R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography-59/)
-   -   Paint on car - vandals! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/309975-paint-car-vandals.html)

bodug60 07-06-2009 11:33 AM

Paint on car - vandals!

So, I'm not sure if this is where I could post something like this, but I need help. My neighor's car got hit by vandals last night who painted a smiley face in spray paint on my neighbor's hood. Is there any way we can get this off with out damaging the paint job on the car?

What a horrible thing for someone to do!

Help please . . .

Colors_By_Dave 07-06-2009 11:58 AM

I would just go to a body shop and pay them to remove it.

Chances are denatured alcohol will remove it without harming the automotive finish, but not knowing anything about the paint on the car, no telling what can happen.

Insurance should cover it.

joe of loath 07-06-2009 12:00 PM

at least it was a smiley face, not something offensive...

bodug60 07-06-2009 03:56 PM

Yeah - that's going to be expensive to take it to a shop, and she has a high deductible.

Yeah - I guess it could have been worse than a smiley face, that's for shure.

purerockfury 07-06-2009 04:21 PM

try a rubbing compound or something similar. it's like a wax that is abrasive it may remove it without harming the paint. you will definately need to wax after you are done.

but a body shop would be best. get prices from different shops. there are also people who will come to your work or home and remove dents, and do paint repairs. they might be able to help also.

Wartooth 07-06-2009 04:52 PM

Put a sticker over it. Thats what I do.

a_main_attendee 07-06-2009 05:14 PM

Warm water and soap. It should come off pretty easily.

Our truck got spraypainted a bit ago, and all it took was a rag and some dish soap. You couldn't tell it even happened.

HeavyHitterz 07-06-2009 05:21 PM

Go to auto zone /pep boys and buy a CLAY BAR. Will be off in a minute and then finish the car so it gets the nice gloss back :)

The participant 07-06-2009 05:53 PM

you can use oven cleaner on it spray it on,with the hood wet and then let it sit for about 1 min, then rinse it then wash with soap and water like dawn and re-wax the car iknow it seems extreme but it works very we'll was shown this by a body guy on my own car.... dont let the oven cleaner sit very long

EViLSouL 07-06-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by HeavyHitterz (Post 6031906)
Go to auto zone /pep boys and buy a CLAY BAR. Will be off in a minute and then finish the car so it gets the nice gloss back :)

+1. Been detailing for years and that will take it right off. The paint lays on the clearcoat not the paint.

Colors_By_Dave 07-07-2009 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by The participant (Post 6032050)
you can use oven cleaner on it spray it on,with the hood wet and then let it sit for about 1 min, then rinse it then wash with soap and water like dawn and re-wax the car iknow it seems extreme but it works very we'll was shown this by a body guy on my own car.... dont let the oven cleaner sit very long

Homie say WHAT?????

You gotta be s***in me! Oven cleaner will take off your fingerprints. Safe on a car finish?

Maybe I learned something new today?

a_main_attendee 07-07-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave (Post 6034681)
Homie say WHAT?????

You gotta be s***in me! Oven cleaner will take off your fingerprints. Safe on a car finish?

Maybe I learned something new today?

...Yeah, i've seen oven cleaner burn through linoleum. I wouldn't take my chances on a car's clear coat. :weird:

charlie_b 07-07-2009 12:18 PM

Any Auto Detailer can take that off. remember, since the Spray paint isn't clear coated, their cleaner/polisher should remove it with no issues. Oven cleaner will not only destroy your clearcoat but damage the paint as well.

mist467 07-07-2009 02:09 PM

like was stated...clay bar will take it right off...other thing is laqauer thinner...it does not harm the clear coat...thats what we use to always remove tar and other road grime off cars...just wax it when ur done becuase the paint could haze up a lil if its dark...

popdada 07-10-2009 04:33 PM

wow! that just happened in my neighborhood too! whole bunch of cars got spraypainted...luckly all I got was a some suff draw on my mirrors...