Wiki Posts
Search

How to paint window borders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default How to paint window borders?

Hey guys, I'm no pro at painting, and I do all of my bodies with spray cans. I was wondering how to paint the borders on the windows of my bodies. I don't want them to be too wide though. Any help is apprieciated.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monster271
Hey guys, I'm no pro at painting, and I do all of my bodies with spray cans. I was wondering how to paint the borders on the windows of my bodies. I don't want them to be too wide though. Any help is apprieciated.
Yeah I been wondering this myself.... I recently got back into this after 14+ years off and noticed like almost 80% of the pics of cars had this done to the body... Is it a trendy thing??? and how is it done?? I don't care if I do mine this way but never knew what the deal was!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (96%+)

Put your window mask on. Spray your body. Take an xacto and cut a border out of the window mask as thick as you'd like around the window. Peel this part of the window mask off. Spray window trim color. Remove window mask.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Lets say for example you want to do a real quick paint job, one color with a window border, say blue with a silver window border. Paint your main color, then once it's dry just come back with an exacto knife and cut about 1/8th inch or so inside of the outer edge of the window mask, then peel away that section, leaving it clear where you want your window border, then spray the silver for the border. Very simple really, just need a little finger control witht the knife.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok yeah, that's how I had thought it was done, but most of the ones I've seen are very smooth. That's cool though, I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

If you are using the masks that came with the body, just drawn your cut lines onto them with a pen before you put them in the body. Following the pen lines with be easier than eyeballing it. Cut the trims before you paint to avoid covering up the guideline.