Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bfutura15
Before I ask US Cutters I figure I will ask here.

Will this communicate with AI?
Will this communicate with inkscape?
Will this work on smaller peices of vinyl as well? Say if I had about 8-10" left from a roll. I would assume so.

Thanks. I just want to get all my facts before I get something.
OK, I need edumacated here. Whats AI and inkscape?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
OOC
Tech Rookie

I had some technical difficulties with replying. Now that the administrator has cleared that up for me I can post a reply.

Big-kid, the answer to your question about the printable vinyl is that it is a white material. You cannot use just any material unless you have a solvent based inkjet printer.

I sell a Sticker Media Kit which includes 10 (8 1/2" x 12") sheet of the printable vinyl and includes 10 sheets of clear laminate as well. This material allows you to print using any water based inkjet printer. The laminate is used to seal and protect the printed surface.

You can create any custom fuel proof stickers you want. Check out the OOC store under plotters for the Sticker Media Kits.

www.oocrcracing.com

John
OOC
Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by K Feath
OK, I need edumacated here. Whats AI and inkscape?
AI-Adobe Illustrator
Inskcape-Another cutting program
Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Before I ask US Cutters I figure I will ask here.

Will this communicate with AI?
Will this communicate with inkscape?
Will this work on smaller peices of vinyl as well? Say if I had about 8-10" left from a roll. I would assume so.

Thanks. I just want to get all my facts before I get something.
The USCutters do not talk directly with AI or Inkscape.

You can cut pieces of vinyl as small as 2 inch x 2 inch.

The USCutters use adjustable pinch rollers so that allows you to place any size vinyl in the machine that will fit between the rollers.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
jeffatvinyltrix

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by charlie_b
I guess John did not decide to post. In anyrate, if you are looking for an affordable cutter, and i mean BANG FOR THE BUCK affordable, i would get a US Cutter plotter. I mean, 8 years ago i bought my Roland Stika for about $900 and limited to only 15" x 39"of cutting, and very slow. For about $350 you can get a BIG 24" plotter that is about 7-10 times faster, 24"x ?(160" or more)of vinyl to work with and is compatibkle with Flexi, signlab, etc.

Not to mention, the Stika is also made in China, therefore, for about a 3rd of the price, with a better machine, i would probably go with the Uscutter Plotter.

i purchased this cutter when it first came out and have not had any troubles with it yet! it does however connect with a parrell cable and not USB so you need to make sure you have this connection on your PC. i also use flexi 8.0 with it and its flawless!! us cutter has been more than friendly with any (stupid) question i have had!!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am loving my LP so far. I do need to get some new software though. The sign blazer just isnt cutting it for me. I have problems with it freezing every so ofton.

Any suggestions on the software?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

get Ai and spend $30 for Signcut x2. It is a 3 eyar subscription, but at least you can use it for 3 years.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know what brand of vinyl OOC sell? I am looking for a larger qty than what they have on the site.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to print to the US Cutter using cad programs such as AutoCAD?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chadlow21
Yes, I am using windows, and I shouldnt have 2 graphics on top of each other, all I do is open the artwork in Illustrator and trace and expand, then send to the cutter.
In AI if the artwork has an outline the trace will go over the body and then the outline. Thus if you do not look closely at the trace you will have 2 lines. AI can throw tricks at you when going to a plot situation. Most hardcore sign people will always take the AI file and wash it through Flexi or something like that. Especially if they are printing because the gradients esp. greys will band terribly and colorwise won't look right.

Also if you didnt create the AI file always open it and look at the layers. A lot of people will layer things to get a desired effect. Fine for printing on paper but murderous when plotting to vinyl. Its just like doing text, you must convert AI text to curves when plotting otherwise you will create even more problems for yourself.

It takes more time to double check you artwork....but it will save you $$$ in ruined material.

Last edited by rj14; 10-09-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by timmay70
Has anyone tried to print to the US Cutter using cad programs such as AutoCAD?

What version of AutoCAD? Some of the later versions Autodesk has changed the way the hatch fills work. They are using coding from the Maya animation software that is weird and has some bugs that wont allow it to work correctly. Mostly 2008, which I believe has been mostly resolved w/ 09. 09 was released basically to fix the nightmare w/08. Also with the hatch fills in AutoCAD can be funny looking when printed on a large format. You always have to make sure that your plot to lines merge other wise the hatch will dominate the boundary lines. In 08 you have to make sure your hatch is sent to the bottom. (another bug because lines merge will not always work) You may want to export the CAD file out as another file type. If you have AI you can inport AutoCAD files directly, but they must be saved as a 2000 ver. .dwg.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know what brand of vinyl OOC sell? I am looking for a larger qty than what they have on the site.
Found it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rj14
What version of AutoCAD?
Ok, I have a legal license of 02. I never upgraded in time to keep my license current. At work we are using 06, and their licenses are current... That's another story. I have used AutoCAD forever, even when we used to drive pen plotters with it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to drive this plotter with AutoCAD. ANY pointers would be much appreciated.

I do not have a copy of AI (wish I did).
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

it is my understanding that you can only use signbalzer or sign cut to actually cut with the US cutters. I know that you can not cut from Inkscape or AI. You have to save as an .EPS file
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by timmay70
Ok, I have a legal license of 02. I never upgraded in time to keep my license current. At work we are using 06, and their licenses are current... That's another story. I have used AutoCAD forever, even when we used to drive pen plotters with it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to drive this plotter with AutoCAD. ANY pointers would be much appreciated.

I do not have a copy of AI (wish I did).
it is my understanding that you can only use signbalzer or sign cut to actually cut with the US cutters. I know that you can not cut from Inkscape or AI. You have to save as an .EPS file
I only ran r.14 a couple of times....but have been using regularly every vers in one form or another since 2000. I have 02 and 04 on my machine at home. Now one way around this all, and based on the above info, you could dump your ACAD into powerpoint and save the image as an eps from there. Chances are good that the items will get skewed in pp. This can become tedious to fix and not worth the time depending on complexity. Having run sign stuff since 1st release Casmate, and using Corel and AI since then I can tell you if the US Cutters like EPS files, it wont like any version AI file from the CS or later. When Adobe started the Creative Suite they did something wierd in thier programming. Thier EPS file exports don't behave like a standard EPS file. (so much for file standardization) I have learned this the hard way.

I will try playing w/ some things and get back to you......

I think this is why I try to steer people toward Rolands...LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.