Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me? >

Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
It's actually easier than you'd think to make your own vacuum former. I did it, and was actually making aftermarket bodies for the X-5 4 wheel drive buggy. but I couldn't keep up with some of the demand, and the cost Versus the profit wasn't enough to encourage further development.

I now have a real vacuum former at work, and am able to do small projects for myself! It's really handy! If you have any questions, I can help answer some!
I convinced the model shop here at work to buy a vacuum forming machine so it looks like I won't need to build one myself. The FDM mold is running right now (had to freeze the design quick, so no canopy for this go-around). Little bit of concern about how many shells we'll be able to pull off the only moderately robust FDM prototype mold. I might cover the mold in aluminum foil to help shield it from the heat.

What was the bulk of your cost, that made it prohibitive to further production?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Kinda hard to see in this photo, but it doesn't look like there is a great deal of turbulence at that rear shock tower hump. I'm going to leave it as it is. The analysis didn't come to full convergence, but the vector at the hump was in the process of straightening out as the solution converged, so I suspect it would only get better.
I ran the analysis first without the wing, just to see it run. Seems like an impressive amoutn of downforce for the amount of drag. Then again, I don't have another model to compare to (anyone have an IGS file of a sedan?).

Last edited by SammyXp; 06-02-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Impressive numbers Sammy. Could you possibly run it again at 50mph?

When you get a few units ready for paint and mounting, I'll have paypal ready for at least 1.

Tony
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
Impressive numbers Sammy. Could you possibly run it again at 50mph?

When you get a few units ready for paint and mounting, I'll have paypal ready for at least 1.

Tony
Yeah, they do seem impressive, don't they? For all I know, the Alpha generated ten lbs of downforce with only a half pound of drag, though. haha

I'm running another one at 30mph with the wing. Then I'll try it at 50. Takes about an hour to run so hopefully I'll have both runs done by this afternoon.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Geez took me forever to figure out that you can't put a 0.075 mesh on a 0.050 thick wing! Finally got 50 iterations to run, though. Solution is more realistic than previous.

About a pound of drag and 2 lbs of downforce. Seems more realistic. Rear wing seems a little unimposing, though. Especially when compared to the front. Running a much more aggressive wing overnight. Results to be posted in the AM.

The airflow seems to glide right over all the geometry in the center section. Including the potentially worriesome rear shock tower hump.

So I'm thinking the main design challenge in fitting a LMP body to a touring car is clearing the front shock towers without creating massive front downforce that can't be overcome with an adequately sized rear wing. Make a heck of a small track body, though!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

I might be able to help you out on forming your body..just drop me a line at [email protected], I have a nice factory built unit that I pull spoilers off of for my 1/4 scale cars.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Love the design mate, keep posting with your progress.
Ben
Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

or maybe you can wait for this tamiya body to come out..................

Old 06-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Oh man, that Courage is hot! I need a cigar!
Is that made for a touring car, though? Doesn't seem like it would clear the shock towers in the front and rear.

GResults, once I get this mold finished, if it looks like a vacform machine isn't going to show up anytime soon, I may get with you to pull a few bodies to get us started.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Its made for the Tamiya F103GT (2WD, No Shock Towers): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58367
Old 06-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Birky
Its made for the Tamiya F103GT (2WD, No Shock Towers): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58367
Argh. That thing is sweet! The only picture of a LMP type body on what seems to be a touring car is this one. Looks to be a Group C Porsche on some kind of Nitro TC. No idea who makes it.
Attached Thumbnails Can someone Vacuum a Shell for me?-left.jpg  
Old 06-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Yeah a few years back Tamiya did a few Le Mans cars.

- Toyota GT-ONE
- Audi R8
- Porsche 911 GT1
- Nissan R390GT1

The first three were for the first F103's but the R390 was for a touring car chassis.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Birky
Yeah a few years back Tamiya did a few Le Mans cars.

- Toyota GT-ONE
- Audi R8
- Porsche 911 GT1
- Nissan R390GT1

The first three were for the first F103's but the R390 was for a touring car chassis.
Yeah, doesn't seem like it's much of a challenge to fit a LMP on the F103. The R390 is a little easier since it doesn't have an underbody with channels between the cockpit and fender pods. Probably still has a ton of downforce. I'd love for someone to compare their R390 to this shell when it is ready.

I still wonder who made that Porsche in the pic above?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Finally got convergence and the numbers have changed. Also finally got it to run at 5mm ride height. This reduces the downforce numbers tremendously. No joke here, get the body as low as possible for max downforce! I might run another simulation at 6mm to see what just 1mm does, with no other changes.

@30mph:
Drag: 0.80lbf
Downforce: 0.35lbf
Center of pressure: 4.5" behind front wheels (56% front balance) and approx 3/4" from the ground. I was really surprised to find that the center of pressure was that low. If this body doesn't generate another ounce of downforce vs the Mazda and Stratuses of the world, the low CP alone might help you realize some noteable gains in stability and cornering ability.

Trace Lines show that the rear shock tower hump isn't bad at all. Might even be accelerating the air a bit before going beneath the wing. The wing seems high enough to capture any air that gets catapulted by it.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Sam, any news of late? How are things going with the shell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.