Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
How to Protect Your Paint? Need Advice >

How to Protect Your Paint? Need Advice

How to Protect Your Paint? Need Advice

Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How to Protect Your Paint? Need Advice

What is the best way to protect the paint on R/C bodies? I've tried Shoe Goo twice and twice it's screwed up my bodies.

The first time it peeled the paint away from the body when I was putting it on. I just figured I probably didn't let the paint dry long enough before applying the Goo. So on my next body I let the paint dry several days before trying. I also decided to use the mesh dry-wal tape as an added layer of protection. I put down the tape and gently applied the Goo last night. Everything looked great.

Well, this morning when I woke up it looked like the Goo had shrunk as it dried and pulled the paint away from the body again. When I got home from work today it was evern worse. It's especially bad around the contoured areas.

So is there something better I could be using to protect my paint? Or if Shoe Goo is the shiz then what am I doing wrong? Any tips would be appreciated.

P.S.
This is for 1/8 scale nitro and I do scuff my bodies with a scotch brite pad before painting them.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
wes
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

use the createx matte clear coat.

http://www.dixieart.com/Createx_Airbrush_Mediums.html

best thing to use. flexable will make your bodies last longer protects paint and as much as ive tried it is fuel proof. i left some fuel on it for like a day and then ran it under the sink water and still protected. its cheap too.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Wow - It can be sprayed on too? That's an added bonus. Just so I'm clear, it's the "Matte Top Coat" (AB 560316), correct?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
wes
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes that is corrct and yes its basically clear. and if you use a hvlp its pretty much shiny. just use your siphon feed airbrush and put a decent layer on. but before its fully hardened take your window masks off or you will have a fun time trying to get them off. from all the times people have used the bodies ive put it on it made the body last longer. the paint was less likely to chip and if it did start to chip it didnt chip off it just de glued a little like what happened with you. but these are bodies people used for months so they got lots of airtime.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Very good advice - thank you for your help.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Paint

I use clear laquor or enamel, depending on the paint used, from the hardware store. It fuel proofs the paint also.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up paint protection

Hi max here i do a lot of airbrush work and find- custom paint- do a nitro block spray which helps protect paintwork a fair bit, ive also tried a lot of different paints and found auto air colours are one of the toughest as to acrylic paints, and stays on very well.
cheers max.