Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Paint flaking off. Should I scuff before or after liquid mask? >

Paint flaking off. Should I scuff before or after liquid mask?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paint flaking off. Should I scuff before or after liquid mask?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Paint flaking off. Should I scuff before or after liquid mask?

Been having bad luck with wicked colors water based paint flaking off very easily after the body is painted. The old Tamiya spray bombs we're 10 times more durable. I have read some post that say you can lightly scuff the inside of the body to get the paint to stick better. My question is can you do this if you're going to use liquid mask? I would have to scuff it before liquid mask and we'll have a problem with the liquid mask not wanting to come of after I scuff it?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Ive painted a bunch of bodies using Faskolor and Createx with no scuffing and never experienced flaking.
Are you washing the body with hot soapy water to remove any release agent before masking and painting? Next I would look at the environment, be sure to paint indoors and out of the cold.
The spray cans are lacquer so theres the adhesion difference.
Ive only recently started scuffing due to lifting thin lines with vinyl masks on 1/27 scale stuff. I don't see why scuffing would fuse the liquid mask to the body. Don't use the blue plastic dish pads, they do virtually nothing. I use a small piece of gray scotchbrite until the micro scratches produce a slight haze.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I may have been holding the airbrush too far away causing paint to start drying before it hits the body.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
If not carefully prepped, the paint will not stick to the Lexan properly, will flake off. you should scuff and then apply liquid mask.