R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Paint question

Hey Guys,

So I've just painted my first hard shell ABS body in a long time -

I sanded the body with 600 and 1500 sandpaper, washed, rinsed, and then wiped down with alcohol and lint free towels, then blasted with air just to make sure no dust was on it.

I primed with the tamiya light primer 2 coats.

I then painted 2 coats of base color, 24 hours apart.

The paint in some areas looks semi glossy and some areas glossy you can def feel the diff on the surface.

What did I most likely screw up?

Should I try to fix it or start with a new body?

JeffSpicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get some brake fluid (not brake cleaner) and it will eat the paint right off without hurting the plastic. When I paint abs bodies I just scuff them with a gray scuff pad and then wash the body with Dawn dish soap, once it's dry I wipe it with a tack rag and hit it with a light coat of plastic adhesion promoter and then spray the base color on. Once you're satisfied that the color has coverage and looks uniform then it's time for clear. 1600 grit isn't enough scratch to paint over, If you feel the need to wetsand it then I would go with a minimum of 800 grit. What base and clear are you using?

If I had to take a wild guess without any further information I would say that the basecoat started to soak into the primer which would explain the difference in texture and shine. If you are using products from an aerosol can that might also explain your issues. Aerosol base and clear both have a certain amount of texture to them and trying to get them to go on as smooth as paint from a gun is almost impossible, it's just the nature of the beast. Aerosol clear is also very prone to die back which would also cause some areas to be shinier than others.

Last edited by olds45512; 03-14-2018 at 07:45 AM.
olds45512 is offline   Reply With Quote