Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Auto Air gurus: Question about thinning ratios >

Auto Air gurus: Question about thinning ratios

Auto Air gurus: Question about thinning ratios

Old 08-12-2022, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Auto Air gurus: Question about thinning ratios

Hi guys,

I stopped by a local paint store to pick up a few bottles of Auto Air paint and they had a 70% discount on pearls, metallics and candies, so I ended up bringing home about 15 bottles! The stuff is normally so expensive so I couldn't pass up the deal.

Anyway, the 4-oz. bottles were all new, still sealed, but clearly some major evaporation had happened to most of the paints, these might've been sitting on the shelf for years. Upon opening some of them to do a guitar painting project, they were thick as molasses, poured out in globs rather than a liquid, and some of the bottles looked half-empty due to the evaporation of fluids.

My question is regarding thinning these to make them ready to spray with either my 0.8mm trigger airbrush or 1.3mm LVLP R500 spray gun. Normally with Parma Faskolor paints, I'd just thin with my 50/50 mix of Windex/water until it's the consistency of milk, and I'm good to go. But with Auto Air pearls, candies and metallics all needing to be also mixed 4:1 with Auto Air Balancer, this complicates the ratios. My logic is telling me I should first thin the semi-evaporated paints to the desired spraying consistency of milk with A-A Reducer, and THEN measure a 4:1 ratio of the thinned paint with Balancer. Is this correct? If not, please share your tips for how you prepare overly-thick semi-evaporated paints for spraying. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2022, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Wow. 3 days, 130+ views and nobody has a clue. I was under the impression RCTech.net was THE source for all information, gurus and experts abound, but thus far not a boo about what ought to be a fairly common problem. Or do the experts here only respond to topics posted by the more common, popular members? Or maybe I'm the only person who uses Auto Air paints...lol. Sheesh, not impressed.

Since nobody here seems to have an answer, my logic was actually pretty good. I first thinned out the globby, goopy paint with A-A thinner until it was about the familiar consistency of milk, and then added Balancer in a 3:1 ratio with the newly-thinned paint. That sprayed out of my R500 spray gun, 1.3mm tip at 30 PSI quite well.