Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Sealing/thickening/protecting a can spray job >

Sealing/thickening/protecting a can spray job

Sealing/thickening/protecting a can spray job

Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Sealing/thickening/protecting a can spray job

Just wanted to know if I would be able to use a pressure pack of automotive clear to seal and protect the inside of a lexan body.

Because this body is a single colour, one tamiya can didn't really go too far, and as I was triming it, I noticed that barely touching the paint with a tool cause a slight flake/scratch. I imagine its going to get a rougher life than that once its bolted onto a car, so i wanted to strengthen/protect the paint a bit.

Also, how long after spraying would the last coat be 'cured', if it was just left? (No heat gun or hair dryer).
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Are you using the right paint. You'll need a flex agent in the paint otherwise it will flake off. Eventually the inside of the body will rub in certain areas when you drive the car.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Initiate

As i mentioned in the post, the paint was a tamiya rattle can.

I was just hoping to be able to use something a little easier to find for protect the inside a bit more, since the tamiya can didn't go on as thick as I hoped, and they have to be special-ordered with a 4 day wait.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Tech Initiate

OK. Bad news for me. The local hobby shop ordered in TS as you suggested, and I've finished doing the whole bloody car. Is it rooted?

Bloody hell, I'm so pissed off.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Well here is my new electric drift car.

Not finished yet but mostly done. Toyworld in Darwin sent us TS instead of PS cans, but I didn't notice until I'd finished spraying, so apparently this paint job isn't going to last long :'(

I'm leaving it as-is for a day or two, hoping that the paint thats on it will cure enough to hold for a while, at least until I can find another camaro body. I still need to file/sand the edges smooth and paint on a bit more chrome trim but i've kind of lost interest.

I hate the look of decals generally, so the door handles and taillight surrounds are hand painted on.

Also, they look black in the pics, but the tail lights and headlights are still see-through/transparent, so I can mount my LED lights later.

Apart from the paint being the wrong type, my main problem with this body is that I miss-measured the first post holes on the hood. That, and you need MASSIVELY wide rims to fill the rear guards.

Thanks everyone for the help in this thread.