Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By olds45512

First Paint Job

Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First Paint Job

I'm getting into 1/12 scale and will be painting my first body here shortly. I'm wanting to do an all white body with a racing stripe in some color going down the center of the car. I spoke to a guy at my local rc club and he mentioned he taped his stripes, painted the whole body white, covered the white with silver until you couldn't see through the white anymore, removed his taped lines and painted with a color and finally went back and evened everything back up with the silver. His lines and car looked really good, I was just curious if anyone else on here has tried this method before and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I'm also looking into using Pactra paints so any recommendations on those would be appreciated as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loganblankk
I'm getting into 1/12 scale and will be painting my first body here shortly. I'm wanting to do an all white body with a racing stripe in some color going down the center of the car. I spoke to a guy at my local rc club and he mentioned he taped his stripes, painted the whole body white, covered the white with silver until you couldn't see through the white anymore, removed his taped lines and painted with a color and finally went back and evened everything back up with the silver. His lines and car looked really good, I was just curious if anyone else on here has tried this method before and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I'm also looking into using Pactra paints so any recommendations on those would be appreciated as well.
That's pretty much the way to do it. The only thing people would change is the tape used and maybe the backing color but that's the process I would go with. Some prefer liquid mask, some prefer masking tape. I used a wide masking tape at first and then used an xacto blade to cut the lines to the width I wanted.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If it were me I would tape it off and spray the stripe first, then you can untape it and spray the body white and be done. You should always spray the darker colors first.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olds45512
If it were me I would tape it off and spray the stripe first, then you can untape it and spray the body white and be done. You should always spray the darker colors first.
Wouldn't that require taping off the entire body and just leaving the stripe? Seems like a lot of extra work for a simple design.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Wouldn't that require taping off the entire body and just leaving the stripe? Seems like a lot of extra work for a simple design.
I would tape the stripe off and then use newspaper to cover the rest of the body. It really wouldn't take long at all and eliminates the need to back the white up before spraying on the stripe color.
mschumi101 and EbbTide like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by olds45512
I would tape the stripe off and then use newspaper to cover the rest of the body. It really wouldn't take long at all and eliminates the need to back the white up before spraying on the stripe color.
That's what I originally thought about doing until someone told me about the method I described in the original post. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loganblankk
That's what I originally thought about doing until someone told me about the method I described in the original post. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
In my mind the first method is far easier but should have a slightly different look. Do you care about weight or the amount of paint you are using? If so, the second method is more efficient.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I like the 1st method