Spaz stix paints.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Spaz stix paints.

I am hoping you R.C guys can help out this fishing lure guy. I have been trying to get a nice chrome/mirror finish on the outside of a plastic lure. I bought some spaz stix mirror chrome. I am trying to understand some of the terms you guys use. Interior and backing. Are your cars clear and do you paint the inside with the mirror chrome the spray the black to back it like you would if your making a regular mirror.

If you want to spray it on the exterior, I read here to use a water base black paint to spray on the piece first then apply the mirror chrome. If this is correct what is the best type/brand of paint to use.

I also bought some change color paint to try. How do you use it. Would I put down a color paint as well before applying the change color?

Another question about air brushing fine lines. What type of paint is the easiest to use to get fine lines with a fine nozzel airbrush. Createx plugs on me.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

95% of the paint jobs done on here are done from the inside of clear lexan bodies. for the mirror chrome i would paint the black first the object to the mirror chrome is thin layers. the color change paint works well the same way.

hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:04 AM
wes
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you cant use any rc chrome to get a chrome finish on a lure.

to get a true chrome finish you will have to spend big money to get true chrome paint and buy the proper tools to apply.

now there is a big secret about chrome paint. you have to have a perfectly smooth surface or you will see any sort of imprefectiongs in it. so what you have to do is do your design then clear it. now get that clear as smooth as possible and let it dry for however long it needs. now is when you do your chrome. mask off do whatever you need to it and once you are done with your chrome clear again. and if your satisfied it should be finished.

now in doing a single lure you will need to buy chrome clear sand paper buffing tools and of course your airbrushes. so to do a single lure your looking at about 400$ in materials.

just buy the cheap 20$ lure.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Make sure the black you use is water base, Faskote or similar, or it will bleed through the chrome. Use an air brush at around 15 psi for the chrome.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Use Createx, Parma Faskolor black. Both are water based and work well with the chrome.
Also check out http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html .