Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loveless
Heres what im doing, i cut a desighn spray it with 3m contact spray, lay it on the outside of the body, trace it out, then after its dry with liquid mask in the inside i cut my desighn out, will using the vinyl cutter cut the time in half, is the the long way im doing this
I think so. But it might not. You still would have to design it on the computer to the measurments needed. Maybe on things like flames and letters it would.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing to think about too. US Cutter is great, but unless you are going to utilize the whole 24" worth of cutter, i really feel it isn't needed for ALL painters. I mean, how many painters here besides pro painters actually paint EVERYDAY? Another thing you have to think about is space. Try lugging around a 24" cutter. Not gonna happen.

Shopping for a vinyl cutter is much easier now than it was 10 years ago when i first got my Roland Stika. You will have to consider how much (actual)use you will have with your cutter compared to how much "intended" use you will have. If you only plan on painting once or twice a month. anything bigger than a 15" cutter is plain overkill. If you plan on opening up a little sign business, then a 24" is a good starter. Either way, shop smart is all i am saying.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Charlie, ygpm @ CFX.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by charlie_b
One thing to think about too. US Cutter is great, but unless you are going to utilize the whole 24" worth of cutter, i really feel it isn't needed for ALL painters. I mean, how many painters here besides pro painters actually paint EVERYDAY? Another thing you have to think about is space. Try lugging around a 24" cutter. Not gonna happen.

Shopping for a vinyl cutter is much easier now than it was 10 years ago when i first got my Roland Stika. You will have to consider how much (actual)use you will have with your cutter compared to how much "intended" use you will have. If you only plan on painting once or twice a month. anything bigger than a 15" cutter is plain overkill. If you plan on opening up a little sign business, then a 24" is a good starter. Either way, shop smart is all i am saying.
I lika the waya you thinka!
I would like to paint my own bodies (probably a few a year) and maybe help some others out that like my paint jobs. I do it because I enjoy it, not to make money. I am looking for something that is inexpensive and dependable. The USCutters is a reasonable price, but I wonder if I could get something better, but smaller, for that price or less. I am not sure where to go from here. I have been watching US cutters auctions. IMO they are shill bidding. I am not comfortable paying any money to a company that engages in that kind of behavior. Not that I won't, but I want to see what else is available.

What are some good, affordable, smaller format cutters? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Charlie, ygpm @ CFX.
Mike..PM answered!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Larks
I lika the waya you thinka!
I would like to paint my own bodies (probably a few a year) and maybe help some others out that like my paint jobs. I do it because I enjoy it, not to make money. I am looking for something that is inexpensive and dependable. The USCutters is a reasonable price, but I wonder if I could get something better, but smaller, for that price or less. I am not sure where to go from here. I have been watching US cutters auctions. IMO they are shill bidding. I am not comfortable paying any money to a company that engages in that kind of behavior. Not that I won't, but I want to see what else is available.

What are some good, affordable, smaller format cutters? Thanks!
If you are looking for affordable, Roland is out of the question.
US cutter has a smaller 8" cutter i believe that might fit your needs. OOC is also on sale at CFX...under $300.

Regardless of what US Cutter or any cutter does on ebay...it comes down to the product. I have a Roland, Craft Robo, and US cutter...i love all of them.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

It looks like I will have to sell my Stika STX-8 and buy something else. I have a new PC and it is windows Vista w/64 bit program...won't even attempt to let me use the machine on it, no updates available to do so.

What are these things worth nowadays, i'm sure not nearly the $650 or so I paid for it about 8-9 years ago?

Time to search for a viable replacement that won't break the bank and works with Vista. :/

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
It looks like I will have to sell my Stika STX-8 and buy something else. I have a new PC and it is windows Vista w/64 bit program...won't even attempt to let me use the machine on it, no updates available to do so.

What are these things worth nowadays, i'm sure not nearly the $650 or so I paid for it about 8-9 years ago?

Time to search for a viable replacement that won't break the bank and works with Vista. :/

...Jim
W.E.D.
Jim, with the Roland Cut Studio program($60) you can cut directly from Adobe Illustrator. If you already have your Roland..no point buying another one.

Call me if you have any questions man..no need to spend $$$ unless you want to.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Charlie, that would be great if I could figure out this driver issue. I can't even get it to acknowledge the machine from a USB port. I did find software that works on earlier 32 bit systems for Vista, but not mine(64 bit).

Can you tell I am not very computer savvy? lol

I also don't have Adobe illustrator.....>sigh<.

I would be all over it if there is a way to make this work, even for a few hundred bucks, which is what a new machine would cost anyway. Very frustrating to this point trying to make it work with my limited skills and not wanting to hire a pro.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Is your Stika usb or serieal? With mine, i used a serial to usb adapter.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Charlie, I bought an adapter, but my new computer just says, "this can not be loaded to this location, please read manual".

BUT

I hooked up my old PC, used the reboot disk, cleaned up the drive and erased all the limewire and AOL junk my kid had on it to crash it in the first place.
Then got my machine working from that PC.
So i'm up and running again, but it wasn't pretty! lol

You would think for what I spent on this new monster it would do anything.......Nope. 750G harddrive, 4G ram, etc., etc....Then Vista software, haha.

Thanks though for trying to help, it is appreciated!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jim - I had the Stika for awhile on a Vista 32 Home edition computer. Does your cutting software use a dongle? I had to download a HASP Device driver to get it to work. Will Vista 64 let you run in 32 bit mode? I ended up selling the Stika because my 24" Ioline cuts much better. I ended up getting like $300 for it.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Pinstripe question

Question from a plotter newb. I purchased a Craft Robo and I have Illustrator CS2.

I can create some cool patterns - but I can't figure out how to make pinstripes! Is there a setting in CS2 that allows me to copy and place a new line within a certain distance of the original? Do I need to create a certain thickness of stroke and then some how outline it??

This is probably a pretty basic question but I'm stuck! Thanks for any and all help!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jagger
Question from a plotter newb. I purchased a Craft Robo and I have Illustrator CS2.

I can create some cool patterns - but I can't figure out how to make pinstripes! Is there a setting in CS2 that allows me to copy and place a new line within a certain distance of the original? Do I need to create a certain thickness of stroke and then some how outline it??

This is probably a pretty basic question but I'm stuck! Thanks for any and all help!
Just make your stroke to the thickness you like, then right click, create outlines.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

That is my next issue, software. Are there any that are not $500 but are decent for limited use for logos or similar tasks?

...Jim
W.E.D.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.