Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ? >

What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ?

What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
Thought I'd do some comparisons for you guys: The lowes gun has a 1.4 tip, the HF gun has a 1.4 and 1.8 tip. Upon opening the HF gun the small paint cup had been cross threaded (I am assuming it came off of a shelf, so I got to call and see what they will do). The HF gun just felt cheap beside the kobalt gun , it was lighter, flimsier and just doesn't feel as good in your hand. The Kobalt cup is much stronger than the flimsy cup with the HF gun. I am not a professional and have maybe sprayed a total of two cars (mainly pieces here and there) I have sprayed a lot of steel structural stuff with the kobalt gun and it does good with paint and clear. I sprayed my 05 f150 fender with it, and you can't tell a difference in what I done and the factory paint (It was metallic silver two) after it was sanded and buffed. I originally bought the kobalt gun for furniture as I build quite a bit of furniture for family and myself as a hobby. I have sprayed laquer, urethane, and enamel with it. All has turned out well. The only downfall to the kobalt gun is the only tip you can get for it is a 1.4 tip. I plan to use the HF gun for primer with the 1.8 tip. If I had to choose, It would be the Kobalt gun hands down for the price. I am really curious about the other Kobalt "automotive" gun like all Industrial https://mechanicguides.com/best-60-g...ir-compressor/ There are a lot of useful videos on this subject on Youtube, I'll leave one here,Hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Last edited by Ylenor; 08-01-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Whats better bottom feed or gravity feed for an airbrush? I have to finally buy a new one.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ceh329 View Post
Whats better bottom feed or gravity feed for an airbrush? I have to finally buy a new one.
There is no "better". Just better for your use. See this link.

https://sites.google.com/site/donsai...vity-or-siphon
Old 01-29-2019, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

GRAVITY... ..

as far as a garage comp. I used 1 for many years. just had my regulator on my tank close to my brush.with a drier
Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gravity is much easier to deal with
  • You can paint with much small amounts of paint.
  • Its much less sensitive to viscosity.
  • Its mechanically simpler
  • No hanging jar to bump into your work or fingers.
However it is a little less flexible since you're stuck with a single cup size. I had so much frustration with my first brush which was a bottom feed. I almost gave up on airbrushing until I got a gravity feed. Now I have enough experience that I can use a bottom feed, but I'd recommend newbies start with a gravity feed.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello, I started painting miniatures about three months ago, and I wanted to get an airbrush for a few reasons.
One, painting shades of white tends to be awful, and even the Ulthuan gray I use as a substitute tends to still produce visible brush strokes. This is especially important, as I have Black Templar Space Marines.

Two, I wanted to be able to prime miniatures indoors, and paint large areas of a model quickly.

Finally, I just wanted to take the next step as a painter and generally improve the way my models look. From what I understand airbrushes can make things like fabric that involve gradients/color transitions look nicer, and are capable of producing some very nice effects.

I was just wondering what airbrushes that are both good for beginners and high quality. I also want it to serve me well for quite a while; while I want something that a beginner such as myself can effectively use with some practice, I don't want to have to buy a new one for a while. As far as price goes, I would prefer something less than $175. Finally, I should also note that I live in the United States, so if it's available at some place like Hobby Lobby that would be highly convenient.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by audreyspency; 02-25-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by audreyspency View Post
Hello, I started painting miniatures about three months ago, and I wanted to get an airbrush for a few reasons.
One, painting shades of white tends to be awful, and even the Ulthuan gray I use as a substitute tends to still produce visible brush strokes. This is especially important, as I have Black Templar Space Marines.

Two, I wanted to be able to prime miniatures indoors, and paint large areas of a model quickly.

Finally, I just wanted to take the next step as a painter and generally improve the way my models look. From what I understand airbrushes can make things like fabric that involve gradients/color transitions look nicer, and are capable of producing some very nice effects.

I was just wondering what airbrushes that are both good for beginners and high quality. I also want it to serve me well for quite a while; while I want something that a beginner such as myself can effectively use with some practice, I don't want to have to buy a new one for a while. As far as price goes, I would prefer something less than $175. Finally, I should also note that I live in the United States, so if it's available at some place like Hobby Lobby that would be highly convenient.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
I would go with a Iwata Neo (cheapest comes stock with .35 needle set) The Iwata revolution comes stock with a .5mm needle set (this may be a little big for miniatures) or my favorite the Iwata Eclipse. Comes stock with a .35 needle set. I'm a side feed airbrush fan but for my first airbrush I would stick with gravity fed.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I think that Master G33 should be very suitable for beginners