A new paint suggestion - Liquitex

Old 07-21-2022, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Default A new paint suggestion - Liquitex

I know a lot of people who airbrush with acrylics are likely using Createx, Pro-Line, Faskolor, or other similar brands, but I just wanted to share my experience with Liquitex paints. Liquitex has a line of Soft Body acrylic paints, packaged in small 2 Oz. Jars to larger squeeze tubes.

The consistency of the paint itself is a “soft” paste (hence the name “Soft Body”), but what a lot of people may not know is that Liquitex also makes an Airbrush Medium intended specifically for use with this line. So yes, while the paints listed above are generally more “ready to use” with minimal additives straight out of the bottle, if you like mixing your own colors, you might want to give the line a look.

Pros:
- The Airbrush Medium mixes really well with this paint. Mixed carefully, it was pretty easy to get that “skim milk” consistency.
- Shooting at about 18-20 PSI, the mist/coverage was silky smooth, and I had almost no tip dry (I find Createx is sometimes hit or miss in this regard).
- Ran a 4 day event with a body painted the weekend before. No adhesion problems at all!
- I used Black and White (which is more like a Titanium White), and I painted the rest of the body with Createx colors, so again, no adhesion issues between coats; the two formulations work well together (NOT mixed together - just sharing the same painted space… ).

Cons:
- Well, you do have to mix it yourself, so depending on how good you are at consistency, YMMV with your painting results (spraying, tip dry, etc.)
- The palette is… interesting. For example, the primary colors aren’t quite.. primary, lol. But if you like experimenting with colors, there’s quite a bit to experiment with, so this could actually turn around and be a Pro.
-A bit pricier, but again, considering that you have to mix/thin it with the Medium, you may actually be getting quite a bit of paint for what you use.

So for those wanting to check it out, head over to the Liquitex website* and check out the Soft Body line.

*DISCLAIMER: NOT a sponsored post or anything, lol - just sharing my experience.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-08-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for sharing your experience. For me it is not only interesting, but also useful. I admit, I re-read each of your posts with pleasure several times.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JackieAnder View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. For me it is not only interesting, but also useful. I admit, I re-read each of your posts with pleasure several times.
Don’t mention it. Just doing my part to share with fellow hobbyists.