Wiki Posts
Search

EQUIPMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default EQUIPMENT!

Ok so i've taken some interest in picking up an airbrush and other supplies to start painting my own bodies. So the questions i've come up with:

-What a good starter airbrush? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I dont want some 40 dollar harbor freight type deal.

-Whats the best type of paint? When I used to airbrush, I just had a few jars of the Parma stuff, I dont know if there are any other options

-The only air compressors I have access to are giant 200ish gallon industrial ones at my Hotrod shop... do I need to rig up some sort of regulator, or does the brush have one built in?

-Whats the best kind of liquid mask to use?

-Where can I get one of those "swivel" xacto knifes?

Thats all I can think of for now... thanks in advance~
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Allumina
-What a good starter airbrush? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I dont want some 40 dollar harbor freight type deal.

-Whats the best type of paint? When I used to airbrush, I just had a few jars of the Parma stuff, I dont know if there are any other options

-The only air compressors I have access to are giant 200ish gallon industrial ones at my Hotrod shop... do I need to rig up some sort of regulator, or does the brush have one built in?

-Whats the best kind of liquid mask to use?

-Where can I get one of those "swivel" xacto knifes?

Thats all I can think of for now... thanks in advance~
1)An Iwata eclipse gravity feed ab will do it all
2)Tons of options, if you have a local automotive paint store thay may carry the AutoAir line of wb paint as well as the Kustom Kolor lines. Then there's the creatix and fastcolor lines avalible at many hobbie stores.
3)You will need a regulator and water trap
4)Parma or bob dively
5)Hobby store but a standard #11 exacto is the best

This place is a painters disneyland
http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=108
Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I too recomend Coast airbrush. I would get something in the Iwata Eclipse line either an Hp-cs or Kustom Cs for a few bucks more. I also like my DeVilbiss Dag'r quite a bit.
I like Auto Air, Alsa, and the House of Kolor lines. I haven't tried the Kustom Kolor lines which is Valspar's (owners of HOK) attempt at a model paint line, not the same formulas or type of paint as the real thing.
A regulator, not an air adjusting valve, and a good filter are all you need to use a big compressor with your air brush. With all the adapters to connect, call Coast and tell them what you have and when you choose a brush they will get you all the fittings you need. As them about the new centrifugal air driers.
I'd also consider a small HVLP gun in your set up, Harbor Freight has a cheap one that works okay and would cover your needs. Also Coast sells some good small ones. I use one for flakes and large area coverage. With a small fan 4-6" its easier and more consistent in medium to large area coverage. I can also usually get a lighter and thinner base paint, saving weight and getting better adhesion. For flakes you can use real flake out of a bigger gun. I use an Iwata LPH-80 and DeVilbiss Sri-w, but they are for my custom guitar business, and spray RC Cars in their off hours.

Don't forget safety equipment.
If your going to try the uro's or anything with a solvent base get a 3m painters mask too. They last quite a long time if you keep them sealed in an air tight container when not in use. If your spraying Auto Air I would still wear at least a dust mask, its 0 voc but still not something you want in your lungs.
I don't use liquid mask, I keep meaning to try it.
I use plain straight razor blades, they're cheaper I feel like I have more control.
If you can spare the time I would go to a Craig Frasier's class at an Airbrush Action get away or get his Intro to Automotive Airbrushing Dvd.

Last edited by Syxxstring; 09-09-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.bearair.com/prodinfo.asp?number=160340

Do these paints work for RC bodies?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Yes it will, that is pretty much the only paint I use.