Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

sweet, gotta check it out also!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
just got sihouette from us cutters fast shipping hoping my learning curve is as fast as them ,will be needing help probably
What one did you get?

I'll mainly be using it to gut out masks and stuff for painting RC bodies.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

If you do all your artwork in Adobe Illustrator then there is no learning curve other than Illustrator. Not matter what cutter you use.

Cutters work off of vector graphics and any that are good all except .ai or .eps files as an imported graphic. Some cutter software allows direct plugins from illustrator to the cutter.

US Cutter uses an old version of sign blazer elements that has an unlocked trial version. You can import .eps files with no problem
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A TON of stuff to read through here. Wish there was a sticky like with the beginner airbrush topic where it lists the basics along with options to get a newbie started. So with that in mind...

What is the best bang for the buck plotter for a newb. I am just wanting something to die cut small stickers for auto and RC and use to cut out body masks for painting lexan bodies. I would guess the largest I would print would be about 12-15". I want something good yet affordable since I will literally use this maybe 2-3 times a month. I do also own Adobe Illustrator and PS so I would want something to work with this...or with a program that is better but wont cost me a fortune to buy the software
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fourseventeen View Post
A TON of stuff to read through here. Wish there was a sticky like with the beginner airbrush topic where it lists the basics along with options to get a newbie started. So with that in mind...

What is the best bang for the buck plotter for a newb. I am just wanting something to die cut small stickers for auto and RC and use to cut out body masks for painting lexan bodies. I would guess the largest I would print would be about 12-15". I want something good yet affordable since I will literally use this maybe 2-3 times a month. I do also own Adobe Illustrator and PS so I would want something to work with this...or with a program that is better but wont cost me a fortune to buy the software
+1,this is very confusing. there are so many choices.I went to buy one off of ebay and the gent was nice enough to tell me it would not work for my idea's.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
just got sihouette from us cutters fast shipping hoping my learning curve is as fast as them ,will be needing help probably
Silhouette SD Starter Kit: Craft Cutter, Transfer Tape, Vinyl Roll and Clip Art CD
it's 199.00
I want to just make my own paint masks. IAM A NEWB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so any help I would really welcome.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile New cutter

Hey Guys

Just received my uscutter laserpoint 24" cutter & started to play. Will be making my first cut shortly , it came with a plotter pen which is a great idea so you can get familiar with it without wasting vinyl. Will post the outcome, hopefully it's a SUCCESS!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomasb View Post
Hey Guys

Just received my uscutter laserpoint 24" cutter & started to play. Will be making my first cut shortly , it came with a plotter pen which is a great idea so you can get familiar with it without wasting vinyl. Will post the outcome, hopefully it's a SUCCESS!
Hey Tomas,

Please do post your findings. I'm in the market for one also. What one did you get, from where, and what did it cost to your door?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

im in the same boat. I would have ordered one by now if I knew what to buy. I want something just for doing small vehicle stickers and RC body masks. something affordable yet good...will only be for light use as I wont be doing this for money, just for personal stuff.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomasb View Post
Hey Guys

You will love it! I will be using mine at the Snowbirds Nationals in Orlando while i do paint demos for Parma, just like i did at the IIC race in Vegas. For the money, US Cutter has done very well for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
+1,this is very confusing. there are so many choices.I went to buy one off of ebay and the gent was nice enough to tell me it would not work for my idea's.
OK..here are the basics.

For light use, Craft robo about $250 BUT is is only 8: wide.

For Less than a Craft robo, 12" get a US Cutter MH series and has a faster servo.

For Moderate to Heavy use, get either a US Cutter Laserpoint for $400

or a Pcut for $350.

These two is basically all you will ever need for RC Painting.

For the Higher end stuff, Graftec or a Roland 24" which goes for over $1500.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Charlie B to the rescue! Thanks CB!

I dont see the MH series on ebay but did find UScutters website. Looks like for 50 bucks more then the 12" I can get a 25" with stand. Sounds like that may be the better way to go? Can I still use small width rolls in the 25"? Most of what I would cut would be anywhere from 1"-6" but it may be better for resale later if I have the 25"? or if I want to start cutting window tint graphics or something later down the road.
What else would I need to get started other then the printer and vinyl? Can I print from illustrator or PS on PC? And I see on UScutter site they offer an option of "keyspan" it says for mac but again I am running PC BUT I dont have a serial port in my computer so would I need to click that 30.00 option or is there a standard USB plug on these units? Thanks again for the help buddy.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fourseventeen View Post
Charlie B to the rescue! Thanks CB!

I dont see the MH series on ebay but did find UScutters website. Looks like for 50 bucks more then the 12" I can get a 25" with stand. Sounds like that may be the better way to go? Can I still use small width rolls in the 25"? Most of what I would cut would be anywhere from 1"-6" but it may be better for resale later if I have the 25"? or if I want to start cutting window tint graphics or something later down the road.
What else would I need to get started other then the printer and vinyl? Can I print from illustrator or PS on PC? And I see on UScutter site they offer an option of "keyspan" it says for mac but again I am running PC BUT I dont have a serial port in my computer so would I need to click that 30.00 option or is there a standard USB plug on these units? Thanks again for the help buddy.
All the big 24" cutters or bigger will cut 6" or smaller.
I use a PC and yes, they will cut directly from illustrator. I use the Signcut plug-in to cut from Illustrator, although the free software they offer(signblazer) will work as well. If you want to know more about uscutter, i highly recommend going to their forum www.uscutter.com/forum for info on thie stuff. That is where i learned the basics of their products. AGain, i have had great success with their products and have been using them since 2008.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

You rock Charlie thank you for that info....of coarse your paint work kicks major azz too! Looks like Monday I will cave in and order up a cutter and learn how to use illustrator lol. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b View Post
That is where i learned the basics of their products. AGain, i have had great success with their products and have been using them since 2008.
What I dont get no love for turning you on to them Charlie ???
I see how it is

Everything that Charlie said is spot on.

I would like to add a couple small things.

While the CraftRobo / Silhouette SD may be cheaper up front they actually cost more to run over time.
The blades, cutting strip and even the vinyl are more expensive than the 12 inch or 24 inch units.

It is like everything else when you buy in bulk you get a discount.

The smaller plotters do not have adjustable take-up reels so you are forced to use a 8.25inch to 10.5 wide vinyl This is not a standard size which makes it harder to find. A lot of places will cut down the vinyl to your desired size but usually want a cutting fee.

By the time you cut down a 50 yard roll to fit the 8 inch plotters you can spend 50% more and get a 24 inch x 50 yard roll of vinyl! That is like getting your third roll of vinyl for free on the 8 inch plotter!

I have owned the Craft Robo and presently own the P-Cut.
I have been using them since early 2008 and have no issues with mine plotter.

If you are looking to do just paint masks then consider the MH or PCut.
If you want to do printed stickers then look at the Craft Robo of the Laser Cut.
When you do printed stickers your printer will add an additional mark called a registration point that these plotters can sense which allows them to cut around the edge of the sticker.
While you could do this with the P-Cut and MH series of plotters as well it isnt near as easy.

Software is the next big thing.

If you purchase the Craft Robo the supplied software is functional at best! I highly recommend you upgrade to Adobe Illustrator and run the CutMaster pluggin to get the most out of your Robo.

The US Cutters all come with a copy of SignBlazer. While it is a trial version it does not require you to register it and can be used endlessly without any limitation. While SignBlazer is not the most powerful tool out there for design in it is leaps and bounds above the software that comes with the Robo. You would again be better off to upgrade to Illustrator and SignCut X2 Pro but it isnt absolutely needed.

For vinyl there are several options out there.
You can go with vinyl paint mask or you can go with a low tack calendar vinyl.
I personally prefer Orracle 631 series vinyl. It is thinner than paint masks which makes it easier to work into and around corners in the body.
While you might need to use heat to get paint mask to lay flat on curved parts of a body the 631 very rarely needs to be heated to do the same area of a body. The nice thing about the 631 is it is about half the price of paint mask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service