Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Knifeless Vinyl cutting string to cut paint mask >

Knifeless Vinyl cutting string to cut paint mask

Like Tree3Likes

Knifeless Vinyl cutting string to cut paint mask

Old 12-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Knifeless Vinyl cutting string to cut paint mask

Has anyone tried to use vinyl cutting string to cut liquid paint mask. It is used in the automotive vinyl wrap industry. They lay the tape/string down first. Stick the vinyl over it. Then pull the string up to get a nice clean cut line without scoring the car paint.

My process would be to lay the tape/cut string down first. Then sprayed liquid mask in. The pulled up the string to cut the liquid mask lines.

Thanks
Michael
Old 12-31-2023, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've not tried it for rc, but I've wrapped many many full sized cars. I don't think you would get a clean enough edge as it's the thread is basically pulling through a gel of the liquid mask film. Also your edges would all lift and need to be set back down in the mask. I may be wrong, but I don't see it working at all.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

What about putting vinyl mask sheet down and using tape to cut it?
Old 02-12-2024, 07:51 PM
Tech Initiate

If you're having trouble with cutting straight or consistent lines, there is no substitute for experience. I've been commission painting for a year now, and I still need improvement.

What you can do is cut slightly wide of your intended line, and re-mask with fine line tape. That way you keep the integrity of your liquid mask while making laser straight lines. But it's way more work.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KittensMcTavish
If you're having trouble with cutting straight or consistent lines, there is no substitute for experience. I've been commission painting for a year now, and I still need improvement.

What you can do is cut slightly wide of your intended line, and re-mask with fine line tape. That way you keep the integrity of your liquid mask while making laser straight lines. But it's way more work.
I have no problem with cutting line with a knife except on the ultralight touring car and 12th scale bodies. They are so thin that cutting lines with an exacto knife leaves score marks.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I haven't used it for liquid mask but I have used it on car bodies putting wrap on the outside. You could make masks with actual vinyl wrap if you wanted because with the wrap when you put some heat on it the edges all tighten back up smooth. I'm not sure that would be the case with liquid mask. I have both here so I'll try it out on scrap lexan and report back.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mbunker
I have no problem with cutting line with a knife except on the ultralight touring car and 12th scale bodies. They are so thin that cutting lines with an exacto knife leaves score marks.
I hear ya. I think ultralight bodies are a joke. I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the knife at moments. I have to constantly remind myself to ease up on the pressure. My policy now is " fresh body, fresh blade". Every body I touch gets a new blade.

The only solution that I could see being effective for ultralight lexan would be HEAVY application of liquid mask. The thicker the mask, the more controlled the plunge depth of the blade (to an extent).
Old 02-18-2024, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only way I can see this tape working is if a liquid mask is applied on one side, and use the tape itself to form the edge. But then that begs the question - will the tape itself lift or will it produce a clean edge?
Old 02-23-2024, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Liquid mask is much less adherent than the vinyl knifeless tape is designed to cut, so I would think the process of pulling the wire the cut the mask then extracting the wire-carrying green tape will cause significant sealing problems with the liquid mask layer. My guess is there would be a lot of bleeding along the cut line.

Scale could also be a problem. Knifeless tape has trouble cutting tight-radius turns because the wire-carrying green tape tends to buckle and bunch up when the radius becomes too tight. There are ways around this (new designs or relief cuts), but it's a lot of work.

For context, I have worked with knifeless tape on bicycles when applying vinyl designs and paint protection film, but I'm far from an expert. I was never really happy with knifeless tape on "bike" scale vinyl designs, though it was nice for PPF. I use liquid mask all the time on RC bodies. I do have both here and am curious to see what Vertebreaker comes back with from testing.

Last edited by Angry_Axolotl; 02-24-2024 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

I just found my liquid mask today. I had it boxed up with art supplies since I don't use it that much. I'll try and mock up a few different samples and see how it comes out.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Well to my surpise it did work much better than I thought. You can get a very clean edge if you use the knifeless tape and make the design where the actual thread is located. When I pulled it, it came out and cut it clean. You'll still have the actual carrier tape underneath but one side of the tape should come up fine. It's hard to say about getting all of the tape to pull up though because it might pull up but it was still pretty clean. You can see some of those pictures there too where I was peeling the green tape off after the thread and it was a fairly good edge but you can see a bit of lifting above it.

Angry_Axolotl likes this.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Interesting. Thanks for checking that. Am I right in thinking that if you really wanted to use this method, the best thing to do is to leave the carrier tape in place on the "masked" area for the sharpest edge? I'd be happy to try to look into this too, but I'm not allowed to post pictures on this forum yet (I haven't hit whatever the requirements are).

As a follow-up to the scale problem I mentioned above, you can see the green carrier tape buckling around curves in some of Vertebreaker's pictures. This area is where I'd imagine most bleeding problems would occur.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah I believe that the best case would be to leave the carrier tape in place to not risk pulling it up to keep the edge sharp. Also I think the tape can be put down so it won't buckle as I've done plenty of curves in the past but this was a very rushed job laying it down. I remembered late that night that I didn't do it so I quickly slapped the tape on there and started putting the liquid mask over it before I went to bed. If this is done properly I don't think it will be a problem and for certain designs you use two seperate pieces of tape to cut the mask. Depending on the design you would just plan out where to have the thread start and maybe have it exposed and bent up and away from the body and put liquid mask around it.
Before I peeled it I really didn't think this was going to work that well but now I think I might try and incorporate this in as a technique because it really can make some contours so much easier to do because you would just have to take your time applying the tape nice and smooth and not worrying about a steady cutting hand in awkward positions. My peeling pictures were me doing it fairly crudely too without much technique so I think it can be even better with a more careful approach.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Vertebreaker
Yeah I believe that the best case would be to leave the carrier tape in place to not risk pulling it up to keep the edge sharp. Also I think the tape can be put down so it won't buckle as I've done plenty of curves in the past but this was a very rushed job laying it down. I remembered late that night that I didn't do it so I quickly slapped the tape on there and started putting the liquid mask over it before I went to bed. If this is done properly I don't think it will be a problem and for certain designs you use two seperate pieces of tape to cut the mask. Depending on the design you would just plan out where to have the thread start and maybe have it exposed and bent up and away from the body and put liquid mask around it.
Before I peeled it I really didn't think this was going to work that well but now I think I might try and incorporate this in as a technique because it really can make some contours so much easier to do because you would just have to take your time applying the tape nice and smooth and not worrying about a steady cutting hand in awkward positions. My peeling pictures were me doing it fairly crudely too without much technique so I think it can be even better with a more careful approach.
Thank you for testing this out. Im going to order some knifeless cutting tape and use it on my next ultralight weight body.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

If you're willing to share pics of how the process goes, I'd love to see it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.