Like Tree10Likes

Vinyl Cutters!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I'm having an issue with AI CS4. When I finish and try to save the project I'm working on, it tells me the name is too long, even if its just one character. Any idea's on this one, or is it a software issue?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm looking into a US Cutter and I'm curious if there software to draw shapes and logos is decent? And user friendly.........what are your thoughts

I would be using this for my business and my cars. Company logos and lettering
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
No need for books, there are a lot of tutorials online. The tutorial you will need is for the PENTOOL. Look it up. Once you master that, you will never use the autotrace feature again.
Thanks for the info. I watched some of the tutorials on youtube. They helped. Now I am having another problem. When I export a file as a DXF file i get a window which asks what version of autocad i want to save it as. I have tried all versions and the robo software says invalid data. What am i doing wrong?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Default Software issues

Ok guys, I have a real doosey for ya. I have a Procut MH 1351 SE cutter that uses artcut software. I hooked up the cutter and ran some tests with stuff I created in that software. I also have AI CS3. I can't seem to export from AI and import to artcut. It won't even recognize the drawing. Any suggestions on this? Is it even possable to cut from AI?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If a guy were wanting to start out, what would the minimum cost be for a 12" cutter, small amount of supplies and software? The initial goal is just for personal use making body masks and some decals, but one never knows what opportunities will come up. I see that the US cutter is popular at around $195 but not sure how much the supplies and software would add. I have Corel Draw but assume that it won't do me much good.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Ok guys, I have a real doosey for ya. I have a Procut MH 1351 SE cutter that uses artcut software. I hooked up the cutter and ran some tests with stuff I created in that software. I also have AI CS3. I can't seem to export from AI and import to artcut. It won't even recognize the drawing. Any suggestions on this? Is it even possable to cut from AI?
I dont know much about Artcut, I have been using Flexi and recently started playing around with SignBlazer. On both of these sign programs you have to save your AI file as either an EPS or AI file. EPS files seem to be the most common format so I would recommend you save the file in a EPS format. Next when you save the file you should get an option for AI version. Again most programs I have worked with like AI verion 9 or lower.

SteveL

There is no reason you cant use Corel Draw. You simply need a plugin to allow it to send the file out to your plotter. SignCut X2, there is now a newer version but I cant remember the name of it, has a pluggin for both AI and Corel Draw which allows you send files to a cut manager that will talk to your plotter.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NeoNot
I dont know much about Artcut, I have been using Flexi and recently started playing around with SignBlazer. On both of these sign programs you have to save your AI file as either an EPS or AI file. EPS files seem to be the most common format so I would recommend you save the file in a EPS format. Next when you save the file you should get an option for AI version. Again most programs I have worked with like AI verion 9 or lower.

SteveL

There is no reason you cant use Corel Draw. You simply need a plugin to allow it to send the file out to your plotter. SignCut X2, there is now a newer version but I cant remember the name of it, has a pluggin for both AI and Corel Draw which allows you send files to a cut manager that will talk to your plotter.

thanks Neo, I'll look into that.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Ok gurus of the graphics. i just bought a deal in a used roland pnc 900. It will be here later in the week and I have bought the centronics to usb cable so I can use it on my laptop. I am getting a little confused reading all this and im trying to figure out what i will need to cut some numbers and decals for my cars and make paintmask. I have paintshop pro that i use to paint sim racecars but im reading about corel and ai and flexi and this and that.

Its coming with the roland software but somewhere back on this thread i read that it was useless for designing. So im assuming i will need one program to design and then import it to another program to cut? I need to talk to one of you gurus on the phone,to heck with all this typing. Someone pm me there number so I can get a clue.

Charlie i tried calling you but it just goes straight to voicemail.

Also is the machine i bought decent?

thanks Jason
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BUDRACER1
Ok gurus of the graphics. i just bought a deal in a used roland pnc 900. It will be here later in the week and I have bought the centronics to usb cable so I can use it on my laptop. I am getting a little confused reading all this and im trying to figure out what i will need to cut some numbers and decals for my cars and make paintmask. I have paintshop pro that i use to paint sim racecars but im reading about corel and ai and flexi and this and that.

Its coming with the roland software but somewhere back on this thread i read that it was useless for designing. So im assuming i will need one program to design and then import it to another program to cut? I need to talk to one of you gurus on the phone,to heck with all this typing. Someone pm me there number so I can get a clue.

Charlie i tried calling you but it just goes straight to voicemail.
Also is the machine i bought decent?

thanks Jason
Jason, Mailbox keeps filling up as i check messages and delete...mostly people asking pricing on designs, etc. Anyway,what it comes down to is this. Once you fina a vector program you are comfortable with(like AI, Corel, Flexi, Inkscape) then stick to that and learn how to use them. Paintshop Pro, i belive is a pixel based program, so, although you can save it as a JPG and will open in a vector program, it wont "cut" the image unless you redraw it as a vector file.

I know it is all confusing right now, but i recommend not designing your own graphics for now and just get familiar with working with a vector program. Once you are familiar with teh tools, you can start tweaking the graphics you have that are already vector based. Once of the sites give away a FREE vector graphic a day. I would take those and start tweaking those as you see fit. Then, once you are very familiar with the program, you can venture into designing your own stuff. There are a bunch of free tutorials online as well for you to check out. In any rate, once you have learned how to sue it...everything is a breeze.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Hey Charlie B,

I have been using software called Artcut to draw and cut/plot from. My question is with other software, like corel, can you cut/plot straight from that as well, or would I have to export then import the image? The Artcut software is kind of limited and the instruction book isn't the greatest. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ken
Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Hey Charlie B,

I have been using software called Artcut to draw and cut/plot from. My question is with other software, like corel, can you cut/plot straight from that as well, or would I have to export then import the image? The Artcut software is kind of limited and the instruction book isn't the greatest. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ken
Im not familiar with artcut, but the more popular programs like Corel and AI have their own plugins to cut directly to certain plotters.

Roland has cut studio where you design in AI, then click on CUT/Plot and brings you to a window to cut your file.

I basically use AI to design my masks, then i use X2 to cut directly from AI to my US Cutter LP. I think, though, the BEST way to design a mask is to HAND DRAW them, then scan it and open in a Vector program like AI or Corel. Once it is open in that vector program, you can easily redraw or trace the drawing with the PENTOOL. Unless your hand drawing is SUPER clean, then just LIVETRACE it if you are using AI.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have read this thread 3 times but it doesn't help me with my issue.

I have a Roland Stika SX-8 and the Dr. Stika Program. From this thread I discovered Inkscape and downloaded and installed it. I opened a graphic of Donald Duck, found out how to auto-trace the picture so it was just an outline and I saved it as a .bmp but Dr. Stika will not open it. Is says that it is an "unknown file format"

Is there a way to convert it to a file that the Dr. Stika program will recognize or is there another cutting program that will work with the SX-8 that is cheap or free?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by No Limit MD
I have read this thread 3 times but it doesn't help me with my issue.

I have a Roland Stika SX-8 and the Dr. Stika Program. From this thread I discovered Inkscape and downloaded and installed it. I opened a graphic of Donald Duck, found out how to auto-trace the picture so it was just an outline and I saved it as a .bmp but Dr. Stika will not open it. Is says that it is an "unknown file format"

Is there a way to convert it to a file that the Dr. Stika program will recognize or is there another cutting program that will work with the SX-8 that is cheap or free?
Try saving it as an EPS.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I saved it as a .eps file but dr. stika would act like it is opening it but it wouldn't ever come up in the dr. stika program.

Any other ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.