R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Help from the Masters.....

Hi All

I have just got a compressor and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush and this weekend I sat down to paint my first airbrush shell ..!
I have some questions as it went a bit wrong ...I know practice is the key but have some questions...!

1.) How far from the shell should you hold the airbrush and does this change depending on fine or large work?
2.) What pressure should you be spraying at for best results and do you change this for thin and large coverage?
3.) Mask seem to be a hassle for painting shells like I have attached are these shells done with liquid mask?

hope you can give me some tips ...
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (80.3 KB, 145 views)
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I'm not a master but hopefully this will help.

1. For large coverage areas, hold the brush about 8 to 12 inches from the body. For smaller areas, move in closer.
2. For Parma Faskolors, start between 30 and 40 psi, for Pactra Lacquers, start at 15 to 20 psi.

Both of these questions are really answered in practicing with your airbrush. Spray on paper plates or cut up 2 liter coke bottles and get used to the way the brush reacts rather then learning as you go on bodies, which leads to expensive ugly looking cars.

3. It may have been. Cutting something like that from LM requires a steady hand and a very good eye. Most of the painters I know that spray that type of body will use vinyl masks.

For more info, go here
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HauntedMyst
I'm not a master but hopefully this will help.

1. For large coverage areas, hold the brush about 8 to 12 inches from the body. For smaller areas, move in closer.
2. For Parma Faskolors, start between 30 and 40 psi, for Pactra Lacquers, start at 15 to 20 psi.

Both of these questions are really answered in practicing with your airbrush. Spray on paper plates or cut up 2 liter coke bottles and get used to the way the brush reacts rather then learning as you go on bodies, which leads to expensive ugly looking cars.

3. It may have been. Cutting something like that from LM requires a steady hand and a very good eye. Most of the painters I know that spray that type of body will use vinyl masks.

For more info, go here
Thanks for the help and for pointing me to that article of yours .. very helpful Thanks

Just one other question .. if you were painting that shell I posted what mask would you cut first ... I know you normally paint the whites last but looks like you have to start from the front and move back over the shell? Wow must take ages to cut all the maks out I reckon ..! Oh well lots of learning to do I guess...
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote