Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Digital Camera Recommendations Please! >

Digital Camera Recommendations Please!

Digital Camera Recommendations Please!

Old 06-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Digital Camera Recommendations Please!

I really need to get a digital camera so I can sell stuff on ebay, and so I can post pics on these forums too.

A reasonably priced camera that provides high quality pics( if thats possible) would be nice.

Can you post sample pics too?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Things to look for in a decent digital camera.

1. As large an image file as you can afford. The larger the image file the better the image will look when printed. Its easy to make them smaller for the net and such, but if you want prints then you need megapixels.
2. As much image storage as you can afford. More storage equals taking more images before you need to download the memory card/stick/ or diskette.
3. Look for cameras with optical zoom instea dof digital zoom. Optical zoom uses glass lenses to zoom. Digital zooms crop the image and make the pixels bigger to zoom in on the image, resulting in a poorer image.
4. If you buy a decent camera now then you will be able to do more with it as you learn to use it.

I shoot a lot of sports and nature shots with an Olympus C2100UZ 2.1 mpixel camera. It has an effective 38-380 optical zoom made with Canon glass and Canon's image stabilization. The digital zoom is up to 3X so the effective zoom can reach over 1100mm, but there is a siginificant drop off in image quality at the extreme zoom. Pictures shot in SHQ mode are 16" X 20" and make truly excellent 8" x 10"s from WalMart digital 1 hour processing. I wish the image file was larger, but the camera offered the full SLR functions I wanted for motorsports photography. I have two 128MB Smartmedia cards for storage.

I have some pics at http://www.geocities.com/apeximages

Hope this helps, Kevin
Old 07-01-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Please!

Originally posted by FREAKAH
I really need to get a digital camera so I can sell stuff on ebay, and so I can post pics on these forums too.

A reasonably priced camera that provides high quality pics( if thats possible) would be nice.

Can you post sample pics too?

Thanks in advance!
I'm usually not a mfr snob; but you can't go wrong with a Canon, from the A300 to the S50. I personally have an s30 that has been absolutely great. 2 MP is enough for very good quality.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Stick with the major brands and you can't go wrong. I prefer Sony, Olympus, Nikon, and maybe Fujifilm. Sony seems to enhance colors which might make things look nicer however reds is not it's strong point. Olympus and Nikon are great but the pricier ones are nicer. Fuji has good features but ergonomics sometimes is not that good. Each have their own quirks and you just have to pick the one that bothers you the least. Check out:
http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en for reviews.
BTW, Happy Bday!

Last edited by rskoncepts; 07-02-2003 at 12:04 AM.