Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An interesting challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default An interesting challenge

You lot are a bad influence ! i thought i was being pretty adventurous when i painted my t-max candy blue with candy red flames ! ah well, it's only money !
More to the point of this thread;
I'm a car modder and could really do with your help, I'm into I.C.E. and in order to stand out you have to be different !
i'm trying to reproduce this http://www.alclad2.com/rainbow.html
now bear in mind i'm painting on a solid surface so no backing is possible
1 where do i buy it ?
2 any ideas how the hell i can do it ?

come'on you lot, if anyone is gonna know it's gonna be you, Please share with a "foreigner"
Pretty please ?
Old 07-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It doesnt matter if you are painting on a solid surface or a clear one your backing color is the same but on a solid surface you would put the backing color down first.....then the actual color over that...then a clear if the paint needs it. Im not sure how that paint effect was done but this would be how you go about painting it. Hopefully someone else can tell you what you need to buy.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

This paint effect is fairly simple. Kevin is right, you need to get your backing coat down. I would take the model and spray it with a base coat of silver. From there, I would take one bottle of SpazStix Holographic paint and spray the entire bottle (get two if you need extra) on your model in several thin coats. Then I would spray a modelers clear coat over it.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice !
i'm actually trying to achieve a holo effect over white, a similar kind of idea to pearl paint flips over white but different.
any ideas ? basicaly i want it to look white (ish) but have a crazy effect when the light catches the angles, pearl flips have been done and i was aiming for a holo flip.
would a pearl white base work ?
it's actually for an amplifier display ! i was toying with the idea of neon effect colours and using U/V lamps but this would give me an alternative (and very different) route.
would you believe this kind of stuff just isn't used by us car modders ? our flips cost £80 per litre, minimum order ! for basic 2 colour, (kinda limits experimentation)
i wish i could have been an artist, big effects are my thing, small stuff and i'm like an elephant on tranqualizers !
Old 08-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Rookie

OK don't give up on me just yet !
I typicaly use automotive type paints, what is the modeling equivilent ? Laquer ?and where is the best place to get it in the UK (pref mail order)
Anyone ?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

i to use a lot of automotive paint and i build plastic models and paint helmets on models i use base coat and then clear coat never seem to have any problems but back to my point. ppg automotive paints makes that prizm stuff in a metal flake form, if your fimilar with auto paint then you know what balencer and binder is i just mix some of the flake with the b&b and spay over silver in your case i would not use a silver base just the flake and b&b should make for a cool efect
Old 08-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for that, yeah i use PPG, mainly the synthetics tho !
i'll give the dealer a pester tomorrow ! got a feeling he's gonna want quantity purchase tho.
i'd like to start experimenting without having to buy litres at a time (just getting into using this airbrush, and having fun !) so the bottle sizes modellers use woulda been perfect for that,
i was getting seriously confused with all these paint types and the way nobody seems to care about compatability, if i tried things like this it'd end in disaster ! i have enough problems with wierd paint that seems to react with anything including isolators !