Wiki Posts
Search

Finished my 2nd paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Finished my 2nd paint job

Ok, now paint job #2 is in the books. I used liquid mask this time. The flowers and hello kitty on the roof were drawn and cut by hand with a sharpy and xacto knife. The hello kitty on the hood was a paint mask I got from a fellow rctech member in the mail today. It is much cleaner! Only 2 paint jobs done, but I learned something each time and anticipate that will be the case for some time to come!

I sprayed the liquid masking. I love the way it sprays and cuts. I just wish I could free hand draw and cut better.

Most important thing is my six year old daughter loves her hello kitty body!

Last edited by justicepool; 03-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

My wife came in while I was painting and said "you should put more flowers". I glared! LOL. Of course, she was right but those I did took me forever. I'll get faster, but I am not an artist.

After using the paint mask I want to try more of those. Any tips on how long to let it dry before switching to the next color? For instance, after I weeded the outline on the hello kitty and painted it black, how long should I have waited before moving on to the next section? There are a couple of spots where when I pulled the mask up it pulled a little paint with it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

And after my daughter put some stickers on it:

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Use a hair drier to help speed up the process. The reason the paint lifted when you pulled the mask was probably you put it on in too thick of coats. Light coats is the key. The paint was probably built up higher than the mask.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Mel
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Awesome! can't wait for my little girl to be old enough to join in on the painting fun

as far as the mask.. i use pactra laq paint so after a few mins i can peel and paint the next section.. i don't use watrbased too much
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Sweet--literally-if my Daughter saw that I would be copying your design before the paint is even dry..
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Guys,

I wish I would have taken the time to put more flowers on it. But at the time I drew the flowers on the inside of the body.....DOh! Memo to self, you draw the designs on the outside of the body.....correct? LOL. It seemed the way to go AFTER i had everything drawn. So on the outside I could still see my black marker through the liquid mask and I really had no idea how they would turn out. They looked horrible until I removed all the liquid masking and the outside cover of the body. Then I was much more pleased with them.

I also planned on using just two colors for the petals to save time. My daughter picked hot pink, gold, baby blue, and red that she wanted on her body. I messed the number of petals on a few of the flowers and there was an odd petal left hanging....hmmmm...white!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That looks great man..I bet shes really proud of that!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)

The hello kitty on the hood was a paint mask I got from a fellow rctech member in the mail today
Who did you get the mask from? Was it custom cut? My two boys want mario and luigi nintendo bodies. Need to get some high quality masks made by someone who knows what they are doing.

Truck looks great by the way, especially for just your second one.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jhhack
Who did you get the mask from? Was it custom cut? My two boys want mario and luigi nintendo bodies. Need to get some high quality masks made by someone who knows what they are doing.

Truck looks great by the way, especially for just your second one.
Thanks, I posted an ad here on Rctech and had a couple of replies. Here is the email of the person that ended up supplying me with the Hello Kitty mask and a couple more that I asked for. Yes it was custom cut. He was great to deal with and I was very pleased with the quality of the mask. Size and orientation were all custom.

Rctech User id: Gleonhard

John

Last edited by justicepool; 03-27-2011 at 04:30 PM.