Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
airbrush qusetions , requesting airbrush pros' >

airbrush qusetions , requesting airbrush pros'

airbrush qusetions , requesting airbrush pros'

Old 08-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation airbrush qusetions , requesting airbrush pros'

im about to pick up an iwata HP-CH(highline) is that a lot better than the HP-C? its about a 40 dollar price difference...

www.dixieart.com
from that site , lets suppose i got the HP-CH, what else would i need? assuming that i would get the iwata spring or smart jet compressor later on(ill use my neighbors airbrush comopressor)

my current list would be
-----------------------
HP-CH
COBRA hose
airbrush cleaner
other airbrush cleaning materials
compressor, smartjet or sprnitjet
------------------------

well wut is the difference between tehse two hoses for the IWATA airbrush?

===============
10 ft. cobra coil airhose: $16.95
94 CTI10: 10 ft. cobra coil airhose: $16.95

10 ft. cobra coil airhose for RG-2 ,W-100: $14.95
94 CTI10RG: 10 ft. cobra coil airhose for RG-2 ,W-100: $14.95
==================

also what airbrush cleaning tools do i need? i heard that i need some kind of liquid, can i just use water?

also what other cleanign tools do i need? like brushes to clean off?

are the iwata compressors good? i want to buy the iwata ones just to advoid messing around with the connections(hoses) i would be mad if the hoses didnt fit after i bought them

thx
Old 08-29-2003, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

Not quite what you're asking, but hopefully of help;

Why oh why are you looking at the HP-C instead of an Eclipse?

Let's compare their parts, for example. Go to BearAir.com, and look up the exploded images of each gun. Check out the nozzles of each one.
That itty bitty fragile little thing in the HP-C will cost you at least $32 to replace when it gives out.
The same part for the Eclipse on the other hand is three times as big, thus will last longer, and when the need finally comes it will only cost $10 for a replacement.

Small = fragile and costly
Large = strong and cheap

Now.. if you truly believe that the peformance benefit that far outweighs the maintenance costs, all the more power to you. But just let me say that I have yet to outstrip the performance capabilities of my stable of Eclipses, even on canvas. If I really did need more detail I'd jump up to a Custom Micron.. but I just haven't had need of it.

But, to each their own. I just felt it might be a good idea to point out the potential post-purchase expenses - something to think about.

Cheers,
and happy painting!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

You don't have to worry so much about the hose fitting the compressor... Most compressors designed for airbrushes have a standard connection for the hose. the only end that might be connection specific in my experience would be the side of the hose that connects to the brush, so you just make sure that the hose is made for your brush. For example, I have an Iwata SmartJet, which I use with my Paasche hose.

BearAir carries a set of airbrusher's cleaning brushes that resemble pipe cleaner wires, in varying sizes. These are great for getting into just about every nook and cranny of the brush.

I use an Airbrush Cleaning liquid which is mixed with warm water for soaking the airbrush parts. To me, it does a very good job of loosening a LOT of paint residue that tends to stay in the brush. I would recommend something like that.

Like I mentioned, I currently have a SmartJet, and I'm happy with it. If you have a little extra $$ to spend, and if you plan on doing any fine art, I would recommend a compressor that has a storage tank (the Iwata PowerJet is not a bad low cost one, and similar to the Silent-Aire Super Silent 20-A), since tankless compressors can sometimes cause a "pulsed" spray pattern, although you really don't see it when it comes to painting bodies.