Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Splatter Problems w/ Iwata Eclipse >

Splatter Problems w/ Iwata Eclipse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splatter Problems w/ Iwata Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Splatter Problems w/ Iwata Eclipse

Hello,

I was just curious as to your opinions as to what could be causing my splatter problems. My setup is:

Iwata Eclipse BCS
Studio Jet Compressor
Faskolor Paints

I keep finding a little moisture in my airhose, but my compressor has a moisture trap on it. I can't seem to get a nice consistant spray without it coming out in watery splats once in a while and then blowing all over the place ruining my paint.

Am I not cleaning the brush properly allowing water to get into my air hose?

I know I've probably been pretty vague with my description, but any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Griffin
Old 03-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would suggest putting an in-line moisture trap..even though the tank has a trap, some moisture can escape via the airhose, plus for an extra $5 it cant hurt to have double protection
Old 03-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Moisture won't cause you problems with acrylic, water based paints. I had the same problem with my Iwata HPC until I started thinning down the paint.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Edit

Last edited by Griffin; 03-18-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the same setup as you do. I agree about thinning your paint. Just add about a teaspoon to your main bottle and shake for a few minutes. Then test the mix on scrape paper or lexan for clean spray. If this issue continues you may have bent your needle.

I also find that only some of the paints you mentioned need to be thinned.

My water trap is full of water right now and clears it's self when I'm using it. This is due to the cold air in my garage.

My guess is that the paint is just being a butt.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Your problem is probably paint.

Have you tried spaztix or all-clad paints? Try them, even if its a small amount so you can see the difference in spraying. The faskolors seem to be a thicker paint and wont spray well in the smaller nozzled iwatas. You can get different sized tips and needles but, I would just get a second brush with a bigger setup. That way you can have one for waterbased paints and one for enamels. Finally, the absolute most important thing you can do for any airbrush to work properly is clean it. I hate it too but if you want a quality product its a must. Good luck, G
Old 03-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I also have Iwata (hp-c). Have you tried removing the nozzle cap when you spray or using a crown cap? sometimes paint builds up in the nozzle and tehn reaches a point where it breaks loose and flies off. The result looks much the same as if water went through the brush.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Splatter Problems w/ Iwata Eclipse

Hi ,
Just saw this,, but how often do you get your splatters, waters, etc, coming out, and with what paint and when do you get it, maybe narow it down with some parameters on technical settings ,, ex, what compressor, how far away yout moisture trap is, what trap it is, " or ' it is away from your tank and how many " or ' it is from your gun, what pressure settings,,, etc etc,,
give us a mental picture of your set-up...
I use the same gun as you occasionally and I never thin the paint,, whether it be laq, wat, or enam..

also sorry for this part, but where are you located and whats your humidity rating like when u spray? and any other temperate randoms in airpressure/tempurature around,, also are you using recent electrical setup for your air compressor. .. ?

love to help,
-Will-
www.WilzWerx.com

Originally posted by Griffin
Hello,

I was just curious as to your opinions as to what could be causing my splatter problems. My setup is:

Iwata Eclipse BCS
Studio Jet Compressor
Faskolor Paints

I keep finding a little moisture in my airhose, but my compressor has a moisture trap on it. I can't seem to get a nice consistant spray without it coming out in watery splats once in a while and then blowing all over the place ruining my paint.

Am I not cleaning the brush properly allowing water to get into my air hose?

I know I've probably been pretty vague with my description, but any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Griffin
Old 03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

I am running a oilless compressor with a couple gallon tank, with 10' of hose not counting the iwata braided hose which it is attatched to. the moisture trap is mounted on the fitting between the regulator and the hose. it is a combination moisture trap/particle filter the brand is campbell hausfield (sp) from wal mart. It is humid in the basement (live close to a swamp) and fairly cool (upper 50's to lower 60's) in the basement. I always clean out the brush thoroughly when i have finished and am sure to blow it out before starting. I also drain the air tank after each use. I did find a couple of air leaks in the brush and sealed them with teflon tape but since they are downstream from the pick up tube i don't think that this is the problem. The pressure I am trying to run is around 25 because any more than that and the paint comes out to fast and runs (or gets blown all over the place) (i generally use faskolor). I only have the problem when trying to do fine, close up work, again it is like a little paintball spat. The problem seems to happen almost every time i open the needle for paint. At first it takes a long time to get the paint to the tip, then when it comes out it splats, then, if i keep going it will spray somewhat normally though it tends to lay the paint out inconsistantly like in little puffs as though it is having trouble keeping the paint in the tube.
I am not sure if i have water in my hoses or not but the water trap doesn't seem to have collected any.

I am not griffin but have many of the same issues. maybe he can confirm this.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Racin Rev,
That sure sounds very similar to the problem I had. I had an air leak where the nozzle cap screws on to the brush.

Spray your brush with a soapy solution and open the trigger fully with the cup empty. Any air leaks will show by bubbling up the soapy fluid. I think you may still have an air leak.
Also check the lines for leaks.

Also for that type of spraying you should have your psi. set at 5-15.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

yeah,
had the air leak but plugged it with teflon tape. no significant change. if i go lower than about 25 it doesn't want to draw.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

if i go lower than about 25 it doesn't want to draw.
That's what makes me think you still have an air leak. If there's not enough back pressure the paint won't draw. I honestly don't know what else it could be. Possibly a bent needle, but not sure about that.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will happen by.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

I wonder if it is possible to just buy a top feed body and put the guts in it? I hate the idea of dealing with all the mess but i bet it always feeds.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

I have wondered about the tube where the paint bottle goes into the bottom of the airbrush. occasionally the paint bottle will fall out. It can't be a perfect seal but i am not sure what to do about it. Teflon tape is too thick it just bunches up the tube.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

Try a different cup. Maybe you can find one with a different design that will fit.

Sounds like that's where your problem is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.