Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

So what's the magic secret to gaining access to CFXpaintworks?

Tried to join several times over the past couple of weeks and no response to PM to charlie_b
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daddy'o
So what's the magic secret to gaining access to CFXpaintworks?

Tried to join several times over the past couple of weeks and no response to PM to charlie_b
Charlie is outta the country right now.
Give him a week and he should be back.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Initial Setup: USCutter Laserpoint 24"

Originally Posted by NeoNot
Charlie is outta the country right now.
Give him a week and he should be back.
Thanks NeonotÖ

In the meantime, the USCutter Laserpoint 24Ē arrived. Iíve spent the weekend scouring through USCutterís forums as I shake the plotter down, with some success, but Iíve finally hit a wall.

Had to remove the cover, tighten belts and adjusted X-Y coordinates to get a perfect square when using the pen plotter. Everything is dead-on perfect to this point.

Problem comes when cutting. Canít seem to get a perfect square (even using the built in test rectangle). Almost as if the blade lazily rolls into the corner before turning.

- Tried setting blade from credit-card height to less than half credit-card height,
- Tried setting pressure from 80 to 140 in 10 increment steps,
- Tried setting speed from 20 to 80 in 10 increment steps,
- Changed blades (even tried lubricating blades)

but nothing seems to work. Tried a sample 1Ē square in both SignBlazer and SigncutX2, moving offset from 0 out to 1MM in .05 MM increments (where it would actually loop out before turning) and could nail three good 90 degree turns at .55MM, but the cut either wonít close or ends with the same lazy roll into the corner.

Reading through USCutterís forums, this isnít a new issue, but I havenít found a response there yet that resolves the problem.

Anyone else come across this problem or have a suggestion to resolve?

Not sure itís a software issue (although software may provide the solution), but here is what I have got:

PC running Windows XP Home edition,
USCutter Laserpoint 24 connected through a DB9 serial cable (9600 baud rate/hardware control, etc per USCutterís recommendation),
SignBlazer Elements and SigncutX2 for cutting, and
A shrinking supply of Avery A1828 masking.

Illustrations will ultimately be done in CS3 on a Mac, down sampled to Illy 8 before being imported into SignBlazer/Signcut (which has worked well, but if I canít cut a 1Ē square, this is never going to work!)

Thanks,

An increasingly frustrated Daddy-o
Old 08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)
Default Alterinatives to AI

OK so I've been thinking agout getting a cutter, the prices for the USCutter brands are resonable but than I checked on the price of Adobe Illustrator, ouch! Someone on the USCutter site recomended a program called inkscape, anyone have any experience with this progam? Or another that is'nt as expensive as AI, I'm not an illustrator or pro painter and cannot see ever covering the cost of AI.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Daddy'o
Thanks NeonotÖ

In the meantime, the USCutter Laserpoint 24Ē arrived. Iíve spent the weekend scouring through USCutterís forums as I shake the plotter down, with some success, but Iíve finally hit a wall.

Had to remove the cover, tighten belts and adjusted X-Y coordinates to get a perfect square when using the pen plotter. Everything is dead-on perfect to this point.

Problem comes when cutting. Canít seem to get a perfect square (even using the built in test rectangle). Almost as if the blade lazily rolls into the corner before turning.

- Tried setting blade from credit-card height to less than half credit-card height,
- Tried setting pressure from 80 to 140 in 10 increment steps,
- Tried setting speed from 20 to 80 in 10 increment steps,
- Changed blades (even tried lubricating blades)

but nothing seems to work. Tried a sample 1Ē square in both SignBlazer and SigncutX2, moving offset from 0 out to 1MM in .05 MM increments (where it would actually loop out before turning) and could nail three good 90 degree turns at .55MM, but the cut either wonít close or ends with the same lazy roll into the corner.

Reading through USCutterís forums, this isnít a new issue, but I havenít found a response there yet that resolves the problem.

Anyone else come across this problem or have a suggestion to resolve?

Not sure itís a software issue (although software may provide the solution), but here is what I have got:

PC running Windows XP Home edition,
USCutter Laserpoint 24 connected through a DB9 serial cable (9600 baud rate/hardware control, etc per USCutterís recommendation),
SignBlazer Elements and SigncutX2 for cutting, and
A shrinking supply of Avery A1828 masking.

Illustrations will ultimately be done in CS3 on a Mac, down sampled to Illy 8 before being imported into SignBlazer/Signcut (which has worked well, but if I canít cut a 1Ē square, this is never going to work!)

Thanks,

An increasingly frustrated Daddy-o
I highly recommend you contact US Cutters directly and get some phone support. I had a similar issue with my P-Cut. It wouldnt close a circle, squares were fine but circles were a no go. After roughly 15 to 20 minutes on the phone with their tech people I was going good. There were a few settings in SignCut I had to change, calibrate if you will. Once those changes were made I never had any further problems with AI and SignCut.

I also changed to AI and Flexi a few months later. I should add that I never had these issues with Flexi. Other than setting the blade offset, which you have to do with any software, I havent made a single change in Flexi and it has been working great for close to a year now.

Originally Posted by chris moore
OK so I've been thinking agout getting a cutter, the prices for the USCutter brands are resonable but than I checked on the price of Adobe Illustrator, ouch! Someone on the USCutter site recomended a program called inkscape, anyone have any experience with this progam? Or another that is'nt as expensive as AI, I'm not an illustrator or pro painter and cannot see ever covering the cost of AI.
Inkscape will work just fine as a design suite, in place of AI. I would also recommend you check signblazer out as well. This program usually comes with the USCutters for free and is completely free, while used in the trial mode.

If you step back a page or two I linked the download site for SignBlazer so those that wanted to could get a copy of it to play around with and see if it would fit their needs.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Neo, I did just that, the free inkscape and trial signblazer I'll be up and cutting for very little $'s .
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Submitted a trouble ticket with USCutter.

Problem has been narrowed to a bad blade holder. I've ordered one and have it on the way.

Bit odd that you have to buy a new piece before sending the old one back for credit under warranty (paying shipping both ways), but then again when you consider the original price of the cutter...

Pen plotter is working fine though, so off to do some artwork!

Appreciate all of the help NeoNot and by the way, I'm up on CFX Paintworks now.

Daddy-o
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Neo, I remember that you recomended Orcal 631 for the mask, but what are you using for the transfer material?

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it possible to hand cut vinyl sheets for masking? If so, where is the best place to get it and what should I look for, brands ect?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris moore
Neo, I remember that you recomended Orcal 631 for the mask, but what are you using for the transfer material?

Thanks
Chris
I just use plain old 3M macking tape. The white/cream colored stuff. It is about 3 inches wide and works just fine. Sometimes I have to double to tape up to cover the entire design but its no biggy.

Originally Posted by grouch
Is it possible to hand cut vinyl sheets for masking? If so, where is the best place to get it and what should I look for, brands ect?
You can hand cut vinyl. I have used vinyl on a body with a hand cut design, when I was out of LMF.
I am not sure where to tell you to go to get vinyl sheets.
If I was going to do it I would probably just buy a roll of vinyl 12 inches wide by 10 yards or so and go from there.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well after reading this entire thread a few times, I took the plunge and ordered a cutter. I went with the US Cutter MH 24" cutter, bought several rolls of vinyl, some Oracal 631 for making masks and a roll of transfer tape as well as some supplies (squeegies, etc). I have Adobe Illustrator already, I just need to learn how to use it and get it from there to the cutter. I can't wait to get my cutter and start making masks and custom decals.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default New cutter

Keep us posted. We need more people doing lettering for the rc guys.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkey-1
Well after reading this entire thread a few times, I took the plunge and ordered a cutter. I went with the US Cutter MH 24" cutter, bought several rolls of vinyl, some Oracal 631 for making masks and a roll of transfer tape as well as some supplies (squeegies, etc). I have Adobe Illustrator already, I just need to learn how to use it and get it from there to the cutter. I can't wait to get my cutter and start making masks and custom decals.
hey Monkey, look to see if your cutter software offers a plug-in for the Adobe software. Also, if it doesn't, take a look at signpro.com. I have the lite version, and it works great with both my cutters. Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG JIM WOODMAN
Keep us posted. We need more people doing lettering for the rc guys.
Will do man. I am hyped about getting my cutter in and start playing with it. I have a few small paying jobs already lined up, so thats a good thing. A good friend of mine has been cutting vinyl for years and said that he would help with any questions I have.

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
hey Monkey, look to see if your cutter software offers a plug-in for the Adobe software. Also, if it doesn't, take a look at signpro.com. I have the lite version, and it works great with both my cutters. Hope this helps.

Ken
Thanks, I will look at that. The cutter is coming with SignBlazer and SignCut Productivity Pro. Is that the same thing you are referring to?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I made a typo. It's called signgo.com. Still a good program, and somewhat affordable as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.