Wiki Posts
Search

airbrush presure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default airbrush presure

what presure are you using ? help......are you watering down your paint ? .....can't get it to spray ?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just got started with my air brush and I bought mine used. I just use straight Fascolor with no thinning. I run mine at 35 PSI. I had a problem with the paint not getting sucked up. Turned out the brush was dirty when I got it. It is jury important that the brush stay clean. Also try priming the brush like you do a nitro engine by holding your finger over the nozzel. Hope some of this helps
Old 07-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

If you're using the Parma paints, you want to thin them about 50/50 with clear Windex. If it's a siphon feed brush, you need to run your pressure quite high to lift the heavy paint up the tube. Probably 35 to 50psi. Now if it's a gravity feed brush, you should be able to spray at 20 to 25 psi. If you're using the Pactra lacquers, still thin it 50/50 with lacquer thinner, but the pressure doesn't need to be anywhere near as high. 12 to 18psi for a gravity feed and 18 to 25psi for siphon feed.

Tony
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When airbrushing, does anyone else have the problem of pressure dropping really low when you start to paint ? I've recently changed compressors, and both I've used did this. Is this normal ?

When you all talk about the pressure you're using, is this your starting pressure, or the pressure it drops to ?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

You should be getting a nice consistant flow of air to your brush. What kind of air line are you using? It almost sounds like the line is too small or has some kind of obstruction that is restricting the air delivery rate.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

32819, we're talking about operating pressure. The line pressure when you're spraying your paint. What you need to do is have your airbrush running (just blow air through it) when you set your pressure. With the small, tankless compressors, the guage will not give you an accurate pressure reading unless you do it that way. I spray at about 18 PSI, but when I'm not using the brush, the guage says 25. That's how much pressure the compressor builds up in the line before it shuts off. That's done so there's no lag between the time when you start to spray and the compressor kicks back on.

Tony
Old 07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Roy & Tony.
I had another play last night and although the pressure still dropped, everything seemed to work just fine.

Another question - when I pressed on the trigger for air, why was I sometimes getting a small blast of water coming out of the brush ???? I was having to be extra careful not to do this over the body in cae I wrecked the painting area.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

You need to install a water trap/filter on the line. When it's humid air going into the compressor, it condenses in the tank and or line. I could go into a lengthy explanation of super heating and rapid cooling creating condensation but... Suffice it to say, you definitely need to have a water trap.

Tony
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Tony,
Thanks again for the advice. I've checked the spec of the comperssor, and it does have a water trap and air filter.
Regards,
Ian
Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

The water trap should be a clear glass or plastic "bowl" with a drain or petcock valve of some sort on the bottom of it like on this one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403

If you don't have something similar to that, then you don't have a water trap. You can get one that's rather inexpensive like this one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42035

Make absolutely sure that your compressor has one and if it does, drain it. If not, add one for sure.

Tony
Old 07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks again Tony, it does have one. The manufacturer says it's down to humidity, temperature etc etc. He recommends an additional moisture trap attached to the airbrush. It is a new compressor and doesn't have any build up in it.
Thanks,
Ian
Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Have you checked to make sure the moisture trap is on correctly. Don't mean to make you sound stupid or anything just asking. Check everything you can before spending money that might not be needed. I know it is humid in my apartment real bad & I don't get any water.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Lil Help!!!....................Lil Help Now!!!!

I only paint mine ad a few others bodies so I only have about 15 paint jobs to my name. I picked up the Faskolor air brush and compressor about a year ago. I spray only faskolor with it. I have sprayed about 75% of their color choices and I STILL cannot get my black Or white to spray correctly for fine shading an detail work!!!! My black always clogs, even when diluted 50/50 with acrylic thinner. My white sprays out in tiny dots! I have tried them both out of the bottle and thinned. PLEASE help!! Thanks fellas!

Brant
Old 07-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Blacks and whites often cause problems, especially when trying to spray detail. I think it's because the pigments are larger? Anyhow, you definately need to reduce these when spraying detail. Try a mixture of 50% distilled water to 50% windex, use this to reduce your paint with a mixture of 60% reducer to 40% paint and go from there. If you still have problems, try a different bottle. If still problems, you may have to switch paint. Try AutoAir detail white/black. Tamiya and Pactra make a transparent smoke that works great for shadows.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you so very much!!!!!

Brant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.