Wiki Posts
Search

Airbrush spit water..:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Airbrush spit water..:(

I just bought a iwata esclipse HP-CS airbrush kit with air compressor off from ebay for brand new. Had no problem with spray color in thin to thick and bold to fade but sometime it spit water. What would cause this? Does it has something to do with the air compressor?

-Dustin
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You need a moisture trap. This will filter out the moisture in the air as you spray. The more your compressor works, the hotter it will get and the more moisture will saturate the air being held in the compressor.

Check out this link.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Funny thing is i do have the moisture trap but it still spit water. I can see them fill up with moisture in it. Bad air compressor or bad moisture trap? Here the link i bought the air compressor along with the airbrushes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200117718445

My guess is the air compressor is no good. Maybe i should get a iwata air compressor or do you have a suggestion on better one?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

does your compressor have a drain plug in it? if so turn your compressor off drain all the air out, then unscrew the drain plug and let the water drain out.

One time I had about 3 gallons of water in my 20 gallon air compressor tank. sometimes sediment builds up and plugs this hole, so you might have to stick a screw driver in it to clear it out.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

there should be nothing wrong with the brush or the compressor, as was said earlier the more the compresor heats up the more likely you are to get mouisture in the air coming out of it due to condensation in the line as the air cools off.

you also need to drain the mouisture trap when you see it start to build up water in the bowl.

I'm guessing you live in an area with high humidity as well this will also give you some problems as well if that is the case.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yep. Just condensation in the air/hose. Easy fix.. Nice airbrush set up you got by the way!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah i am living in area where the humidity is high. I have clear out all the little water that stick onto moisture trap wall inside. Still spit water once in a while. Will this extra moisture trap help?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDD65&P=7
Old 06-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is the one that I use.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6B315
Old 06-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hey guys i already have a water trap, but found i still get water spitting out. can i mount two water traps onto a compressor?

Last edited by TomB; 06-17-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

How often do you guys drain the compressor?
I know when i was an apprentice i had to do it every week other wise every one in the work shop would blow up saying the the water is wrecking their air tools don't you just love apprentice duties
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
How often do you guys drain the compressor?
I know when i was an apprentice i had to do it every week other wise every one in the work shop would blow up saying the the water is wrecking their air tools don't you just love apprentice duties
i do it at the satart of every painting job, but it still acumulates water. (i get rid of the water by taking out the tap and letting the compressor run, and pump out the water from the tank)
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

im not sure what type/brand of compressor you got do you do it by the tap you plug the air line in or the drain tap if it has one

one thing i couldn't tell from your post is if you drain it when the tank is fully compressed or not its best to do it when it is full the pressure help's blow the water out better then an emty tank with just the pump pressure blowing it out
Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your tank hasn't been drained in a while, I seriously don't recomend draining it at full pressure. Unless you like being showered by rust colored water at a high velocity.

If iT's an older compressor, it is going to have rust inside. because if you think about it like this. your tank is most likely made of steal, water builds up and your pumping air into the tank. Water + Air = Rust. It's a mess, I know because I watched a highschool kid try to drain our compressor at work. It was at full pressure, and he got the wort rust colored shower I've ever seen.

Funny stuff though
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys... if you look at the third post there is a link to the equipment he bought. It isn't a tank type compressor, it's a small airbrush type compressor.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

whats more then likely happening is that the compressor is heating up so much that the air doesn't have enough time to cool the air before it leaves the moisture trap and is cooling down in the hose/metal body of the airbrush and is forming condensation well after the moisture trap.

there are several things you can do to correct this problem.

1> add an inline moisture trap about a foot before the end of the hose nearest the brush.

2> add an air storage tank with the moisture trap relocated to the output of the new tank. tanks can be found at kmart walmart HD and llowes and most auto part chain stores.

3> get a 10foot section of air line from your local home depot or lowes or plumbing supply and relocate the mouistre trap to the end of that hose and connect you airbrush hose to the trap.

while not the most elegant of solutions any of the three above should eliminate your moisture problems.