Like Tree5Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I scanned some other forums (thanks google) and found a program that works well and has a lot of drivers to different cutters. www.signgo.com I downloaded it and it has asked me to register it but hasn't asked for money yet. But, if it does I might end up getting the lite version. I have been using it all weekend and I am getting the hang of it. Pretty good program.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by No Limit MD View Post
I scanned some other forums (thanks google) and found a program that works well and has a lot of drivers to different cutters. www.signgo.com I downloaded it and it has asked me to register it but hasn't asked for money yet. But, if it does I might end up getting the lite version. I have been using it all weekend and I am getting the hang of it. Pretty good program.
Thanx for sharing...it is actually a pretty decent program. Pretty easy to use as well.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

i was wondering if anyone had the red bull logo in eps format to share i tried few times to make it it wont come out right i just want the bulls with the sun and outline around the bulls thanks anyhelp at all woudl b great
Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slayer3103 View Post
i was wondering if anyone had the red bull logo in eps format to share i tried few times to make it it wont come out right i just want the bulls with the sun and outline around the bulls thanks anyhelp at all woudl b great
Here is a link to a logo. You should be able to trace from it. I think I have it in eps at home. I will look tonight and see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_Bull.svg.png
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

After a couple of frustrating jours of trying to trace flames in AI, I'm here to ask anyone if the have any better ideas on how to go about this. I'm working on a flame scheme for the side of my T4, but everytime I try to trace it, it comes out looking like a 1rst grader did it. Any ideas on this? I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
After a couple of frustrating jours of trying to trace flames in AI, I'm here to ask anyone if the have any better ideas on how to go about this. I'm working on a flame scheme for the side of my T4, but everytime I try to trace it, it comes out looking like a 1rst grader did it. Any ideas on this? I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.
It's going to take more than a couple of hours to learn the pentool. It was not meant to be easy. I spent 3 semesters and im still learning Illustrator...and the pentool was used everyday, at least 2 hours a day.

For a 30 minute tutorial, look up this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzpT8POAME

If you actually learn and understand how the pentool works, it will be easier to create/trace your flames. This isn't something you learn in 2 hours, it is something that you will continuously practice at to get better. Yes, i use it everyday...sometimes over 10 hours straight.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I'll take a look at that. Thanks Charlie.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Complete vinyl cutter noob here. Hopefully I can describe my question in an understandable way, so here goes:

When I get a plotter I intend to use it for creating paint masks but the concept I can't seem to understand is how to create a complete vinyl mask in what ever design software I decide to use (probably AI) that is scaled and positioned properly for the curvature of the body being painted. In other words, how does one draw a design on a 2D surface (being the design software), cut it out with the plotter, and than apply it to the 3D surface (being the body) ensuring that the mask lines up correctly to the shape and curves of the body?

Also, is this done using one sheet of vinyl mask with all the design elements or a series of masks with individual elements?

Hopefully my question makes sense. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the process (pun sort of intended).

Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The only method I have ever thought would work(I cut by hand so paintjobs don't look like silk screens) is if you use a low tack material and lay it in the body you will make masks for. Draw and cut your design, peel it out in one piece and apply it to a high contrast color(White on blue, etc). Then scan it into AI or similar and using AI and your live trace tool(Or similar) you should have a jump start on the compenation you need for curves, etc. from your template.

Hope this makes sense, I am a rookie myself.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kragsdale View Post
Complete vinyl cutter noob here. Hopefully I can describe my question in an understandable way, so here goes:

When I get a plotter I intend to use it for creating paint masks but the concept I can't seem to understand is how to create a complete vinyl mask in what ever design software I decide to use (probably AI) that is scaled and positioned properly for the curvature of the body being painted. In other words, how does one draw a design on a 2D surface (being the design software), cut it out with the plotter, and than apply it to the 3D surface (being the body) ensuring that the mask lines up correctly to the shape and curves of the body?

Also, is this done using one sheet of vinyl mask with all the design elements or a series of masks with individual elements?

Hopefully my question makes sense. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the process (pun sort of intended).

Thanks guys.
Probably the best way and cheapest is just designing your graphic then PRINTING them out with your printer. Adjust as necessary from then. you can usually tell after a couple of times how something would fit. I use multiple masks all the time...it makes it easier to apply/paint. Good luck to you..hope you post your work soon!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your time guys. Both of your suggested approaches cleared up a lot of confusion I had.

I've been doing bodies for about 6 years on and off using liquid mask entirely but I'm getting tired of spending so much time tediously cutting good lines out of the stuff and then possibly making a mistake with it that could ruin the whole paint job. Just seems like I could cut masking times in half with the aid of Illustrator and a nice plotter to get a clean layout. A little trial and error won't hurt while figuring things out.

Thanks again guys. And Hopefully I can get some current bodies up here soon.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

I am having a problem that seemed simple at first, until about 5 hours later with no results....

I redraw a logo in ai, with my pen tool. Then I save it as a bmp file and when I try and import it into DR STika it doesn't see it. So, I go back into edit it and retry and apparently, neither does ai now. It is no longer a vector file?
Apparently from saving it as a bmp?

Help if you can, I need to get this project completed for a patient customer and i'm a rookie in this software! (Obviously)

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim View Post
I am having a problem that seemed simple at first, until about 5 hours later with no results....

I redraw a logo in ai, with my pen tool. Then I save it as a bmp file and when I try and import it into DR STika it doesn't see it. So, I go back into edit it and retry and apparently, neither does ai now. It is no longer a vector file?
Apparently from saving it as a bmp?

Help if you can, I need to get this project completed for a patient customer and i'm a rookie in this software! (Obviously)

...Jim
W.E.D.
Jim, if you have Cut studio(should have come with stika) you should be able cut DIRECTLY from AI. Saving as a BMP will not allow the file to cut because it is not a vector.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Charlie, that is what I thought, but maybe since this is such and old version of STika the software is outdated? I had to update it to work in XP, but it was impossible to get it working in Vista, so I repaired my old PC just for Stika....lol.

I am using a chip to transfer the files to my other PC and I tried it as ai at first, but it says it isn't a "recognized file format".

Arrrggggg, sucks being dumb when it comes to this stuff and having so much work to do I can't properly learn it. haha

Any ideas from here? Maybe update Stika to the latest again and retry? Of course it looks like I will have to retrace the logo for a 4th time with my pen tool. OR maybe I can edit it back to before it was saved as a bitmap, that would be easy......>sigh<.

Thanks for your time,
Jim
W.E.D.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim View Post
Charlie, that is what I thought, but maybe since this is such and old version of STika the software is outdated? I had to update it to work in XP, but it was impossible to get it working in Vista, so I repaired my old PC just for Stika....lol.

I am using a chip to transfer the files to my other PC and I tried it as ai at first, but it says it isn't a "recognized file format".

Arrrggggg, sucks being dumb when it comes to this stuff and having so much work to do I can't properly learn it. haha

Any ideas from here? Maybe update Stika to the latest again and retry? Of course it looks like I will have to retrace the logo for a 4th time with my pen tool. OR maybe I can edit it back to before it was saved as a bitmap, that would be easy......>sigh<.

Thanks for your time,
Jim
W.E.D.
I do not know about your cutting software, but mine has to be in a .esp form for it to cut. Maybe try that. I design it throught inkscape and save as a .esp file. Import it into the cutting program and size it the way I need it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service