Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
What colors do you use for detailing?? >

What colors do you use for detailing??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What colors do you use for detailing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Default What colors do you use for detailing??

Let's go again , but this time what do you use for smooth fades , detailing, dots etc...

1. Faskolor
2. Pactra
3. Testors
4. Spazstix
5. createx
6. Other , which?

i also used to use Faskolor , but i don't like anymore the way that my fades look!!
I thing that is a matter of paint , i believe that waterbased colors cannot be thined as much as an acrylic paint!!
BTW i use a Kyosho Airbrush which is as i know Iwata HP-C!!
any comments..
Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what are you thinning the paint with?

don't say water.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

i used to do it with water , but then tried windex(azax) , and the same thing happened !! I don't know yet if alcohol is the solution!!
What do you prefer??
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zacharopoulos
i used to do it with water , but then tried windex(azax) , and the same thing happened !! I don't know yet if alcohol is the solution!!
What do you prefer??

A 50-50 mix of alcohol and windex works well. I've also done straight alcohol, which can work well, but the paint starts to dry in the color cup and can get gummy and plug the airbrush sometimes.

What pressure are you running, how good is your moisture trap, and how often (and with what) do you clean your brush?

Also, while the HP-C is good, the needle might be a bit too fine for acryllics (although I've seen good work with an HP-C and acryllic paint).

Really REALLY fine drop shadowing can be done easier with lacquer paint, but you can get fine results with acryllic too.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

I amk running at 0.15 - 0.4 Mpa , i clean the whole airbrush ( disassemble) at every color or at every 2 colors if i don't mind to have a mix , i clean it with water or warm water if it is needed !!

i use Kyosho Mini Z air power system , includes compressor 2 water traps ( i think they work well), hose and the airbrush and a stand!!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I amk running at 0.15 - 0.4 Mpa , i clean the whole airbrush ( disassemble) at every color or at every 2 colors if i don't mind to have a mix , i clean it with water or warm water if it is needed !!

i use Kyosho Mini Z air power system , includes compressor 2 water traps ( i think they work well), hose and the airbrush and a stand!!

Is that a tankless or tanked compressor?

Also, since I'm in a backwards country that's too stubborn to switch to SI (yay, USA) I had to covert your mPa to psi, and I see you're running between 20 and 50 psi. You shouldn't need to run higher than 30 psi really, as the paint will start to dry at higher speeds and you have less control. For details I often run at 12 to 15 psi.

Got a picture of what your fades look like? and what you want to get? Fades are tough, and often it takes practice to do them well.

Also, while cleaning with water is fine, I'm also assuming you tear it down every so often and clean with a thinning agent? Water won't dissolve cured paint, but lacquer thinner will completely strip any residue.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

mmm yeah some times i use thinning things to clean it but not so often.

it isn't really a tanked , but it stops hen the pressure increases and starts again when it decreases.

ok i will try the psi you are talking about and let you now but not now.

You can see my work if you click m signature , and i want to get something like Shop's UFO fade that i admire , .
Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
A 50-50 mix of alcohol and windex works well.
one more question , how much of this mixture at a bottle?? 3:1 or something different??
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

one more question , how much of this mixture at a bottle?? 3:1 or something different??

Depends on the color. Pearls usually need more, Fluorescents or faslucents need the least (if any).

You want a consistency that flows and works for you. 70 paint-30 thinner will be pretty runny, and would work for the thicker paints.

However, I'm not scientific at all about it and I just thin until it's a consistency I can work with. If it's a custom color that uses pearls though, I usually put in probably 25% alcohol/windex.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

thanks again man
Old 05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can see my work if you click m signature , and i want to get something like Shop's UFO fade that i admire , .
Of course you realize, alot of what shop can do isn't just the tools. He uses fascolor, I believe but he's had years of experience at this point so he's gotten pretty darn good at drop shadows.

I'm no expert, but I've found that the best advice with drop shadows is you paint less than you think you need. And you also aim the drop shadow inside the edge you're trying to shadow/fade, not at the edge. This, of course, is only a rule of thumb, as often you want to see a distinct shadow farther down, so clearly you would HAVE to paint outside the edge... but in general, I've found they look better when you're sparing with the paint (especially black) and let the overspray do the work.

And of course, he uses an HP-CH iwata hiline brush, which is a bit better than your kyosho iwata clone.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Actually is not a clone is an iwata with kyosho logo , but you are right , luck has a lot of experience that is why everyone is talking for his paintjobs!
I also talk with luck and he let me know some things i tried and i got better , but he is very busy that's why i don't want to disturb him!!