Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a question about vinyl cutter software, I am getting a cutter to use, running XP basically all I would like to do is be able to cut basic designs, ie: Tribal, Flames, Stars, Letters and Numbers.

What do you guys recommend, that will be simple and user friendly?

Cheap would be good too!!!

Thanks
Grant
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Lifeguy....from my research the cheapest and easiest would be to use the signblazer software that comes free with the US Cutter models. I have seen a buddy use it and it looked super simple....thats the program I intend to use to get started until I learn to use my Adobe llustrator software with it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
crd
Tech Regular

Neonot,

You cant just drop in a laserpointer in a Pcut.
A standard Pcut is not designed for it.
The PCB on the head need to have an extra connector to accomodate the 4 pin flatcable that runs from the laser pointer to the PCB.
Secondly you need a carriage arm that need to have the hole in it for the laserpointer.
Is UScutter selling the part as a spare?
I would check that first.

I owned a original Pcut with laserpointer (not the LP UScutter version) which is using the same parts.

You might be able to fit an external powered laser pointer but you have to do some work to get it fixed to the carriage arm and the pointer focus with a small dot on the vinyl.

Signcut pro has the build in option for 3 point manual contour cut.
You do not need to measure the difference between pointer and knife.
You only once measure it with the SC software and that is more precise as you use the actual laser pointer.

You might have a look here too.
http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?...ree-reg-marks/

Paco
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crd
Neonot,

You cant just drop in a laserpointer in a Pcut.
A standard Pcut is not designed for it.
The PCB on the head need to have an extra connector to accomodate the 4 pin flatcable that runs from the laser pointer to the PCB.
Secondly you need a carriage arm that need to have the hole in it for the laserpointer.
Is UScutter selling the part as a spare?
I would check that first.

I owned a original Pcut with laserpointer (not the LP UScutter version) which is using the same parts.

You might be able to fit an external powered laser pointer but you have to do some work to get it fixed to the carriage arm and the pointer focus with a small dot on the vinyl.

Signcut pro has the build in option for 3 point manual contour cut.
You do not need to measure the difference between pointer and knife.
You only once measure it with the SC software and that is more precise as you use the actual laser pointer.

You might have a look here too.
http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?...ree-reg-marks/

Paco
CRD,

I am not talking about purchasing the lazer pointer from USCutter and wiring it into the plotter. I am talking about a cheap $5 lazer pointer you can pick up at any office supply store.

My PCut, model CTN630, has a dual location blade holder.
What I did was install the lazer pointer in the front hole and the blade in the rear hole. I then did as I originally stated and measured the distance so I could set the offset once the lazer was over the top of the registration mark.

I have not tried to contour cut since I switched over to the SignCut Productivity software, whatever it is called now. I did this with the original SignCut Pro 2.0 software. If there is a difference in the contour cut feature with the newer version then my method may not be as valid as it once was.

The method listed in my previous post also worked with Flexi 8.1 as well.

I will see if I can find the laser pointer and attach it for a few pics so you can see what I did. It wasnt that big of a deal and like I said I think it cost me $5 for the pointer and just about 30 minutes of my time to install, measure and input the data into the software.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

maybe someone can just sell me a graphtec cheap Or even a Copam would be nice. Ill prolly have to settle for the US Cutter Pcut or laserpoint though
Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
crd
Tech Regular

Signcut Pro(ductivity) lastest version 1.07 for windows has a ADVANCED CONTOUR CUT section.
Works with 2 or 3 regmarks.
Works best with maximum upto A3 size designs.
Larger may give not maximum tolerance for exact cutting of the contour I found out.

That is the reason I switched to a Summa D60 plotter as it can handle 1 meter length and contour cut without any problem and is full automaticly for finding the reg marks.

Paco
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

K so I am narrowing my choice down to either the US Cutter Laser Point or the Copam CP-2500. Just need to decide if the Copam is worth the extra $200.00
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default All the stuff i need!

Actually i didnt get what i need to print a decal!!
I meen what printer ,paper etc , plz help me..
The cutter is also printer??
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
crd
Tech Regular

staikosn1, one question but many answers.
First of all how many Euro's you want or can spend?
Only for personal decals or sales too?

Paco
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Purchasing First Vinyl Cutter

Ok, looking at purchasing my first vinyl cutter to make decals and paint masks for the RC cars. I would prefer to use my mac for whatever software platform I end up with.

I bought my wife a cri cut for Christmas, but I don't see that it is used by anyone for this purpose.

I'm looking for something that will be used as a low volume machine, as easy to program as possible, and will cut flames, names, numbers, etc.,..

I will invest in what ever software is the least complicated and most seamless to use.

I'm looking at the following models:

Roland Stika SV-8
USCutter MH-series Vinyl Cutter 12" without stand
Craft ROBO/ Silhouette CC330L-20 SD Digital
Sign Warehouse Vinyl Express® Cutter 31" (seems way to big for RC cars, but is in the price range)
ProCut CR630 25" Vinyl Cutter
Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutting Tool
CREATION PCUT PERFECT VINYL CUTTER

I have started reading through this thread, but have a lot more pages to go!

Any personal experience and/or feedback/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciate! I would like to keep the cost under $400 and of course the lower the better.

Thanks!!!

John
Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, after some more research I think I have it narrowed down somewhat.

I am now looking at:

USCutter MH-series Vinyl Cutter the 12" series for $219 from uscutter.com

Or

Craft ROBO/ Silhouette CC330L-20 SD Digital which I think is the same thing as or was replaced by Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutting Tool ???

I also found a used Roland Stika 12" for about $265 that is an option as well.

I want to be able to cut paint masks and decals from Adobe Illustrator.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

John
Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justicepool
Ok, looking at purchasing my first vinyl cutter to make decals and paint masks for the RC cars. I would prefer to use my mac for whatever software platform I end up with.

I bought my wife a cri cut for Christmas, but I don't see that it is used by anyone for this purpose.

I'm looking for something that will be used as a low volume machine, as easy to program as possible, and will cut flames, names, numbers, etc.,..

I will invest in what ever software is the least complicated and most seamless to use.

I'm looking at the following models:

Roland Stika SV-8
USCutter MH-series Vinyl Cutter 12" without stand
Craft ROBO/ Silhouette CC330L-20 SD Digital
Sign Warehouse Vinyl Express® Cutter 31" (seems way to big for RC cars, but is in the price range)
ProCut CR630 25" Vinyl Cutter
Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutting Tool
CREATION PCUT PERFECT VINYL CUTTER

I have started reading through this thread, but have a lot more pages to go!

Any personal experience and/or feedback/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciate! I would like to keep the cost under $400 and of course the lower the better.

Thanks!!!

John
Ok from personal experience running a small low volume business the stika 12 will be perfect for your application , the only down side to small hobby type machines is the material wastage and speed that the machine cuts at.As with the roland Stika -12 you have to load 300mm media rolls or pieces of viynl and it gives you a maximum cutting area of 250mm x 1000mm long.After using mine for 3 months I upgraded to the Roland Gx-24 as the media you can load is 600mm wide dowm to as low as 50mm so all of your off cuts are reusable. But I only upgraded due to 2 pionts Speed and wastage thats all you will have a ball with the stika -12 as you can do a wide range of cutting of material.

Cheers www.stickersbydesign.com.au I am also on Facebook just type in stickersbydesign and you can see what I am talking about.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by schrammy79
Ok from personal experience running a small low volume business the stika 12 will be perfect for your application , the only down side to small hobby type machines is the material wastage and speed that the machine cuts at.As with the roland Stika -12 you have to load 300mm media rolls or pieces of viynl and it gives you a maximum cutting area of 250mm x 1000mm long.After using mine for 3 months I upgraded to the Roland Gx-24 as the media you can load is 600mm wide dowm to as low as 50mm so all of your off cuts are reusable. But I only upgraded due to 2 pionts Speed and wastage thats all you will have a ball with the stika -12 as you can do a wide range of cutting of material.

Cheers www.stickersbydesign.com.au I am also on Facebook just type in stickersbydesign and you can see what I am talking about.
Thanks for the reply. Does the Stika have mac software? I saw a mac interface or plug in for Adobe, but I'm not sure how that works if the only driver available for the Stika itself is PC?

Will it cut decals (contour cut?)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

What features make the Roland Stika so much higher than the Graphtec Silhouette SD/Craft Robo cutter?

Are they much better made?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Found this on the Roland web site:

"The new STIKA also makes a costeffective
print/cut solution. Just print
registration marks on your graphics
with your desktop printer. Load the
printed graphics into the cutter. And
set the position of the registration
marks using the STIKA driver. Making
professional-looking graphics with
the STIKA is a snap."

I'm assuming it means that one must measure the distance or something like that and plug that into the software and then it will make a contour cut?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.