Wiki Posts
Search

I want to start airbrushing ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcterp
Wow, I just want to thank you for starting this thread.... one more thing I now think I want to spend money on

Keep the info coming, I'm already sucked in.

and before you know it you will have a grand tied up in tools and paints !!!

Just don't get into it thinking it will become a hobby that makes you rich. You'd have to paint several hundred bodies a year just to get above poverty level.

Now if RC airbrushing leads you into custom auto or bike painting, THEN you could make some money!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
The REVOlution CR (haha) is a great RC paint tool. Priced right, and has the right tip size for most waterbased paints like Faskolors/Createx.

The Eclipse HP-CS, while more money, is the next level up, and has many nice features that will let you grow with it longer, and use it for most anything you want. The one feature I like the most is that the Eclipse has a tapered seat (drop-in) nozzle, that makes it a breeze to clean. The Revo CR uses a screw-in tip, that can get messed up if you aren't careful. The Eclipse is designed for better airflow than the CR.

In defense of the CR, some of the BEST RC painters out there use it, and you know what they say.....It's the artist, not the brush, that makes a great work of art.

On the pressure filter/regulator....I keep my regulator nearby, becuase I adjust pressures based on needs of the task. So don't anchor your regulator 50' away from where you paint. The long run of hose will also cause a drop in pressure after you regulate. If you want the compressor 50' away, mount your regulator/water trap at your bench, connect it to the compressor with hose or pipe, then keep your airbrush hose short from the regulator to the brush (10' is handy).
Note made on the regulator placement. Makes sense to me.

How often do you need to clean the brush? (Obviously when finished for the day) Do you need to pull it apart when changing colors every time?

Originally Posted by rcterp
Wow, I just want to thank you for starting this thread.... one more thing I now think I want to spend money on

Keep the info coming, I'm already sucked in.
I know...sorry I got this clear body sitting here, and really did not want to rattle can it like previous ones.....and watching all the cool videos I see on YouTube make this look soooo eassy. Yet I do know better.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Just don't get into it thinking it will become a hobby that makes you rich. You'd have to paint several hundred bodies a year just to get above poverty level.
Don't tell my wife that....everything I do makes ga-zillions!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
All I can seem to find at Sears.com is a pressure regulator for 35$ No moisture control.

coastairbrush.com has a couple for around 35$ SMC & a Paasche
Sears should have it. I got mine from home depot. $15 - $20.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigGus71
Sears should have it. I got mine from home depot. $15 - $20.
I guess I'll have to ask next time I'm over at the mall....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

The REVOlution CR (haha) is a great RC paint tool. Priced right, and has the right tip size for most waterbased paints like Faskolors/Createx.

The Eclipse HP-CS, while more money, is the next level up, and has many nice features that will let you grow with it longer, and use it for most anything you want. The one feature I like the most is that the Eclipse has a tapered seat (drop-in) nozzle, that makes it a breeze to clean. The Revo CR uses a screw-in tip, that can get messed up if you aren't careful. The Eclipse is designed for better airflow than the CR.

In defense of the CR, some of the BEST RC painters out there use it, and you know what they say.....It's the artist, not the brush, that makes a great work of art.

On the pressure filter/regulator....I keep my regulator nearby, becuase I adjust pressures based on needs of the task. So don't anchor your regulator 50' away from where you paint. The long run of hose will also cause a drop in pressure after you regulate. If you want the compressor 50' away, mount your regulator/water trap at your bench, connect it to the compressor with hose or pipe, then keep your airbrush hose short from the regulator to the brush (10' is handy).
Should have mentioned I have a 1/2" hose going to a distribution block on my bench. Would it matter if the regulator was there or not? The airbrush only uses an 1/8" hose.

Can I ask what you are adjusting your pressure for? I mostly use faskolor and they all seem to spray well at the same pressure.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

I guess I'll have to ask next time I'm over at the mall....
I was just at a Harbor Freight, they have them there. Cheap too, $10. Not sure if money is an issue.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

I was just at a Harbor Freight, they have them there. Cheap too, $10. Not sure if money is an issue.
I love harbor freight stuff. I am cheap, and love a good bargain.

That's where I got my little portable compressor from like 99$ on sale.....works great for years, light and quiet.

Just a 40 min drive to get there for me. I tried shipping once....took 3 weeks to get a couple small items....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

I love harbor freight stuff. I am cheap, and love a good bargain.

That's where I got my little portable compressor from like 99$ on sale.....works great for years, light and quiet.

Just a 40 min drive to get there for me. I tried shipping once....took 3 weeks to get a couple small items....
Sounds like you're better off taking the drive. LOL.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Should have mentioned I have a 1/2" hose going to a distribution block on my bench. Would it matter if the regulator was there or not? The airbrush only uses an 1/8" hose.

Can I ask what you are adjusting your pressure for? I mostly use faskolor and they all seem to spray well at the same pressure.

Regulating closer to the brush cuts down on pulsation from air pressure changes. Long hoses act as pressure vessels that bleed down when you trigger the AB. So you will get an initial blast for full pressure then it will drop off which results in less control.

I change pressure because not everything is a big "fill in the empty area" type of operation. For that you can spray with a rattle can or a single action AB. When doing work where you want precise amounts of paint, or finer control of overspray, you won't be spraying Faskolors at 65psi. Spaz chrome is a good example....it's water thin, and needs only 10-15 psi max thru my AB. So I dial it down. When it's time to clean up and spray a bunch of water or thinner thru the AB, I crank it up higher. Less pressure means less overspray to deal with...on the body, and around the shop.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

have a good setup photo of your booth Dave? One of the things I would do is build a little wood booth with a fan in the back.....likely venting outside.

My basement is currently unfinished, so alot of free room down there.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Mine is simple.

A bench in the corner of the basement (split level house) with windows on both walls. I open the windows and put a small fan in the one window and off I go.

I even spray stinky lacquers in there and as long as I keep the door closed to the rest of the house, it's fine.

I do wear a respirator that I picked up at Ace Hardware. Keeps the nose clear from "skittles" (nasty paint colored boogers).
Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Regulating closer to the brush cuts down on pulsation from air pressure changes. Long hoses act as pressure vessels that bleed down when you trigger the AB. So you will get an initial blast for full pressure then it will drop off which results in less control.

I change pressure because not everything is a big "fill in the empty area" type of operation. For that you can spray with a rattle can or a single action AB. When doing work where you want precise amounts of paint, or finer control of overspray, you won't be spraying Faskolors at 65psi. Spaz chrome is a good example....it's water thin, and needs only 10-15 psi max thru my AB. So I dial it down. When it's time to clean up and spray a bunch of water or thinner thru the AB, I crank it up higher. Less pressure means less overspray to deal with...on the body, and around the shop.
Makes sense. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give it a shot on some scrap lexan, then see what I can do on my son's new crawler body.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

I guess it's trying to decide between a Eclipse HP-CS or Revo CR. It's about a 50$ price difference, and I really don't know much of a difference besides the nozzle is easier to clean on the CS. Right now I would lean toward the CR unless there are some other advantages of the CS I am not aware of.

Besides that, I guess a 10' hose, the moisture\pressure regulator & adapter to hook a standard auto air hose to the regulator.

Anything special needed for cleanup of the brush? Or do you just run a little water threw it as it's water based paint?

Any additives needed to be added to the paint, or can it be used as is?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Check out iwata's website for the "under the hood" comparisons of the CS and the CR. Both are great tools, and with diligent shopping you can get them for about $65 and $115. For me, the $50 was worth it.

Staples on my bench:

paints (duh) and lots of them
AutoAir 4011 reducer
AutoAir Restorer/cleaner - THE BEST STUFF ! MUST HAVE !!!!
denatured alcohol (Ace Hardware)
lacquer thinner (Ace)
Windex (ace)
Dively's liquid mask (Al's)
3m blue tape (ace)
3m green tape (stronger stick) (Pep Boys - Ace didn't have it ?)
Sharpies (you know)
clear transfer tape for tracing designs (sign supply shop in Lisle, but there must be sources nearer to you)
xacto knife and lots of #11 blades (Ace, ebay for bulk blades by the 100)
free paper napkins swiped from McDonalds, Wendys, Chipotle (cuts down on paper towel waste)

Jump on in !!! The water's fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.