Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What about coredraw? it's alot cheaper. Will it do the same suff that adobe does?

Thanks Rob
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robman
What about coredraw? it's alot cheaper. Will it do the same suff that adobe does?

Thanks Rob
Corel is fine. It's basically preference. I prefer Adobe because it is the standard and that is what i was taught in college. I know nothing about Corel.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 PM
OOC
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcjunky10
Guys, I just upgraded my computer to Windows Vista, 64bit, and have been unable to get my Craftrobo drivers to install. I went to their website and downloaded the drivers but for some reason I can not get them to load properly.

Can someone pm me with their take what the problem might be? Thanks guys!
If you go to craftrobostore.com, you can download the latest drivers for Vista 64. My laptop runs 64. I've already installed the drivers and my plotter is working fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone on here do custom 1/8 buggy paint jobs with somewhere I can look at the different paint scheme examples.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by t4mania
Anyone on here do custom 1/8 buggy paint jobs with somewhere I can look at the different paint scheme examples.
try the Painters chat

Painter's Chat
Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4mania
But are you looking for a vinyl guy, or a painter?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Painter
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x947
I would love to see some pictures of bodies that were painted using masks, decals, etc that were cut on these non-professional level cutters.

Any of you guys (non-pros) feel brave enough to share your work ? I, like many others, don't have any experience with a cutter, and would like to get some feel of what can be accomplished with an entry level machine.

I just read this thread from the beginning and must give mad props to Charlie B and others for being willing to share their knowledge and being patient enough to field the "newbie" questions over and over. Charlie, the youtube vids are incredible, too. There aren't many people in the world who have your level of skill and are willing to share it with anybody who has an interest in your art.

Pics ?

Mike
All of these bodies used vinyl cut from my P-Cut 24 inch plotter from US Cutters.

All the lettering was done on the P-Cut for this body. Graphics hand cut.

Flames done with the P-Cut

Mini Late Model all graphics masked with vinyl from the P-Cut

Before paint w/ vinyl mask

After painting

Same scheme different body.

These are just a few of the bodies I have done with masks cut from my 24inch P-Cut. Once you learn to draw on the computer and apply the vinyl masks to the body it is a major time savings.

A prime example is the last two bodies. These were both painted for a local customer. The truck was actually painted first. After completing it the customer decided to do a mini late model body as well. Had I drawn these designs by hand it would have been much more time consuming to resize the graphics and lay them down on the Late model body. Since they were made on the computer it took me maybe 2 minutes to measure the late model body and resize the graphics on the computer and then cut them!

Once you get a nice catalog of graphics built up it is easy to mix and match your designs to come up with new schemes. Should you not find something you like you can always draw something new. Nice thing about using the computer you can hit CRTL + Z to back up if a mistake is made. You cant quite say that when drawing by hand!!! Some call it cheating but I like to think of it as being a more logical way of designing my schemes. If I dont like something I can always start new and I dont have to cut down a forest or run the worlds ink supply low by using my sharpies!

Now even with all that said this doesnt mean I dont do any hand cutting anymore. I still find some designs are easier to do by hand than with the plotter. It seems the more detailed a design becomes the harder it is to make it with vinyl and apply it to the body. On these occassions I prefer the liquid mask and hand cutting.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

NeoNot -

Thanks very much for sharing your work with us. I must say that I'm very impressed. I also thank you for your input and ideas about the plotter and masking.

Even though the plotter is a time saver in some instances, it certainly doesn't sound like it is a shortcut to a lot of practice with masking and painting.

I guess I'd better spend some time with an exacto, some masking tape and two liter bottles, my airbrush and paint, and my adobe illustrator cs2 before I worry about a vinyl cutter. Phew ! I should have started on this 20 years ago . . .
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=x947;5760798]
Even though the plotter is a time saver in some instances, it certainly doesn't sound like it is a shortcut to a lot of practice with masking and painting.
QUOTE]

You are correct. There are a lot of people that think if you use vinyl that it is easier. Vinyl has just as much design time if not more. Like Neo stated, once you have them done it is just a matter of measurments. This is great for repeat customers that use the same paint schemes. I usually use both LM and vinyl on every body. I have started taking the stok masks form the body and drawing them in the computer for my cutter. This way my pins are spot on. I am also doing this for the headlights and grilles. If you get another body like the original, just cut have to hit the cut button for the windows.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Bfutura15;5761385]
Originally Posted by x947
QUOTE]

You are correct. There are a lot of people that think if you use vinyl that it is easier. Vinyl has just as much design time if not more. Like Neo stated, once you have them done it is just a matter of measurments. This is great for repeat customers that use the same paint schemes. I usually use both LM and vinyl on every body. I have started taking the stok masks form the body and drawing them in the computer for my cutter. This way my pins are spot on. I am also doing this for the headlights and grilles. If you get another body like the original, just cut have to hit the cut button for the windows.
+1 on the window masks!!!
I have been doing that for a while now. If not for a recent HD failure I would have a ton of window masks I could share with everyone from micro-1/8th scale truggy's.

I however do it a little different than you described. I actually take the stock masks, scan them into Adobe PhotoShop. I save the file as a JPG then open that file in Illustrator and use the pen tool to redraw the masks. This allows me to fine tune the design without having to worry about the angles being right or any of my measurements.

Back to the plotter now.
There is no short cut to masking. It doesnt matter if its liquid mask, tape, or vinyl. There is still design time in all of the masking work no matter if it is drawing the design directly on the body or on a computer. The nice thing about doing it on the computer is making mirror images takes about four clicks of the mouse to convert the graphic from left to right!

The vinyl however is much harder to lay on a body than the liquid mask. Image you were using masking tape with your design already cut out and you had to stick it to the body without any airbubbles in the tape and you had to seal the edges at every curve in the body!!! This is exactly what you have to do with the vinyl. Vinyl is quicker when you have your design already and you have a body with no curves in it. But even then someone with a body that has the liquid mask that is dried and good with a knife could probably turn out the same design in roughly the same time it takes to get the vinyl layed down just right!!!

For those that think vinyl is just a easy lick it and stick it deal they are wrong! It may be a little less time consuming than liquid mask, but it isnt that much different.

What I have found myself doing as of late is actually taking the vinyl in its uncut form, laying it in the body then hand cutting the design! This is almost the best of both worlds as there is no curing time like there is for the liquid mask and I can still do anything I want as far as the design goes!

Its all in what you get acustom to. I cant draw a stick figure with a pencil but I can make my designs on the computer. Once that is done I can either print them out or cut them out. It just depends on the design and the body it is going on.

So dont get a cutter just because you think it will make you a better painter because you can cut precise masks. It still take a lot of time and effort to get that masked layed down on the body in a manor that doesnt allow paint bleeds and looks right.

I find I use my plotter for lettering, numbers and simple designs on flat or square bodies. I do use it for other bodies as well but the designs arent complicated as they could be when hand cut since I dont want to fight getting the vinyl on the body.

So for being long winded
Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How do you create a pinstripe around flames and numbers using inkscape?

thanks Rob
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

lol, how do you keep inkscape running? Everytime I have downloaded it, it works once, then crashes or says it needs a file to be loaded. Anyway, Try looking for an outline feature from one of the menu's on top.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=NeoNot;5764204]
Originally Posted by Bfutura15

I actually take the stock masks, scan them into Adobe PhotoShop. I save the file as a JPG then open that file in Illustrator and use the pen tool to redraw the masks. This allows me to fine tune the design without having to worry about the angles being right or any of my measurements.
Neo...this is why you are awesome! You are an excellent Student!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Neo: What I actually do on the windows is trace them on tracing paper and scan that into inkscape and use the pen tool to trace. I have tried the way you described but when I scan it it comes out washed out. Are you backing it with a darker sheet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.