R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default newbie for body painting

im nebwbie with body painting, i have few questions regarding my new unpainted body:

1. how do i cut the body.?? i just bought unpainted protoform body.. is there any special tools to cut it.? or just use normal knife.?

2. what is the basic step to paint the body.?

3. can anyone give me a tips to paint the body.?

thx a lot..
amie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

anyone can help me..
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kcdzim

1. Cut the body either by scoring with an exacto blade and then tearing/breaking the edge away or use scissors (preferably very sharp, small blades). They make lexan specific scissors in straight and curved.

If you use the exacto method, you'll generally get a better edge in curves, but it takes a lot of practice to get a consistent line. Plus, since it takes more than one pass (usually) to get a really easy to break score, if you're not dextrous enough to cut along the same line it can make it look messy (and is potentially dangerous if you slip).

2. Paint the INSIDE of the body. Dark colors first, light colors second. Let each coat dry for at least 15 minutes. I assume you're doing rattle cans, so when you're painting a solid area, you should make it at least 3 coats. NOT one thick one.

3. Masking... use masking tape (blue) for your first bodies. Generally, the bodies you see on here with complex designs are cut masking tape or liquid mask. Lay out the tape (or LM) inside, then cut it with a blade. Peel as you go.

If you use masking tape and rattle cans (any paint really, but important with rattle cans especially) make sure the first coat on a masked edge is PHENOMENALLY thin. Just a light coverage, let it dry, and it will seal the edge and prevent bleed through. You should still be able to see through the body on the first coat.

Use a respirator because the paint isn't good for you. And have fun.

Other tips...
Always back flourescent paint with white if you want them bright. Do not use Pactra fluor white cover coat against bare lexan (great for backing fluor paints, just not white on it's own. Will crack & peel to all heck, it does NOT bond to lexan).

If you must paint a dark color after a light color, back the light color with white, then silver (or silver, then white) to ensure the color does not bleed through and darken the light area.

Check out haunted mysts tutorial for more advanced techniques. It should be linked somewhere on rctech's main page.
Kcdzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie
anyone can help me..

Oh yes, and wash the body with soap and water and dry thoroughly before masking and painting
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

@Kcdzim

many thanks for your help.. I'll start from cutting the body..

Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Tech Adept

personally, i like to mark out the body post holes and such before painting also. makes it really easy when you can see through the bod, rather than marking nd drill after.

just my 2cents before tax
miks vones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie
@Kcdzim

many thanks for your help.. I'll start from cutting the body..

Just fyi, I was answering questions in the order you asked, not the order of steps. I personally don't cut the body until afterwards because I don't like overspray on my hands and I my design process tends for an even line on either side of a holes so it helps if I can mask on the wheel wells as well or other body openings.