Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polycarbonate paint choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 05:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there a brush-able lexan paint you'd suggest?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Paint

Originally Posted by RynoRC
Is there a brush-able lexan paint you'd suggest?
Testors makes an Acrylic version ... Acrylic is Acrylic.. I will do a mil film build flex test if anyone would like me to to prove one way or another will it stay on Polycarbonate but as for all the product data sheets on Polycarbonate it says Acrylic. Therefore I have a tendency to believe if the Testors model paint they offer says Acrylic on their bottles that is what it is and what it's designed for.. But what do I know....

Last edited by IbeBondo0151; 07-31-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-31-2021, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Testors

The Testors model paint was marked Acrylic and I have some left over polycarbonate clear and can do a flex test to determine if it will stay or crack /peel off. I can do multiple colors to see if the pigment makes any difference and I will also do it in a film build thickness way beyond what you would normally use to see how far I can push it.. Multiple levels of dry or multiple levels applied wet to also determine if they bond to a dried coat or peels from itself or the Polycarbonate.. I can test and do a video if you would like. ... Let me know..
Old 08-02-2021, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Apologies - I assumed we were all talking about Testor's Acrylics, as that's what I used. Goes on kinda funky, but it worked for the grunge effect I was going for. Appreciate your input!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Paint

Originally Posted by RynoRC
Apologies - I assumed we were all talking about Testor's Acrylics, as that's what I used. Goes on kinda funky, but it worked for the grunge effect I was going for. Appreciate your input!
no apologies necessary. It wasnt actually directed at you, it was the group honestly.. Yes the Testors is made in Enamel and will not stay well at all but they also make it in Acrylic and per the Body manufacturers they all say ACRYLIC .. So acrylic is Acrylic right? Lol.. Maybe not who knows.. Thats why I offered to do testing of any products longevity and durability.. I worked for multiple Paint manufacturers as a Rep and did alot of paint testing and evaluation so its what I do or have done over the last 30yrs of my Paint career.. That offer to test any paint is open and I will do any of them for you guys if you would like.. Be blessed
Old 08-04-2021, 06:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nah. I don't think it's necessary. Sounds like we all know better than to use enamel.

I'm getting a new 1/10 buggy today, and the body will be one of the first things I do with the kit. Plan on doing some more brushing with acrylics. Pics to come!