Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid mask?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default Liquid mask?

Has or does anyone use a liquid mask? How easy is it to work with?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

LM is one of the most popular methods in use today for R/C panting. It's not hard to use but takes a little practice to get the feel of cutting, you want to have enough pressure to cut just the mask and not into the lexan.

The most difficult and time consuming part is putting it on the body, depending on wich brand it takes 4-7 coats of lm. Most apply it with a 1" brush and some use a cheap automotive detail gun to shoot it on. I say difficult because if you use a brush you want the coats as even as possible, the more consistantly even the coats are the easier it is to cut.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

4 to 7 coats. holy krap!

Jokes aside, thanks for the info Chris. It looks like something I'll try. How's the shelf life on it? Which brand do you recomend?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

i've never heard of the cheap auto detail air gun. I'm learning to paint, and getting even coats with a brush is killing me. Anyone have any details of specific brand/model gun used and technique? i.e. what settings to use and how to clean the gun after?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

cheap spray guns, look here.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=spray+gun
Old 04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by nemix
i've never heard of the cheap auto detail air gun. I'm learning to paint, and getting even coats with a brush is killing me. Anyone have any details of specific brand/model gun used and technique? i.e. what settings to use and how to clean the gun after?
I have'nt tried it myself but I was thinking about getting the $24 one in the link provided by LOW ET. It has a 1.5mm needle and this stuff is pretty thick. From what I've read you just clean with water, but rubbing alcohol will work too.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

thanks guys. There is a HF store not 25 minutes from me. for 25 bucks i'll pick that up and see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I use my siphon feed airbrush to spray the liquid mask. I filter it through a cheese cloth first to ensure it is perfect with no junk in it. For clean up i use water and my air compressor to blast the cone and the tube out. It is nice because i can spray it on real heavy so I only need to do 3 coats. Also with 12th scale bodies it is easier to get into the cracks.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
I use my siphon feed airbrush to spray the liquid mask. I filter it through a cheese cloth first to ensure it is perfect with no junk in it. For clean up i use water and my air compressor to blast the cone and the tube out. It is nice because i can spray it on real heavy so I only need to do 3 coats. Also with 12th scale bodies it is easier to get into the cracks.
interesting.. i might try that.. i have an old badger airbrush that's siphon feed.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

interesting.. i might try that.. i have an old badger airbrush that's siphon feed.
Oh also you need to clean it real quick or it will dry up. You can't let it sit for more than 2 minutes in the cone or tube or it dries, so use a sewing needle to plug it until you get to the sink to clean it. I learned the hard way.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

what psi are you shooting the mask at?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

what psi are you shooting the mask at?
40 has been working good.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I think the Bob divley is the best hands down the shelf life is great and when applied (i use a brush a sharp razor cut wit no prob) I only but this in the quart due to the volume of them I paint but the 4 oz will do three to maybe 4 bodies,and I do 4-5 coats also. Good luck with the spray because that is just extra cleaning and we want to paint dang it not clean equipment!! Unless Im doing like 10 plus bodies I would not even bother but that my opinion. Good luck and happy painting
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for the great response!
I promise to post pics of my RB5 for all of you that helped me on this issue as soon as I'm finished. Probably about a week or two.
The Stringcheese Kid