These are all candy colors. I guess I went a little overboard
Old 03-06-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Whats the step paint candy red,Iím new at painting
Old 03-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Emery1 View Post
Whats the step paint candy red,I’m new at painting
the red is very impressive. The pictures dont do it justice. Its a very simple process. You get a red translucent. i tried dry coating at first to keep the weight down but i found that the color will look much more consistent if you wet coat 2 or 3 times by using a light at an angle. After the red I hit it with an extremely good chrome and this created allot of depth. And then i backed it with a black or white, the cool thing about candy colors is that the second layer (in my case chrome) makes a significant difference in the final color. i painted a motorcycle with a gold base and it looked very different than the same process with chrome. Ill bet if you wanted to do some subtle textures underneath the translucent with stencils or something it would look pretty cool.

if you look at the fenders on the red car you can see it is darker than the rest of the body. This came from the dry coating. It looks ok but I prefer the rest of the body just because the depth is obvious.

I used the spaz Stix candy on the red car. The orange car had a big mistake. I used some other brand of candy that wasnt specific to polycarbonate. When i pulled the windshield tape the candy came off with the tape. I hit it with the chrome and that helped the candy stick but you can see above the windshield the chrome mistake.
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

For candy red i use Tamiya translucent red backed by ps12 silver
Bry195 likes this.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice work.. they look great. Pick up a can of tamiya lame flake. Spray a coat or two of that for a real pop. I thought about the chrome backer on candy. Will try for my next body as I have the black backer can already. But yeah try the flake if you haven't. Just 1 or 2 coats should do. As you later the paint after the effect becomes better.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bry195 View Post
the red is very impressive. The pictures dont do it justice. Its a very simple process. You get a red translucent. i tried dry coating at first to keep the weight down but i found that the color will look much more consistent if you wet coat 2 or 3 times by using a light at an angle. After the red I hit it with an extremely good chrome and this created allot of depth. And then i backed it with a black or white, the cool thing about candy colors is that the second layer (in my case chrome) makes a significant difference in the final color. i painted a motorcycle with a gold base and it looked very different than the same process with chrome. Ill bet if you wanted to do some subtle textures underneath the translucent with stencils or something it would look pretty cool.

if you look at the fenders on the red car you can see it is darker than the rest of the body. This came from the dry coating. It looks ok but I prefer the rest of the body just because the depth is obvious.

I used the spaz Stix candy on the red car. The orange car had a big mistake. I used some other brand of candy that wasnt specific to polycarbonate. When i pulled the windshield tape the candy came off with the tape. I hit it with the chrome and that helped the candy stick but you can see above the windshield the chrome mistake.

When you say Dry coating or Wet coating does that mean you let it dry or remain wet between coats? I am new sorry.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MattKimble View Post
When you say Dry coating or Wet coating does that mean you let it dry or remain wet between coats? I am new sorry.
I believe a wet coat is a thicker coat vs a dry coat which is lighter. But I can be wrong here so if anyone can shed some light
Old 01-13-2021, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

It's an amazing work
Old 01-13-2021, 02:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe there is some kind of social network where there are other of your works?
Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Love that orange, was it also Spaz Stix?
Old 08-22-2021, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I personally prefer to back Candy Red and Purple with Gold. The Blue and Green seem to like silver.