Trouble spraying Parma Fascolor.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Trouble spraying Parma Fascolor.

I'm having some issues with a new Paashe VL brush. I'm using the #5 tips and needle. When spraying straight out of the bottle as it says you can i'm getting a sad spray pattern(spattering/dry spray) and having to use alot of air. If I dilute it with a little water the spray pattern is still sad and the paint does not sit well on the body(too runny?).

Is this paint that hard to spray? I'm thinking of going back to Pactra or such oil based paints.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

don't reduce faskolors with water, try windex. I personally use a 50/50 mix of windex and 70% iso alchohol. Try not to do heavy coats either, that will make it run.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

So your using 50/50 paint and windex, and the 50/50 mix with 70% iso alchohol? Sounds real runny no?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I had problems with Faskolor paints at first too. Their email support from their website is top notch. Any question you have and they can answer it.

In my opinion, Faskolor paints are superior to acrylics in the brightness of the colors (nobody has neon a bright as theirs), the variety of crazy pearls, and nothing comes close to the Fasflip paints. The benefit to latex paints is that you can paint indoors without the fumes and cleanup is as easy as hot water and the kitchen sink. SpazStix has some awesome stuff too, but I have a hard time finding it.

The trick with Faskolor is to blast it at 70psi with a #3 or *5 tip, depending on what I'm painting. For "Mask 'n Spray" jobs I just use the #5. I have a Chandler & Thayer Vega 2000 airbrush, and their #3 is a "medium".

Really, 70psi.

Mr.Maim
Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

@70 Psi how do you spray well with so much air? Like theres no way you can fine line or such with that much air. Do you thin your paints too?

P.S. I agree on the colors.... they are amazing.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

sorry barry, I forgot. I typically reduce by 1 part windex/alcohol, 2 parts paint. On pearls I reduce more. It makes the paint flow better, just don't spray as much on one coat.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks XAC, I will give that a shot.
Last time I used ISO alchohol on this paint it curdled, like old milk. What did I do wrong?

XAC, what Psi you running?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Fascolor has to be sprayed at at least 50 psi.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

I had lots of problems with Faskolor at first too, so I gave up on it. Then, a friend gave me some bottles for a free paint job so i'm forcing myself to learn how to spray it. I had good luck with a Iwata airbrush and the stock tip. I can spray it without thinning at about 50 psi. I also have a Paasche which originally gave me lots of problems with Faskolor. I think to get the fine lines, you'll need to thin it like they said, run the higher pressure, but with the small tip, you should be able to do small lines with it. I don't have any black Faskolor at the moment or I would experiment with it.

Make sure you scuff the body before painting. This is key with Faskolor because if the body is smooth, the high air pressures will blow the paint around it won't stick right away. I usually scuff the body with white scotch-bright and then wash it. Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The windex trick works amazing! I tired it a few weeks back and have had "0" issues now. No spattering, very smooth fades, and gives my wife the urge to wash windows.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

makes whites brighter too! If using the blue windex.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

50psi you say

im using 20 and it is working very well

but i will try 50 with my new compresser

kool
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

(Quote Barry W.)
Last time I used ISO alchohol on this paint it curdled, like old milk. What did I do wrong?

Barry,

The only time I have ever run into this problem, is when you use a ISO rating above 70% Alchohol.
Try not to use 90% or anything like that.
Its just too strong!

Doorman
Old 03-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

I have my compressor set at 42psi, but control the air flow on the MAC valve of my airbrush. If I were to guess, it's probably around 25psi and much, much lower for detail work.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by masta-racah
50psi you say

im using 20 and it is working very well

but i will try 50 with my new compresser

kool
Originally Posted by JetMD
Make sure you scuff the body before painting. This is key with Faskolor because if the body is smooth, the high air pressures will blow the paint around it won't stick right away. I usually scuff the body with white scotch-bright and then wash it. Hope that helps.

I usually spray at 20-25 for basic fades, 10 to 15 for chrome or details. The only time I ever go above 25 is if I want to cover a lot of real estate really quickly. I can't imagine even spraying at 50; it would be way too much paint way too quickly, and as I don't scuff my bodies (and as I've NEVER had flaking issues, believe it's unnecessary if you give adequate curing time) I can imagine that YES, it would scoot that much paint all around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.