website suggestions and opinions?

Old 12-16-2006, 01:48 PM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

Default website suggestions and opinions?

www.headcasegraphics.com

nothing works yet. in fact, it's only the home page with a greeting right now. i have lots of other work to do, so not a lot of time to work on it until later in the month. but you can get a general idea of the feel i'm going for.

what i'm hoping to get from some of you guys are suggestions on features and whatnot. it's going to be based almost solely on my helmet painting, but i'll also have a small section with a few car bodies that i plan to do, and another section with examples of other random stuff i've done.

let me know what you think! it's my first experience with making a website, so go easy!

thanks!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks good. I'm assuming it won't be tiled once it's done?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:58 PM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Looks good. I'm assuming it won't be tiled once it's done?
i'm not even sure what tiled means in regards to websites. but if you're talking about the background, it'll all be one big piece.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

He's BACK! Good to see that you are getting a site up and running, I have been thinking about a site myself. So far the site looks really cool, best of luck with everything.

Sean
Old 12-18-2006, 12:16 AM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

thanks, sean. i don't think i can afford to paint too many bods unless the hourly comes somewhere close to what i make on other stuff, but i hope to at least do some for fun. i've got a lot of ideas.

tiling problem fixed. that's how new i am to this stuff. i didn't even know what tiling meant. i had to ask someone *sigh*
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 PM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

here's what i have so far. i haven't completely worked out the navigation yet, but it's getting there. i'm already tired of working on it

Old 12-24-2006, 12:49 PM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

dang. still no love on the website? what do i have to do??
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Honest feedback...

Site is very high on the cool factor. The design is well rendered, and looks like it took a ton of time. Well done. You're clearly talented.

But the visual design is so complicated that it's scoring low on the usability for me. It's just not easy to see. For example, the page is (slightly) too big to fit well on a 1024x768 screen; the "headcase graphics" logo at the top is too big/low contrasty to easily read. You want your logo/name to pop at the user, and this one doesn't yet - it forces them to actually read it. Try smaller with some touches of another highlight color to make it really snap. I dig the monochromatic theme, but the links are too low in contrast to be clear that they're different than non-clickable elements.

The center graphic element appears to be clickable, but doesn't do anything. I assume at some point it would do something, although the design doesn't suggest what it would do or why I might want to click on it.

There's nothing telling me about the site; what's the purpose, what will I find there, who are you and why should I spend any time there? In other words, you have no content (the helmets are cool, but you need content to go with them). I know it's a work in progress, but I'd suggest getting that sort of info posted sooner rather than later so it makes sense to those who visit (and may get you more of the feedback you're looking for).

Now don't get me wrong, your site has a lot going for it and I like it. It's very typical of a site that was borne of a graphic concept rather than from a usability concept. My suggestion would be to take a break from working on the graphic elements and look at how easy/hard it is for your target audience to operate, and for them to get what you want them to get.

You have a great start; keep going by adding content/value to your pages.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Take a look at this guy's site. It's not as intensely graphic, but it's much easier to see what it's about, and to navigate although the navigation design is no different than yours. But it still has some cool factor. Notice how the links have more contrast so it's clear where they are and what they do?

http://www.bittydesign.net/homeINGLESE.htm
Old 12-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I used to be a web designer and I tend to design them to be user friendly. Your website looks ok but it's hard to read. The contrasting colors between the graphics and black background is way too intense. I feel the user will not want to stay at the site for too long. Color is important. Perhaps changing the color scheme a little. Here's a site: http://www.phong.com/tutorials/
Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 PM
FTM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys. very useful feedback. the site is meant to be viewed at 1280x1024, so if you change your resolution over to that really quick you'll see it as it's meant to be. a couple of people told me to do it that size, but now i'm wondering what i really should have done. i originally made it 800x600, but everyone semed to be asking why i made it so small.
what should i have done?

as for it being hard to read, i think that might also have a little to do with the resolution. but also consier that this isn't an e-commerce site in any way. it's just a companion to my business card and will only act as such. thus the splashy, hard to read graphics are going to stay. the thinking being that almost anyone visiting the site is there for one reason and will find what they're looking for relatively easily. i may eventually put pricing guidelines on there for helmets, but the whole point of the site is simply to have something to show people when they ask if i have website - sort of an online portfoio.
for a few years now, the answer has been "well i used to, but..."

the navigation is something i'm still working with. it's my first site build, so i expect to eventually have that worked out.

thanks again for the input!