Sharpie Art

Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 AM
  #1  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
MaTt 93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 581
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Sharpie Art

Hi,
just wondering if any of you guys have done done any sharpie art on rc bodies before? I think it looks pretty awesome and unique.

http://graffart.eu/blog/2010/11/lamb...arpie-markers/

Thanks,
Matt
MaTt 93 is offline  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
  #2  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 33
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

thats impressive
hbcaddy is offline  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Glen Burnout, Maryland
Posts: 1,197
Default

simply amazing, now someone needs to make a rc version hahaha im still blown away by the detail.
xrayzone is offline  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
Sk3tch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conn / Mass
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I could swear I saw an MTV "Cribs" episode where a rapper had a lambo with those kinds of designs.

Either way...That's nuts!
Sk3tch is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM
  #5  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

That's impressive for sure, problem would that they don't make a fine enough sharpie for rc scale
glassjawjm is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (27)
 
pull-start's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dirty Jerzee
Posts: 712
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I wonder what will happen if he takes it to the car wash
pull-start is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

that's awesome, the problem I have with sharpie on lexan is that it hard to get a solid line as the lexan doesn't absorb the ink.
MikeXray is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default sharpie art

Originally Posted by glassjawjm View Post
That's impressive for sure, problem would that they don't make a fine enough sharpie for rc scale

They do make "Sharpies" and other brands of paint pens that are sharp enough for the RC scales. I use them quite a lot. I even paint over them with Faskcolor paint when I am finished with the pen paint colors.
I have used these, and also "highliter" pens if I need a transparent color.
Only problem with the transparent colors is even after they have dried, you need to do a second coat, and this will sometimes lift the first coat.
Try the Elmers brand paint pens,<different widths> and also the original Majic Markers black colors. These are actually a very dark purple or Indian ink in color and not an actual black, but they are so dark in pigment, it is difficut to see any color difference.
Be aware though, if you make a mistake on the indise of the body, and then try to remove the Majic markers with a denatured alcohol, this will leave a residue on the inside that will show through if you finish the body with a light Faskcolor paint.
Grab some markers, and paint pens and give it a shot. You will be surprised.
brc358 is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
  #9  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
They do make "Sharpies" and other brands of paint pens that are sharp enough for the RC scales. I use them quite a lot. I even paint over them with Faskcolor paint when I am finished with the pen paint colors.
I have used these, and also "highliter" pens if I need a transparent color.
Only problem with the transparent colors is even after they have dried, you need to do a second coat, and this will sometimes lift the first coat.
Try the Elmers brand paint pens,<different widths> and also the original Majic Markers black colors. These are actually a very dark purple or Indian ink in color and not an actual black, but they are so dark in pigment, it is difficut to see any color difference.
Be aware though, if you make a mistake on the indise of the body, and then try to remove the Majic markers with a denatured alcohol, this will leave a residue on the inside that will show through if you finish the body with a light Faskcolor paint.
Grab some markers, and paint pens and give it a shot. You will be surprised.
greAt!! Thanks for the info.. I'm going to have to try that
I'm surprised that it would work considering lexan wouldn't soak in the ink.
Do you use the pens as a reference, or is it incorporated into the design??
Please post some pics!
glassjawjm is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Sharpie

Originally Posted by glassjawjm View Post
greAt!! Thanks for the info.. I'm going to have to try that
I'm surprised that it would work considering lexan wouldn't soak in the ink.
Do you use the pens as a reference, or is it incorporated into the design??
Please post some pics!



Here is just a couple. The outlines Porkey Pig and Tazmanian devil were done in paint pens. I then used the paint pens for the interior defining lines of the bodies. I used different widths of paint pens and markers. After they dried, I then use Faskcolor paint. The 1/8th scale with Porkey Pig on it also has Bugs Bunny on the front, Daffey Duck on one side, and Elmer Fudd on the opposite side. I need to finish a little on the side, and then spray the Faskcolor paints.
These were all free handed on the outside, and then drawn on the inside.Y
These were the very first two I have done, but sense then have really be able to refine it to the point where you can not tell the difference in the paint pens, and airbrush paints

Last edited by brc358; 01-03-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
brc358 is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default sharpie art

Originally Posted by brc358 View Post




Here is just a couple. The outlines Porkey Pig and Tazmanian devil were done in paint pens. I then used the paint pens for the interior defining lines of the bodies. I used different widths of paint pens and markers. After they dried, I then use Faskcolor paint. The 1/8th scale with Porkey Pig on it also has Bugs Bunny on the front, Daffey Duck on one side, and Elmer Fudd on the opposite side. I need to finish a little on the side, and then spray the Faskcolor paints.
These were all free handed on the outside, and then drawn on the inside.Y
These were the very first two I have done, but sense then have really be able to refine it to the point where you can not tell the difference in the paint pens, and airbrush paints
..
brc358 is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM
  #12  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Looks awesome!
So you use the pens as a permenent outline/guideline then mask off the lines? Or a very fine airbrush tip?
Pm me your airbrush set-up, been looking to get one
glassjawjm is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Sharpie

Originally Posted by glassjawjm View Post
Looks awesome!
So you use the pens as a permenent outline/guideline then mask off the lines? Or a very fine airbrush tip?
Pm me your airbrush set-up, been looking to get one
To start off, get the design you want to use and make sure it fits the body location.
Draw the design on the outside of the body as you would with a normal paint job. Then use either liquid mask and or tape for the inside of the body.
You can do this two ways.
If you want the design to have a black outline, then outline the design with a paint pen or marker on the inside of the body before you tape it off. Once you remove the tape, the outside lines will remain.

After you tape off the desing, cut as you normally would for a paint finish.
What I did was also used the paint pens to outline some interior defining lines on the inside of Porkey Pig and the Taz. before I painted them.
Once the paint pens and markers have dried<actually pretty fast> then paint your colors as needed.
I use Iwata Eclipse, Badger, and Paschee airbrushes, with Faskcolor paints, but just started to use Auto Air, and some solvent based paints.
I do this just for fun, and to kill time, no professional by any means.
Hope this helps you a little
brc358 is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth, Australia.
Posts: 1,343
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I did this with a sharpie:
http://scooter79rs.deviantart.com/ar...F9652808&qo=12
Scooter79rs is offline  
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
  #15  
Tech Adept
 
powerpunch56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: malaysia
Posts: 180
Default

the lamboghini was SICK
powerpunch56 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.