Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Proline Bodies Mold Release Paint Not Sticking >

Proline Bodies Mold Release Paint Not Sticking

Like Tree6Likes

Proline Bodies Mold Release Paint Not Sticking

Old 10-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default Proline Bodies Mold Release Paint Not Sticking

Painters, I had my go to painter paint Proline axis bodies for my B6.2 and B74. Both came out great except for the fact the paint is flaking off very easily. To the point where just the velcro is peeling back with the paint. Now before you say inexperienced painter keep in mind my painter does thousands of bodies. He is stating their mould release never completely washed off.

Have any of you painters experienced this with Proline bodies recently? If you have is there any workaround you’ve found that fixes the issue?

thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Proline has had this issue for at least a year and a half, I’ve spoken to the owner (past owner) as he was trying to solve the issue
I believe after all this time it’s their lexan (raw material) not just mold release problem

So yes it’s a serious issue they have put little to no attention into correcting so far
Old 10-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks so much for reply. Just sucks as I bought 4 bodies and they’re junk. I reached out to Proline and pretty much blew me off. Not sure what to do.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timannnn6 View Post
Thanks so much for reply. Just sucks as I bought 4 bodies and they’re junk. I reached out to Proline and pretty much blew me off. Not sure what to do.
As your painter I need to make a correction. The first set you bought and when there was an issue brought to my attention I replaced them at my expense because its the right thing to do. I did say this was an issue before painting them but we went ahead and tried again. The second set also had the same issue. I again offered to replace them with a different brand because im not painting anymore PL bodies untill they address this issue.

As I explained myself and several other painters are having issues. We've all tried several things to work around the issue with no success. I have reached out to PL several times and had little to no solution.
Bsthetech likes this.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Yes Erik, I was just trying to convey the issue. You were awesome in trying to take care of me. Nothing on you, I hope you know that. But proline basically giving me generic answer and closing their in house ticket frustrates me beyond belief.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timannnn6 View Post
Yes Erik, I was just trying to convey the issue. You were awesome in trying to take care of me. Nothing on you, I hope you know that. But proline basically giving me generic answer and closing their in house ticket frustrates me beyond belief.
I totally understand because i get the same answers from them.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just like to thank you guys for putting this out there for the rest of us. I'll be needing to paint a couple of bodies before long with one of them being a short course and they're not cheap. I recently painted the Proline stadium truck body that comes with the associated T6.1 so I'll know soon enough if I have the same problem. Thanks again
Bsthetech likes this.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Just as some additional information, I reached out to proline almost 2 years ago when this frost started, yes 2 years ago
The common answer is “we can not replicate this complaint in-house”
Almost a year later the owner (not anymore obviously) talked to me direct via phone call, I told him just go out there in warehouse and open any baggie and run your finger inside the body, odds are it will be slippery. He did, and he has the guys reach out to me (same ones I reached out to)
I explained it all again

and here we are, dude sold the company and the issue remains
hopefully horizon will solve it because their bodies have never had issues
timannnn6, elex300 and Bsthetech like this.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had a separate issue with Protoform bodies (their subsidiary). The paint masks shrivelled after using glass cleaner to position them. No problem now as I use liquid mask for everything but a problem to be aware of.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are we washing the inside of the bodies with soap and water before painting???
Im not a pro by any stretch, but I ALWAYS wash first. Sometimes I take 000 steel wool and gently wash with that, being careful around where the clear would be for windows. I do that, and even enamel rattle can paint doesnt flake.
or am I missing something??
Old 10-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have painted quite a bit and struggled with Proline and Protoform bodies.

And I found that the following works.

Wash the body with dish soap and has hot as water as your hands can stand. Focus on crevices/curved parts.

Then while still in sink, I use a green and yellow dish sponge and scuff the body with the green side of sponge and water. Once again focusing on creases as the flat surfaces *typically aren’t too bad.

Once painting. Your first pass HAS to be super light. Like a dusting and then use hair dryer to dry which shouldn’t take but a second to dry. I then do one more lighter than normal pass. Hair dryer. Then should be good to go to paint as normal

Scuffing helps paint adhere. First two super light passes sticks to scuff. Than then the normal paint sticks to light passes.

Hope that helps and hope PF/Proline can fix this.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Painted my first pro-line (Protoform) body in longer than I realized this week.

I did notice the slippery feel on the inside of the body (and only the inside).

After trimming and washing with hot water, soap and scotch brite, there was still some kind of film I didn't like.

Without proof, I'm 90% sure it's some form of silicone lube.

So, I hosed down the inside of the body with my spray bottle of denatured alcohol, moving everything in the same direction (I started at the nose, and moved to the tail with the nose held up in the air), After that was sufficiently chased out, I re-washed as per normal and let dry again.

Surface felt as I expected, paint laid in nice, and is holding up quite well. Sucks about the extra steps, but that's the work-around I came up with until they ban silicone from the mold room.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Here are a couple pictures of what the Proline slime will do to your efforts

ASM likes this.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the pictures. I thought that the liquid mask was leaving a film . I started wiping down with alcohol after removing mask. It help a little but I would still get fish eye every so often.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 AM
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've run into this very same issue on J71 body. Body was thoroughly washed and cleaned. It was a rattle can job with Tamiya PS-5 paint. Peeled the window mask...and the roof and door paint came off with it. To say I was pissed was an understatement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.