Community
Wiki Posts
Search

350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default 350z

I'm not sure I like the color combo, the wife picked it out. I like the individualy, just not sure together, but its growing on me.

Now I have to finish trimming it. I don't think I'll put the wing on, it's gawky.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Credit to the wife for a sano scheme. Also to you for executing well once again.

Keivn
Old 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Nice, very nice indeed! Certainly a unique combo.

I wanted to thank you for the excellent post on beginning airbrushing. I am quite motivated to try it, but I have a question.

With the spray stuff being $4+ a can, and the jars of paint for airbrushing being less than $3, can I tell the keeper of the castle that even if I spend the $ for a compressor and brush, that I'll save $ on paint jobs in the future?

Put another way, do I save money, or just get a neato paint job?

Thanks again for the article, perhaps I should have finished it before I posted...
Old 05-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

who makes that body
Old 05-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Looks like pro-line makes one. http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro_car.htm
Old 05-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

NIce Haunted.....

What color is that on the front of the car!?!?
Old 05-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

It is a proline. I normally like their bodies but wasn't that thrilled with this one. If they are going to make street bodies, they need to seriously improve their decals and add a lot more of them.

Punhisher, its an experimental color.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default SAVING MONEY...

id say that you would save $$ with airbrush paints. the bottles i can use on 4-5 cars on graphix, with the cans a lot is wasted into the air spraying. not to mention all the fantastic colors!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks tamiyadriver, I appreciate the reply. I guess Haunted thought I was joking, which I was kinda, however I am the kind of person that forgets about purchase price pretty quickly, but stresses on the continuing expenses!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

rpnick,

You'll only save money with an airbrush if you use it frequently. Yes the paints are generally cheaper and last longer, but then you have to factor in the $200 or so dollars for airbrush and compressor and then figure in another $100 in paint. $300 bucks alone will get you 75 cans or so of paint which should last 75 bodies or so. The simple math of it is, will you paint 75 bodies in 3 to 4 years to balance it out? That to me is the break even point. So, the question is, will you even approach 75 bodies in 3 to 4 years? if so, get the airbrush. If not, stay with cans. Personally, I like the creative experience the airbrush provides to the extra expense is worth it. The reality is though, you can do about 90% of the paint jobs you see that are airbrushed with cans if you just plan them out.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

VERY CLEAN haunted! I wish i could afford the real one!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

well, thats prolly true. i had a compressor in the garage for working on full size cars, so i didnt have to buy that. i bought a paasche airbrush for 65, and about 10 bottles o paint... does most of what i need. didnt really figure that cost of compressor... that does drive up the price!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Haunted. Your article has me motivated to try it, and not just on car bodies. The paint jobs you show look so good, I can only hope I approach your ability... probably in about 5 years! But I doubt it.

My bro just loaned me (permanently) a Blue Point brush with it's own compressor and accessories. Someone on the other thread I posted thinks it's a Badger something-or-other since Blue Point is a Snap-On re-label. I hope it's acceptable for the purpose, because the price is right, and that means a good selection of paint, etc.

Don't know what I was thinking about $ for anyway. This whole rc hobby is far from inexpensive! I think I've spent 3x what I ever thought I would on planes, and now cars, which to date is about 2x, and growing.

Now I'm gonna have to buy her something good for Mom's day, I don't think dinner's gonna cut it.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the compliments, but my work is truly one of those "if I can do it any one can" kind of things. As long as you plan your paint job and can match colors, you should be good to go! Having a free airbrush makes it a no brainer! You'll love having a lot more colors available to you. Post up some pics of what you do!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend, and I'll post how my first experience went, good or bad! Next thing is to get a reamer, as you mention "stop being a cheapskate..." I wondered if those things were worth the $20! You've sold me on the fact that I need one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.