R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography-59/)
-   -   Realism Thread: Pictures of realistic bodies (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/41970-realism-thread-pictures-realistic-bodies.html)

SammyXp 06-03-2004 12:19 PM

Realism Thread: Pictures of realistic bodies

1 Attachment(s)
I just spent a half hour looking for pictures of scale realistic looking RC cars on this site and found very little. I love the wild graphics in the Custom Paintjob Thread as much as anyone, but one of the biggest reasons I am into RC is simply because I love real cars. And I love seeing more realistic RC cars.
Before anyone says it - yes I am also into scale static models, but it's a heck of a lot more fun being able to see these scale models in action on the street or at the track. I, for one, would love to see a scale model racing class without the unrealistic NASCAR-like shape rules we typically see.

I remember seeing a gorgeous Enzo Ferrari on here a short while ago. I'd love for the owner of that car to post some pictures as well as others.
I'll start out with my box-stock HPI Mercedes CLK DTM Touring Car...

OSherman 06-03-2004 12:36 PM

YES!!! another fan..

I dream of one day participating in a 'Concourse Race' .. where you have to race/mount a body similar in shape/form/livery of an actual race car (British Touring Car, TOCA Touring Car, JGTC, German DTM, Lamborghini SuperCar Series and alike) ..

Both Tamiya and HPI have wonderful candidates in all the categories... HPI 's soon to be released
HPI sponsored Impreza Enduro Replica looks to be a good choice.

I still have an HPI McClarenF1 stored away waiting for this day to come... ;) :D Just needs the NavyBlue GULF livery applied to it.. :nod:

OSherman 06-03-2004 12:46 PM

pic

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/ne...preza/sub1.jpg

OSherman 06-03-2004 12:49 PM

pic

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/ne...preza/sub2.jpg

OSherman 06-03-2004 12:50 PM

it's BIG Brother

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/ne...a/IMG_2660.jpg

SammyXp 06-03-2004 01:04 PM

That thing is nice! I like the idea of the categories based on real car racing series. ROAR tried to keep the touring car sedan bodies realistic for a while, but things have definitely gotten out of control. It used to be that the cars had to represent actual cars that raced in real touring car series in the past ten years. Now, the shells we race with look less and less like their real counterparts.

Bottom line is that these cars are fast as hell and it would be an interesting challenge to race in a series that focused on realism.

s2 06-03-2004 04:43 PM

Thats one nice looking scooby, are those aluminiul wing stand-offs? might be my next drifter???
i also like realistic shels, but the up and own of it is that with people running mazda6s, dodge2s etc, a realistic car just isnt able to keep up. theres a guy at a club i race at, got a great looking Saleen S7 shell, his car is fast, but he loses out bigtime in the complex sections, the shell just doesnt hold like the protoform jelly-mold shells:(

RCXpress 06-03-2004 10:00 PM

It's a bit of a repeat, but I thought I'd add it to this thread anyway - it does fit after all.

Aussie Shell Helix Tourer

I've got another shell the same shape waiting for paint, I just have to decide which scheme to go with.. a repeat of the Helix? Caltex? Pirtek? Betta Electrical? Ah, the list goes on and on.

Geppetto 06-04-2004 06:00 AM

RCXpress: Very nice. Very nice, indeed!!!:nod:

SammyXp 06-04-2004 06:06 AM

Originally posted by s2
i also like realistic shels, but the up and own of it is that with people running mazda6s, dodge2s etc, a realistic car just isnt able to keep up. theres a guy at a club i race at, got a great looking Saleen S7 shell, his car is fast, but he loses out bigtime in the complex sections, the shell just doesnt hold like the protoform jelly-mold shells:(
See this is what I don't get. At the speeds we generally see, I just don't believe the bodies make that much of a difference. If one body has slightly less forward downforce, it can be easily compensated for with suspension adjustments. Problem is that most people use cookie-cutter setups that were tested with the jelly-mold shells and refuse to actually tweak the setups when they switch to a more original and realistic body.

Those Aussie V8 cars are frickin awesome, man. I've watched a few of those races on Speed and I can't believe the stuff those Aussies are doing with cars!

ApexGraphics 06-04-2004 06:49 AM

I agree with you SammyXP. Unless you have mounted the body backwards or the rear wing is missing, the bodies have a lot less effect on the handling of the car than a suspension adjustment. I think a lot of people get lazy and blame the body when they have not rebuilt their differentials and shocks in a month or so.

The reason why I got interested in touring cars was when I first saw a TA02 Tamiya Diebels Alt Mercedes C280. I was a huge fan of the original DTM series before the FIA wrecked it. Todays RC touring cars look about as scale and realistic as the offroad stuff does. The bodies are all basically the same generic shape. But, that's what happens when companies like Losi and Associated and Yokomo get involved with what used to be scale racing cars. They start turning them into what the pan cars became, cartoon versions of what the original idea was. Because of this I haven't raced an RC car in a couple of years. It just does not interest me any more.

OSherman 06-04-2004 07:05 AM

Yup, The Aussie V8's are very cool... that is where i got, and why i've been runing this scheme for the last few months... look familiar?? :sneaky: :D ;)

OSherman 06-04-2004 07:06 AM

OSherman 06-04-2004 07:07 AM

OSherman 06-04-2004 07:08 AM

also have a Mazda6 with stickers applied that looks a lil more racey...

will show pics later...