Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Faskolor problems, please help.... >

Faskolor problems, please help....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faskolor problems, please help....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Angry Faskolor problems, please help....

I have sprayed Pactra for years with great success and recently bought some Faskolor to try. Here is my problem, I cannot get consistent coverage and the paint comes out blotchy? I have tried thicker, thinner, changing air pressure, but the results are still the same. I know that a lot of people spray Faskolor, so what am I doing wrong? Being water based, can you thin with water or do you have to use the Fascleaner to thin? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

You can thin it with water or fascleaner. Fascleaner is just windsheild wiper fluid, so buy a gallon of it and use it to thin and clean the brush when your done.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Faskolor

Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine suggested that I do not thin the pearl colors, does anyone suggest the same? I am having the most trouble with the pearls.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

I've got several bottles of of pearl Faskolor than are as think as mustard. No way to shoot it without thinning. It won't even go through the brush at 50 psi. Faspearl Red seems to be the worst of the lot.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I hardly ever have to thin my faskolor paint. I've used all sorts of it (pearl, fasflourescent, and the normal colors) and I rarly have to thin it, even with a small tip. I have an Aztech (not sure which model, one of their higher end ones) air brush and spray around 28 psi. If I ever need to thin the paint which I do need to do ocassionally I just use an eye dropper and some water. You do have to make sure you shake it real well ,but I think everyone knows that.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by racerdx6
but I think everyone knows that.
Everyone excpet you Weylin haha. Just kiddin.

-Sushi Boy
Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Also, make sure you have your airbrush built correctly, and tightly. If you have a small air leak, it will show up in the thinker faskolor paints.

I figured out a slight problem I had been battling with just the other day, that I had a slight air leak coming back in the cup. It wouldn't show while spraying water, or any of the laquers I use ( alclad ), but it did with faskolor.

After tightening everything tighter than I had been, just slightly tighter than finger-tight, and I didn't have any more seal problems.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

I tried Faspearl White with a bit of thinning, it came off...seems not a good idea to do that. Are Faskolor in general have less 'stickiness' to lexan compare to other paints?
My first time trying Faskolor. I use Tamiya PC, works great everytime.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Faskolor

The one I thing I believe is important regarding faskolor paints, is thin coats. Im like everyone else, I want to get it done and look at it, but a person should really use as thin of caoats as possible. This gives the paint the best adhesion properties and drys the fastest. It also will help to prevent bleeding of the paint under masking tape or whatever medium you are using. I just tried a new product to back the faskolor after Im finished. It allows a person to wipe offthe inside of the body with water and a rag with out it taking off all the color. You can get it from 2 companies that I know of. House of color and PPG. Its called intercoat clear. Its like a clear coating but dries as fast as faskolor. You can mix it and it will keep for months. Works great on wings for offroad vehicles. Later G
Old 02-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Are there any special thinning method you use? Cause my thinning doesn't seem to work.
thanks.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nope.

Faskolor isnt a great paint, so its tough to do anything with. You cant really thin it. I mean, you can but you cant. The paint is thick. I believe the only way you can make it spray properly is going with a bigger tip on the airbrush. The down side is you will lose detailing (small lines). The paint works good for its purpose which is to be a bit more enviromentaly safe but it doesnt have good bonding properties like enamels. What I have been doing is using enamels for details and faskolor for bigger sections. Remember you can back enamel with faskolor but not the other way around, it will crack the paint. In summary, dont bother thinning the stuff its not worth it. Some colors will flow better than others. Dont know why but they do. Good luck, G
Old 02-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

right, i keep that in mind. thanks again for the tips.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

To make it a little bit confusing for you;

You can thin it, not to much but sure enough to spray it with a 0.4 nozzle at a pressure around 2.5 - 3.5 BAR. (For thinning, use Createx Auto air reducer,it adds binder to the colors as it thins them so the adhesive properties of the colors will not be lost) The key when using Faskolor, or any water based paint, you really really need to cure them before spraying the next layer (otherwise the moisture of the underneath layers hardly can escape witch result in a paint job that needs to cure several weeks) . I use about 5 to 10 layers for one coverage. Every layer is like a mist. I heat cure them with a paint stripper but I advice you to you use a hairdryer, it's a bit more save. And last but not least, you can back Faskolor with enamel paints. But , as I mentioned above, you really need to be sure that the paint is cured! (if you think the paint is totally cured, leave it to dry an extra night in a warm dry environment)

Regards,

"Potje"