Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By olds45512

Clearcoat question

Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Clearcoat question

So I've begrudgingly been talked into painting my own Tamiya Brat body by s2 and pa.deakin ---

I've laid the primer down and about to go onto basecoating.

My question is do you guys lay clear over your decals or lay clear then decals on top of everything?

I'm imagining there could be a reaction between the clear and the decals but maybe not?

thanks in advance!
C.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would clear first and then put the decals on. If you clear over the decals an they start to peel later it will create a mess that you don't want to deal with, plus the clear won't stick to the decal as well as it will to the basecoat which might cause another set of issues. This advice is coming from a professional collision repair tech with 20yrs experience.
Highrisedrifter likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
I would clear first and then put the decals on. If you clear over the decals an they start to peel later it will create a mess that you don't want to deal with, plus the clear won't stick to the decal as well as it will to the basecoat which might cause another set of issues. This advice is coming from a professional collision repair tech with 20yrs experience.
Totally get it. that's kinda what I thought. I thought maybe for some reason the clear added some protection that people liked to decals but if the decals are on top of the clear I'm guessing you can much more easily replace decals.

thanks!