Paint options for lexan/polycarbonate

Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Paint options for lexan/polycarbonate

As the question says, what other paint can be used for lexan/polycarbonate bodies without cracking/peeling when the plastic flexes? Tamiya spray cans are expensive and can't mix personalized colors using them. I'd like to paint using my airbrush and mix my own colors.

I use automotive acrylic and polyurethane for my painting applications using airbrush and spray gun. Was wondering if I could use them for polycarbonate too.

(I also posted topic this in Tamiya Club. I just want to see opnions of people from RCtech)
Old 11-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Proline just came out with their colors https://www.prolineracing.com/paint/
Old 11-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Createx, Proline, Mission Models RC (0n Amain), Badger RC Air (Amazon) are water based paints. Then there are Spazstix, and Duratrax enamel paints
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
Createx, Proline, Mission Models RC (0n Amain), Badger RC Air (Amazon) are water based paints. Then there are Spazstix, and Duratrax enamel paints
Yeah, I was told Spazstix was water based. I spend the bottle and NO. I really hate cleaning up after enamel paints.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I airbrushed T-shirts years ago, and Createx was one of my "go-to" paints. However, I haven't painted any of my own RC bodies before, but I am gearing up to start (new airbrush & compressor should be delivered in 2-3 days, and hope to order a new spray booth before the end of the day). I know Pro-Line has their lineup, but I am interested/curious in knowing what Createx paints work best. When I was airbrushing T-shirts, they only had one line...but, now, I see they have several different paint lines, with two standing out as the "highest probability" - Createx Airbrush Colors (my old "go-to), and Wicked Colors. If I were to go with Createx, should I just stick with what I've used in the past (albeit, on T-shirts), or can their Wicked Colors line be used on Lexan RC bodies?

Speaking of Pro-Line RC Body Paint, compared to Createx, is one better than the other in terms of quality, durability, etc? And, are there any other brands that should seriously be considered? I haven't airbrushed in over 20 years, and I'm sure the paint technology has advanced at least somewhat since then...plus, again, my previous airbrushing experience has been with T-shirts (ok, and a few other things...leather, travel mugs, jewelry boxes, etc)...thus why I'm asking. I'm sure all the currently-available brands are "good", and I'm not necessarily looking for "the best", but I do want something that's among the best quality, is durable, and offers at least a fairly large color selection.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Proline just came out with their colors https://www.prolineracing.com/paint/
Yes...and no. Yes, you can buy Pro-Line RC paints...but they don't make them. Pro-Line's paints are made for them by...Createx. So, whichever you get, you're getting excellent quality paints (I was using Created paints for airbrushing T-shirts over 20 years ago).

Last edited by Panther6834; 04-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

I mainly use the AutoAir line from Createx
Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Vallejo also makes poly paints you can mix
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Decided to go with Createx's Wicked Colors line.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've used both of these and they stick to lexan better than anything I've ever used:

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/v...abric-coating/

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/e...-with-ceramic/

I never prepare my shells with scuffing or anything like that. These paints are available from any auto parts store and you get a large can for around $7. I've painted half a dozen shells with the vinyl/fabric paint and there's never been any cracking or flaking of any kind. I just painted my Stampede body with the Chrysler Hemi Orange engine enamel. Before painting my shell, I tested it on a scrap piece of lexan. I then tried unsuccessfully to twist and scratch paint off: