Airbrush paint flow query?

Old 09-11-2019, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Airbrush paint flow query?

Hello all,

I've just broken out the airbrush again. I've never to be able to get paint to spray out of it, so I bought some airbrush medium to try and improve things. I did get some paint to come out, but only after I return the needle back towards the front. The airbrush sprays a bit of paint then stops. If I hold the needle at that point nothing else comes out. PSI is about 20, using faskolor black.

I have had trouble working out how to get the paint thin enough or whether I'm using the correct PSI, the whole "Milk Consistency" guide really throws me.

I've broken down the brush and cleaned it thoroughly to try again tomorrow, but is there anything specific that would cause this brief flow of paint when the needle moves back towards the close position?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Faskolor is really really thick, you need to thin that paint out a lot to properly spray it. 15-20 PSI should be about right. Also, darker colors are thicker than light, so keep that in mind too.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,
There are 2 main types of airbrush paints. Acrylic, like Parma Faskolor, Createx, and Proline (water based) and solvent paints like Spazstix, Tamiya etc.The solvent paints are much thinner than the acrylics so spraying them at 20 psi is fine. For the acrylics I spray them at 35psi. The TRANSPARENT acrylic paints can be sprayed at around 20psi. Your air brush is key as well. Are you using one that has a needle/nozzle of 3.5 or larger. Acrylics work well with the larger nozzle size.
hope this helps
caci623
Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. After cleaning the airbrush I thinned the paint right down and upped the PSI which got paint flowing through the airbrush. Now the practice begins....