Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Painter's Chat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

ive always used masking tape...reason being (Well 2 reasons)

firstly, liquid mask is a right pain in the backside to get over here (well the bob divley (sp) is)

secondly, you dont have to wait about 24 hours for masking tape to dry
Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

ive heard and read about it bleeding? do u use a certain kind? or do u just gotta press it down really good? is that m3 blue painters tape good stuff to use?

thanks monkey
Old 09-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Masking tape usually won't bleed if a very light tac coat is used to seal the mask edge first. You can also use clear with a very fine tip (bristle) brush and run it along the edge of the masking only. That way it can bleed all it wants with the clear but will be imperceptable in the finished product. It will seal the edge of the mask and the color you air brush on won't bleed under the mask.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by regg151
here's a question for you pro's useing the Iwata HP-CS, What and how do you clean your brush? feel free to include all the little details I've had mine now for a few months used it a few times so far and although cleaning it seems fairly straight forward I've noticed that my brush seems to clog a bit easier now then when it was new. i use mainly createx paints as well as spazstix and alclad2.
Your clugging is due to residue buildup and the fact that you are shooting differnt paints through the same brush. I almost hardly ever take an airbrush apart for cleaning. What i do is wipe the color cup of paint, pour water into the clup and spray until the spray pattern is clear. If i feel it need a little more cleaning, ill either use a solvent or mix a little windex/water misture(50/50) and spray through. After this is cleaned, i'd put a few drops of liquid graphite for lubrication. (you can buy that at coast airbrush) This is water proof and reduces clogging. This is the process for WATERBASED PAINTS. With Spazstix, just use thinner. Hope this helps.

Keep at it!!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by charlie_b
Your clugging is due to residue buildup and the fact that you are shooting differnt paints through the same brush. I almost hardly ever take an airbrush apart for cleaning. What i do is wipe the color cup of paint, pour water into the clup and spray until the spray pattern is clear. If i feel it need a little more cleaning, ill either use a solvent or mix a little windex/water misture(50/50) and spray through. After this is cleaned, i'd put a few drops of liquid graphite for lubrication. (you can buy that at coast airbrush) This is water proof and reduces clogging. This is the process for WATERBASED PAINTS. With Spazstix, just use thinner. Hope this helps.

Keep at it!!!!
anyone recommend clen parts in an ultrasonic cleaner?

thanks for the tip charlie_B
Old 09-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Charlie, race 8 of the fseara series was held this weekend, with a concourse between the last qualifier and the mains. There were just under 30 cars entered. Lynn took first with Jason's paint and second with her dragon. 3rd was taken by Tim Kowal. There were a lot of Fl.'s best painters entered and some great work on display. The paint contest was run by a Tampa Custom Auto Body shop that does a lot of vetts and ferrari's and high end sports cars. They don't paint r/c bodies but looked at the overall package, paint/trim/details/ and air brush styles. Her head is really going to swell now!!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

WOOOHOOOOOO!!! CONGRATS LYNN!!!!!! We all need to give Lynn a Big AZZ WHOOOP WHOOPP!!!! One of RCTECH'S Very own SCHOOLING the east coast!!!!!

We are PROUD of you Lynn!!! Please post the bodies as well as the trophies on here!!! Bring HOOOOOOOME the Bacon!!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Pig
Tech Apprentice

Awesome and hearty congrats to Lynn!!

Regg, not sure how the ultrasonic would deal with the chroming on the brush. Over time my airbrush has lost a little chrome, but just from general usage. I'd hate to think it'd lose more from ultrasonic.

Lastly, fav. brush: Iwata HPC
Second fav. because it's still going after 4 years: Badger 155
Old 09-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

okay my step dad like always tries to sound like he knows everything about everything and is telling me all this crap about needing a special air compresor and a special this and that. and im like how come everything u are telling me is not what i am hearing elsewhere and hes like uhh im just telling u to make sure u kno what u are doing. so here i have a question for you guys. can i just use a regular air compressor like one to fill up tires and we have an air hose for it to clean stuff off? this and a moisture trap will be all i need for painting correct?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Moisture trap and regulator is all you need. As long as you can regulate a consistent airflow it doesn't really matter what kind of comressor you have ... honestly. Years ago I used bottled C02 (looks like hairspray bottle and bitchass expensive) and even tires!

I'm assuming by your siggy u are using the paasche VL and guessing you got it in a accessory kit form with a hose. The Paasche braided hose that came in the kit has a 1/4 inch standard fitting on it so any male 1/4 fitting will do just like most air tools. If you don't have the hose you will need one to hook up to the airbrush air valve.

Oh yeah ... I have even used one of those $20 12volt compressors you buy at the hardware store for filling up tires, I just happen to have a spare air tank with a regulator so I hooked it up with the tank and waited to get the pressure up. Takes forever though and you need to be near the car. It kinda sux ... no really ... it does
Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Let me ask this about the Iwata. The hi-line has the "mac" valve. The High Performance HP-C plus and the Eclipse HP-C have the "dual pupose" cutout handle. The regular High performance HP-C (I guess that is what the HP in the HP-C stands for) has the solid handle. How useful is the cutout access to needle adjustment? Basically I have decided on a brush but I just wanna know if the access to the needle adjustment is worth the extra cost?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

put it this way.......i never use it.....
Old 09-23-2004, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thnx. Good enough for me.

Although ... the cutout handle looks kinda high tech and kewl and stuff lol!

Thnx for the comment. Clears it up well enough
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Qranc
Thnx. Good enough for me.

Although ... the cutout handle looks kinda high tech and kewl and stuff lol!

Thnx for the comment. Clears it up well enough
Yep..it does look cool...but really...i do not use the back handle/cover when i am doing fine detail work...i leave the needle exposed in the rear..it gives me more control and more wrist rotation, although you should always point the brush straight to reduce flairing.

anyway...good luck on your search..you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Regional Moderator

Ok, posting the pics for my mom. Here's the first one - the Dragon Alfa 2.0 and Art Jensen's new Mazda 6.
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.