Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By olds45512

First Paint Job

Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5
Default First Paint Job

I'm getting into 1/12 scale and will be painting my first body here shortly. I'm wanting to do an all white body with a racing stripe in some color going down the center of the car. I spoke to a guy at my local rc club and he mentioned he taped his stripes, painted the whole body white, covered the white with silver until you couldn't see through the white anymore, removed his taped lines and painted with a color and finally went back and evened everything back up with the silver. His lines and car looked really good, I was just curious if anyone else on here has tried this method before and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I'm also looking into using Pactra paints so any recommendations on those would be appreciated as well.
loganblankk is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:20 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,264
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by loganblankk
I'm getting into 1/12 scale and will be painting my first body here shortly. I'm wanting to do an all white body with a racing stripe in some color going down the center of the car. I spoke to a guy at my local rc club and he mentioned he taped his stripes, painted the whole body white, covered the white with silver until you couldn't see through the white anymore, removed his taped lines and painted with a color and finally went back and evened everything back up with the silver. His lines and car looked really good, I was just curious if anyone else on here has tried this method before and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I'm also looking into using Pactra paints so any recommendations on those would be appreciated as well.
That's pretty much the way to do it. The only thing people would change is the tape used and maybe the backing color but that's the process I would go with. Some prefer liquid mask, some prefer masking tape. I used a wide masking tape at first and then used an xacto blade to cut the lines to the width I wanted.
EbbTide is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
olds45512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana,PA
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

If it were me I would tape it off and spray the stripe first, then you can untape it and spray the body white and be done. You should always spray the darker colors first.
olds45512 is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,264
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by olds45512
If it were me I would tape it off and spray the stripe first, then you can untape it and spray the body white and be done. You should always spray the darker colors first.
Wouldn't that require taping off the entire body and just leaving the stripe? Seems like a lot of extra work for a simple design.
EbbTide is offline  
Old 02-08-2018, 10:41 AM
  #5  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
olds45512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana,PA
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Wouldn't that require taping off the entire body and just leaving the stripe? Seems like a lot of extra work for a simple design.
I would tape the stripe off and then use newspaper to cover the rest of the body. It really wouldn't take long at all and eliminates the need to back the white up before spraying on the stripe color.
mschumi101 and EbbTide like this.
olds45512 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 AM
  #6  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by olds45512
I would tape the stripe off and then use newspaper to cover the rest of the body. It really wouldn't take long at all and eliminates the need to back the white up before spraying on the stripe color.
That's what I originally thought about doing until someone told me about the method I described in the original post. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
loganblankk is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 923
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by loganblankk
That's what I originally thought about doing until someone told me about the method I described in the original post. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
In my mind the first method is far easier but should have a slightly different look. Do you care about weight or the amount of paint you are using? If so, the second method is more efficient.
nubs is offline  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Vdubnut626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

I like the 1st method
Vdubnut626 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.