Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help. >

Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.

My first post here, so Hi.

I've got an idea to do a body in a candy orange - Faslucent yellow backed with Fasluminous Red = Bright flouro candy Orange.

Normally I'd back the whole lot in white and get a nice bright candy orange. However, this time I want to add some subtle detail into the body colour by masking off some designs, backing the remaining orange in white, then taking off the masking tape and backing the shapes in silver. My thinking is that the design backed in silver should be a little darker than the orange backed in white, so a nice subtle design.

Can anyone confirm this and save me money on buying paint and possibly finding out that backing in silver produces the same effect as backing in white.

Or would black be a better backing colour for the design shapes as it will make the candy orange darker?

Thanks

Edit: This is the kind of effect (not design) I'm talking about Darker pattern It's from www.sebairbrush.com. Note the way the flames are a couple of shades darker than the base coat but are done in such a way that they appear to kinda blend into the base coat whilst also standing out at the same time. Sounds kinda strange that but get my meaning?

Last edited by westers; 06-26-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you talking about Seb's "Real Fire" technique?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Dunno. I just came across his web site and it gave me an idea for a paint scheme wher I spray a main colour (in this instance it will be a candy orange) and then use two different backing colours to creat my design.My thinking is that if one is lighter than the other then the areas with the darker backing paint will be slightly darker than the rest of the body.

If that's seb's Real Fire technique then that's what I'm trying to do. Got any links?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

No, it's not his Real fire technique. Just had a look at that and whilst it's good it's not what I'm after.

The effect is like the one I linked to in my original post - the flames on the truck body are a slightly darker shade than the rest of the body. It looks to me that he's used a darker backing colour on the flames to make them stand out from the rest of the body.

Ignore the actual flame effect, (I'm not doing flames in my design) it's just what the effect will be to use two different backing paints on the same colour.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ok, I took a look at the truck. IMO, it looks like he darkened the body color just a bit and sprayed it in. I don't know if the diff. between silver and white would really be enough for someone to see a design. Then again I've never tried, so let us know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Will do, although it'll be a while as I'm in the planning stage and getting funds together to do it.

Latest thinking is to use charcoal grey instead of silver and see what that does.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am not real sure if it is different for airbrush vs. spray cans, but I did a flor orange body backed with both white and black. The white gave a bright flor color, while the black changed it to "poop" brown. I was kind of the thinking the same as you, but the black just didnt do it. I dont have a pic of it otherwise I would show you.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Spray some tests on sheet protectors, that'll give you an idea.

You'll have to get a nice even coat of candy though so if you spray white it doesn't show up more orange in different places.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by westers
Will do, although it'll be a while as I'm in the planning stage and getting funds together to do it.

Latest thinking is to use charcoal grey instead of silver and see what that does.
the example of the truck you gave looks like he either darkened the blue by custom mixing it with maybe a black or darker blue - or he might have just painted on a thick coat blue where as the lighter blue - used less paint....

here is an example of what i have done by spraying alot of thing coats, therefore making one big thick coat, and then spraying a a few small light coats behind it to have the same "tone", but have different shades of maroon

i would recommend masking off your subtle designs and spray them with a darker orange (maybe darken it up with some red) - or you can just use red....it looks pretty good together......

just my .02
Attached Thumbnails Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.-hpi-1.jpg   Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.-hpi-2.jpg   Creating a darker pattern by using different backing coat - Help.-hpi.jpg  
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Mr McGoo - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of but can you ellaborate a bit more on the the method you used for the maroon. I think you're saying mask off my design and then spray lots of coats of paint on the remaining body to get a more opaque candy orange (or darker tone) ,then unmask and just shoot a couple of coats of orange over the body. That way the design gets painted but is a lighter tone.

Did you back it completely with white or silver?

I was also thinking last night (I'm in the UK) about maybe mixing a little red into the orange to get a darker shade, although I prefer your method above as it's different tones of the same colour I'm after rathetrthan slightly different colours that mixing red into the orange might produce.

Thanks all.