Need help with paint questions

Old 05-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with paint questions

I am getting my sterolithography model back from production and now focusing my attention on the painting. It is a boat at 1/10th scale. I really like the fasglitter stuff but am a little concerned it will not work on my model. The model is made of resin (very silimar properties of ABS and polypropylene) I am wanting to spray a base coat of red then a layer of fasglitter and then a clear coat. Problem is will the fasglitter work with a clear coat over it? Will it be smooth? and what kind of clear coat? Is it water Proof? This model is mainly for show, but has all the equipment for running like the GTX 800 hanging off the back. I am basically painting in reverse of the lexan bobies. Any help would be appriciated. Mossman
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

The fasglitter will work just fine, though you may want to try using a black base as well as the red to see how they both look before you spray the boat. Personally, I like the black backer better but that is just a personal preference. As for spraying the clear coat over the fasglitter, you will need to spray multiple layers and possibly need to sand them with 1000 to 2000 grit sand paper after a few coats. As for which clear coat, go to the auto store and ask them for a clear coat that has some flexibility to it.