R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography-59/)
-   -   Backing Alclad II in cans (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/20107-backing-alclad-ii-cans.html)

SNR~EVO6 06-19-2003 02:13 PM

Backing Alclad II in cans

I need to know how I can back the Alclad II in cans. I have read in most places that you have to back Alclad with acrylic paint, or it will mess up the mirror finish. BUT, I don't have an airbrush... that is why I was looking into using Alclad in cans. Anyone make lexan acrylic paints in cans????? has anyone used Aclad in cans? How did it work, and what did you back it with?

Difuser 06-19-2003 02:31 PM

I have not used the cans but with the airbrush I don't always back the Alclad and it still gives the chrome finish. You also do not have to hose the body to get the proper finish.

ApexGraphics 06-20-2003 06:21 AM

You chould be able to back the aerosol AlcladII with aerosol black. Be careful. Allow the AlClad to dry and cure before backing it and put on very light and very dry coats of black. If you spray heavy with the black the thinner in the black will attack and dissolve the Alclad and make a mess of it. Hold the can of blakc back a little more than normal to allow some of the thinner to evaporate out of the spray before it reaches the body. This is the reason why most recommend using acrylics.

SNR~EVO6 06-20-2003 08:00 AM

I got a reply from Alclad and they suggest using a disposable spay gun made by Preval to sray some Faskolor to back the chrome in a can.

Here is what it looks like:

Preval Sprayer

NEXT QUESTION?

Can I spray Pactra cans over the acrylic or not? Because I want to use neon colors and white and other light colors, so I can't do the black over the white and light colors!

ApexGraphics 06-20-2003 11:03 AM

You can spray either one over the other, but only after they have cured.

Acrylics are basically a sheet of plastic when they are dry and cured and can cover anything.

Lacquers are pigment that uses a solvent to make it liquid and to promote its bonding with the surface. When the thinner has completely evaporated and the paint has hardened the acrylic will go right over it no problem. When the water/ammonia/alcohol solvent in the acrylic has evaporated and the paint has completely hardened into a plastic film, it can be painted over with lacquers just as well. It does require patience to allow the paint to cure.

I would give acrylics a minimum of 24 hours to cure in a warm dry place. Lacquer should be fine in 24 hours if it is not painted on too heavy.

SNR~EVO6 06-21-2003 09:04 AM

THANKS That's what I figured! Just give it some time to harden!

Now I just have to dream up a paint scheme/masking

Want to use:
Chrome
Neon/Bright Orange
Neon to really bright Blue
Bright white

I've always like how orange, blue and white look together, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm thinking chrome flames with bright blue outlines, mainly a white body, with some sort of orange and blue graphix/stripes.:nod: